Change your pants - CA gets LWRC License

aznriptide859

To be fair, maskarijoe, it is replacing a lot of the SAWs. Not all of them, no, but enough of them for a lot of the Marines who are currently carrying the SAW to be unhappy about it. I can definitely see the point of it, but it does have its disadvantages as well, and I can see squads who have for years had a weapon with the ability to put down 100rds at a time getting into trouble when they realise they can't any more (and I'd argue it's not just a matter of training, either).

Fit the IAR with a larger magazine (capacity of 70 rounds or so, maybe) and it'd made an excellent replacement for most of the SAWs, without gimping the weapon or making the automatic rifleman stick out again. As is, I'd argue they're not using the rifle's full potential.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kinnerly: whoa whoa... this is not the place, but in OUR military (i.e. the UNITED STATES', not the queen's) there are 4 branches, 5 in a time of war, and the United States Marine Corps is definately one freaking big one. there are no "major" branches. watch what you say.

USCMcorps: i agree. Colt always seems to get these contracts...

havoc: it is replacing 2000 of the older, outdated models of the M249 (MKIIs). we will still have 8000 M249 SAWs left, compared to 4100 IARs.

ANYWAY, pablo, i agree. some care, some dont. if you dont... please dont comment, again ;)

thank you.

so, anyone know the difference between the M6A2 and PSD? a google search found nothing, though it was brief.

-Joe

PSD super shorty gun, like 8 inch barrel or something, meant for personal security detail and close in work where a lengthy standard assault rifle would be cumbersome, hence the name, Personal Security Detail (IIRC anyway). Also, I think it fires the 6.8spc round only... Cannot remember lol....

I believe you are correct.

The PSD was designed with the intent of firing the 6.8mm round but im pretty sure it can be rebarreled in 5.56 if the end user is so inclined.

Same general operating system only shortened down a bit.

Very nice guns, very pointable but the lack of an FSB scares me a bit. I grip my rifles very far forward on the handguards and i would be afraid of my hand slipping towards the muzzle in a dynamic stress situation.

The neat thing though is that there are quite a few companies developing handguard stops that do away with the broomstick but instead create a nub for your hand to butt up against in case of slipping or just as an object to apply pressure to.

Very cool stuff.

And fresh info from Spartan and CA. Confirmed he 2 inital LWRCs released will be...

post-532-1234419656_thumb.png

LWRC M6A2

post-532-1234419715_thumb.png

LWRC PSD

And these should be released sometime in Feb.

They look pretty good in those pics (at least the RIS does), but I'm guessing the RS trades aren't like that, correct?

Yes the trades are close to RS.

I think the problem with the trademarks is that while they're accurate they're not stamped like on the real lower receivers.

As seen in this photo:

http://www.lwrifles.com/Portals/0/Products...SD2rifLarge.jpg

But I don't think CA has ever done stamping for their receivers have they?

Edit: I would like to add though that it's nice to see CA getting the accessories right compared to what they displayed at SHOT Show '09. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Edit #2: If possible please also remind them that the LWRC M6A2 and PSD both come with the Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard. ;)

USCM - they have, but it was EONS ago, back before they started producing complete guns. You can still turn up their old Colt-marked receivers if you are patient.

But not in a long time then. The LWRC trademarks on the CA Replicas appear to either be laser etched or from Pad printing (more likely the former). My preference is generally to replicate what was done on the RS which in thise case would be to use stamping. That way, if I bought a black LWRC replica and wanted to paint it FDE, I wouldn't loose all those nice trademarks (at least on the lower, the upper looks to be laser engraved). Also a non-glossy finish would be preferred too. Can't win em all I guess.

kinnerly: whoa whoa... this is not the place, but in OUR military (i.e. the UNITED STATES', not the queen's) there are 4 branches, 5 in a time of war, and the United States Marine Corps is definately one freaking big one. there are no "major" branches. watch what you say.

I thought it was Army, Navy, Air Force? With USMC falling under the command of Navy? Any need for the 'watch what you say' comment?

As for the IAR, I personnally think it's a waste of time and space, and would much rather have a belt fed weapon putting down the suppression than a 30 round box fed. Cmags and suchlike have time and time again proven unreliable in use, and having a reliable 100+ feed for sustained fire is essential. Seems like harking back to the days of the BAR and Bren, when ammo was heavy and MG42's the better idea. Then again, I have every M240's out there doing the suppression job with a bit more conviction.

I think its a shame CA have picked this one up as VFC could have produced a far higher quality product. Hopefully it will encourage CA to step up things a little, and we'll see a rise in quality.

Edit: Yes masakarijoe, just done a little research and I can see how large and independant USMC are, which is interesting. Always good to learn new stuff, semper fi and all that. Well done, carry on.

M4 fan...

Airsoft wise all I see now is an M4 variant that you can, genuinely, add a box mag to now! (wanna-be support gunners will be happy).

M4 variants...very bored now. Why? With airsoft being "illusion" its all about look with another M4 based AEG it just looks like that...an M4, perhaps dressed differently but certainly nothing special enough for 70% of the skirmishers to notice or care about!

With a new model I want "wow" I want other skirmishers to come up and ask "what's that?"...sure as hell won't with this. The other 30% will know it, like it and approach me....unfortunately they're also likely to know far more about the real weapon than ME. lol

Real life - even the M249 is poor as a support weapon as its too accurate (similar issue to the L85-LSW), you want to put rounds down field and really keep someones heads down you need Belt-Fed (GPMG!) with a decent "beating ground". Still the way the USMC work they need something lighter and certainly with a better bolt system so perhaps this is why they've opted to replace about 10% of their M's with this?

This is airsoft. We should really start putting all this RS functionality talk behind us and move on. LWRC has decided to license their replicas. That's a good thing. If you don't like the LWRC that's your prerogative (aimed at no one in particular). But let's not bash the people who do like it, huh?

IMHO, more focus should be spent on getting CA to go that last extra mile in getting the 100% accuracy we'd all like to see in our replicas. After all... we're all shooting plastic in the end. ;)

i am in complete agreement that we cannot replace the M249. a belt fed weapon is essential. the M6A4 IAR was originally designed just to supplement it, thats all. no matter, it has NOT been adopted.

and thanks for the info about the differences between the M6A2 and the PSD! i didnt know that.

Captain Darling: that comment wasnt meant to sound the way it did. sorry, i read it again, and thats not how i meant it to come out. but yes, we are a seperate entity.

-Joe

EDIT: USCM Corps: yeah, lets please discuss the airsoft LWRC carbine. CA isnt even making an IAR!

that comment wasnt meant to sound the way it did. sorry, i read it again, and thats not how i meant it to come out. but yes, we are a seperate entity.
Fair enough.

The only issue I'm seeing right now (and it's not a major one to be honest), but could you not just buy any old G&P and make one of these M6s with the custom parts already available? It would only be trade marks you couldn't really replicate to be honest.

Fair enough.

The only issue I'm seeing right now (and it's not a major one to be honest), but could you not just buy any old G&P and make one of these M6s with the custom parts already available? It would only be trade marks you couldn't really replicate to be honest.

The rail system is not conventionally available.

The closest thing out there would be a Samson or Troy rail but its still not 100% accurate.

Also, there is no 8 inch barrel as far as i know. Im fairly sure Dytac makes 7.5 inch barrels but not 8 inchers.

well, as far as the IAR, that is exactly what i am doing, kinnerley. ive already ordered everything i need, and a G&P M4A1 is the host. so yes.

but MAGZ, you are right, there is no replica of that rail yet, i had to settle for a troy. and the barrel im using will be a 16" with a clamp on gas block front sight. again, that is for the M6A4 IAR, not the M6A2 or PSD.

-Joe

Unless I'm missing something, looking at those pics, it makes me wonder what Troy, VLTOR, and Magpul...especially Magpul, will think when they see clones of their products being sold with the CA. (Troy sights, VLTOR and Magpul stocks. Edit: Looks like there's a MIAD on the PSD, so that as well.)

Other than that speed-bump, they look good thus far, methinks.

-Vic

Unless I'm missing something, looking at those pics, it makes me wonder what Troy, VLTOR, and Magpul...especially Magpul, will think when they see clones of their products being sold with the CA. (Troy sights, VLTOR and Magpul stocks. Edit: Looks like there's a MIAD on the PSD, so that as well.)

Other than that speed-bump, they look good thus far, methinks.

-Vic

Those are probably PTS parts which Spartan Distributes. Im pretty sure that there is no conflict there.

Those are Official Magpul-PTS MOE parts on the PSD.

The Emod stock is a replica on the M6, but side battery compartments are larger to hold Sub-C Crane batteries and has a new quick Crane battery install design unlike the current difficult to install CA Crane Stock battery design.

• 3 months later...

Archived