DPM & MTP kit thread

That is osprey assault (not technically osprey at all as it was a completely seperate design, just uses osprey plates) The first sets are rolling out now with the RIP currently going on. My Bn's A Coy have been issued their Mk7 and Osprey assault, i imagine i will get some pics back within a month or 2.

Darkchild

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they've changed to standard dimensions on the MOLLE webbing which is good, and being lighter is always a big plus. Although unsurprisingly, being british kit, it looks rather overly complex and fiddly in it's design; particularly concerning getting it on/off. Why must the guys in charge of buying this stuff always insist on attempting to make it different and better than the options already around? They never succeed.

What what? Of course the designers succeeded...it only costs half as much as comparable products and performs better, Bob Ainsworth told me so! ;)

On a more airsoft related note, I wonder if its possible to convert a Mich2001 to look like that taped up Mk7 above with a bit of creative material removal, my DPM'd up Mich2000 is a few pages back was based on some of the interim gentex-ish looking helmets.

Hmm, temperate UBACs, OD died/Kyrlon'd Osprey, Lowas and modded Mich/Mk 7-alike for the British Army off to Korea look?

Edited by RSM
Hmm, temperate UBACs, OD died/Kyrlon'd Osprey, Lowas and modded Mich/Mk 7-alike for the British Army off to Korea look?

Nope, for that you'll need a pecoc Helmet/Armour and the new crye British multicam ;) (of which no pictures exist so dont ask)

Darkchild

Nope, for that you'll need a pecoc Helmet/Armour and the new crye British multicam ;) (of which no pictures exist so dont ask)

Darkchild

So, is the Mk7 infact an interim helmet so troops have adequate head protection thats more compatible with Osprey in the prone position and when PECOC is due to roll out in 2011 they'll be another issue of PECOC spec helmets? (I take it they've scrapped the Gentexy looking ones?)

On a less serious note, is it me or is all the interim gear (Osprey assault, Mk.7) and the prototype PECOC gear (the stuff that was the highlight of the BBC reports a while back showing gear from 2003-potential PECOC stuff) making the army look a little like the Imperial Guard from 40K?

I can't stop visualising an imperial aquila in the middle of the somewhat uncomfortable looking chap posted earlier in the Osprey Assault and Mk7 lid....

So, is the Mk7 infact an interim helmet so troops have adequate head protection thats more compatible with Osprey in the prone position and when PECOC is due to roll out in 2011 they'll be another issue of PECOC spec helmets? (I take it they've scrapped the Gentexy looking ones?)

Yes its an interim helmet, it is in fact the old UKSF counter terrorist helmet re marketed as a new helmet. The PECOC system (complete) will be issued in 2011, providing they dont get delayed too much (hint: they will).

Gentex ones were scrapped after they didnt meet the coverage requirements of the medical board, they were too high cut at the back.

Darkchild

Hmm, old stuff remarketed as new to look like something is being done..are the MoD procurement team being headed up by the Prime Minister's spin team? :o

That said I did wonder why when if you google for a pic of the Mk7 you'll find a picture of someone in black kit in amongst the results, I would have thought though they they might have been more suitable for widespread issue when the army was sent into Iraq and there was a need for S10s and similar as it seems the Mk7/CT helmet is more compatible with the respirator without having to bugger about with things like key ring loop extensions on the chin strap clasp (or have I simply heard a load of cobblers?)

Although you said before that no pics of the new Crye DPM pattern exist (and I aint asking) would it be reasonable to assume that in addition to the pattern change the trousers might incorporate other Crye features like the built in kneepads?

My new blast belt form warrior of course fits nicely without a harness, just need a riggers belt as the duty belt is abit bulky underneath the blast belt. and suggestions on what else to get. Also not quite on topic but we scar or fix up my m16 so it works and some pimp bits like retractable stock ris etc??

new pics

Nice pics doughguy, nice realistic look to them.

Boom, you're very much a man after my own heart kit wise I have to say, looks good. My few bits of personal opinion and input:

-Tighten up the bottom of the trousers

-Tuck in the UBACS

-Far as I can tell the top of your chest is empty, if you can get one (I know I sure can't and not for lack of trying) a warrior large admin would look good there

Weapon wise I really like the M16, simple but with a couple of modern touches. The only thing I'd change would be stuff that's going to make it more comfortable for you to use. If you want a vert grip or other bits on there, add a rail unit; if you would prefer the pull between shoulder and pistol grip to be shorter (having stubby arms I know I do) then swap out the stock, otherwise it looks good to me. I'd definitely recommend a good 3-pt sling though, that would probably make life easier.

Although you said before that no pics of the new Crye DPM pattern exist (and I aint asking) would it be reasonable to assume that in addition to the pattern change the trousers might incorporate other Crye features like the built in kneepads?

No, the clothing pattern (just to be clear, the CLOTHING, not the camo pattern, i know it will cause confusion to some) is pretty much locked down. Think ACU cut shirts and trousers, with removable foam pads. The new UBACS is nearly the same but with seamless shoulders and less pads.

Darkchild