A&K LR300 short barrel

I bought this as I always wanted to have a slightly different M4 varient but didn't want to pay the stupid prices that Prime charge for a kit and G&G was never going to get my money again after being burnt by the L85!!

So when A&K brought out their version I thought I'd have a punt. Just to give you a little background I have had over 30 ACM guns in the last 18 months or so from most of the manufacturers and I rate JG and CYMA above all else including TM but A&K was a new one and I was unsure what I was going to get.

The box is unimpressive plain card board with styrofoam inserts holding everything in place. the important thing was the gun though. WOW! it is impressive. all metal where it should be and an excellent finish. there were no creaks and the workmanship seemed first class. Apart from a lack of markings I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between this and the prime kit externally from a metre away.

As I thought though it came in a little warm, around 400fps and so it gave me a reason to open it up. Worth noting here is that as the upper receiver is quite a bit fatter than a standard M4 the bolt catch has a lovely habit of scoring the metal when you pull the upper forward to remove it. I'm not to bothered as I like my guns to look a bit beat up.

the body pins have little allen screws on one side to keep them in a la CA. once out the gearbox is a version 2 as expected with reinforcing ribs on the front - lovely touch and unexpected too on a gun of this value. also apparent are metal bushings and a bearing spring guide.

Inside the gears appear to be a good quality and greased well but not too much and the shimming in mine was spot on.

the battery goes in the fore grip which just slides off after being pried open a touch and it is firm when on; no danger of it flying off in the heat of battle. I fitted a 7.4v 1800mah flightpower lipo in there and once the motor height had been tweaked it ran like a nail driver all afternoon with oodles to spare at 350ish fps.

would i recommend it? hell yeah most of the guys who saw it are now toying with the idea of getting one including a PTW owner who couldn't quite believe how good it was and how cheap. IIRC £100 inc shipping and taxes.

Mine had some issues:

- overgreased

- horrible shimming

- bad bevel gear

and besides the fact that it has a proprietary hop-up unit, I'll agree this gun is well worth the price. The externals are very good, and the motor also deserves honorable mention.

• 1 year later...

I bought this as I always wanted to have a slightly different M4 varient but didn't want to pay the stupid prices that Prime charge for a kit and G&G was never going to get my money again after being burnt by the L85!!

So when A&K brought out their version I thought I'd have a punt. Just to give you a little background I have had over 30 ACM guns in the last 18 months or so from most of the manufacturers and I rate JG and CYMA above all else including TM but A&K was a new one and I was unsure what I was going to get.

The box is unimpressive plain card board with styrofoam inserts holding everything in place. the important thing was the gun though. WOW! it is impressive. all metal where it should be and an excellent finish. there were no creaks and the workmanship seemed first class. Apart from a lack of markings I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between this and the prime kit externally from a metre away.

As I thought though it came in a little warm, around 400fps and so it gave me a reason to open it up. Worth noting here is that as the upper receiver is quite a bit fatter than a standard M4 the bolt catch has a lovely habit of scoring the metal when you pull the upper forward to remove it. I'm not to bothered as I like my guns to look a bit beat up.

the body pins have little allen screws on one side to keep them in a la CA. once out the gearbox is a version 2 as expected with reinforcing ribs on the front - lovely touch and unexpected too on a gun of this value. also apparent are metal bushings and a bearing spring guide.

Inside the gears appear to be a good quality and greased well but not too much and the shimming in mine was spot on.

the battery goes in the fore grip which just slides off after being pried open a touch and it is firm when on; no danger of it flying off in the heat of battle. I fitted a 7.4v 1800mah flightpower lipo in there and once the motor height had been tweaked it ran like a nail driver all afternoon with oodles to spare at 350ish fps.

would i recommend it? hell yeah most of the guys who saw it are now toying with the idea of getting one including a PTW owner who couldn't quite believe how good it was and how cheap. IIRC £100 inc shipping and taxes.

Recently bought my own A&K LR300 shorty. Probably impulse buying on my part. Had it immediately upgraded with Classic Army Helical STU ratio gears and Extreme motor (long), as well as a Guarder Version 2 spring guide, cut-off lever, anti reverse latch and SP 130 spring. What i found a little disturbing is that the white plastric cylinder head, cylinder and air seal nozzle all seem proprietary and bored up. Tried replacing it with a guarder version 2 cylinder head and type "0" cylinder. To my utter consternation, it wouldnt fit in the gearbox. Ended up having to use the original cylinder head, nozzle and cylinder. Any suggestions?

I put a Prometheus non-BU cylinder in mine, fits fine. I still use the stock cylinder head, but it was a very tight fit in the Prommy cylinder.

I have no idea why you "upgraded" all those other parts. The stock spring guide is solid steel with bearings, fer chrissakes. :)

The hop-up unit is designed for a flat-faced (nozzle-less) hop rubber. Why? I have no bloody idea. Pics would be meaningless, as it looks like a standard 1-piece M4 hop unit on the outside.

Inner barrel length before flash hider is ~290mm.