Helmet Cameras

Fatal

I was possibly looking at getting some type of helmet camera or one that would mount on a rail system. What brands are out there that are reliable from personal experience. I am looking for the smallest option out there. Meaning I don't want a VCR on my back just to record the video.

*Mods if this is in the wrong spot can you please move.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one above has gotten great reviews from all over. Just google ATC helmet cam and have a look. It seems like a very low maintenance camera which you can just turn on and forget about.

Personally I use an Archos 605 media player with the helmet cam attachment. It works great when it works, but doesn't have a removable battery so when it's dead it's dead. I believe with the ATC you can just put new batteries in.

One recomendation for you: don't mount the camera on your aeg. When you watch the playback 90% of the footage will be of the ground, and even when you are aiming at someone, they are often too far away for a clear picture / for the camera to focus. The best angle I've found is to mount it on the side of your goggles or helmet so that the footage is from your point of view - that way you see exactly what you're looking at.

I use a camera called "GoPro Hero" on my motorbike (i use the wide angle version but they do one with a standard lens) and its superb, comes with tons of mounts - small, waterproof, tough, the quality it great aswell one touch recording on and off aswell as plenty of other photo/video modes.

http://www.goprocamera.com/

I have a similar setup to Architect, but I use the older Archos 500 DV recorder as it has a longer battery life and a replaceable battery. I've also found that the camera attachment for my 605 comes off to easily, but that probably poor packing rather than the device. He's quite right about the cam placement too, mine are generally gun mounted and my vids rarely give much useable footage, but I'm an optimist.

The VholdR helmet cam is an excellent wireless camera which has 2 lasers to align the line of sight

The intergrated camera are easier to use as they do not have an wires that might snag, but they cannot view the footage in the field, but this isn't a great advantage. However the main advantage of a wired camera is usually performance. The resolution for both are good, but my camera operates down to 0 lux and is IR sensitive, also at low light changes automatically to black and white for better resolution. But its more of a fuss to setup and start.

I love my ATC2k, but mounting it is a PITA. Putting it on a helmet, it makes the helmet lopsided, and also wobbles all over the place when running because it's only secured via one axis. I'd like to get mine shoulder mounted to a vest, but even then, since it's only secured by one axis, it wobbles up and down.

if wanting to get usable footage from the camera... just remember to turn it on/off before combat/after combat.

And, when moving.. keep the rifle level in a patrol-esque carry.. I don't know how many times I have been suprised yet able to get off plenty of rounds immediately because my gun was level.

re: 1x zoom... what about somehow mounting it aligned with one of those Eotech magnifiers?

Why is the Oregon Scientific ATC2/3k being sold as the "Advanced Tactical Camera"? Or maybe the Advanced Tactical Camera is being sold as an Oregon Scientific Action Cam. Anyway. Are they the same thing? They seem pretty cool, but the video linked in the first reply seemed to be much better quality than I've seen elsewhere. Do you think this is because of youtube etc's compression?

Edit: I found a sample of ATC2k video, and it seems to be much better quality than the youtube samples etc have suggested. It does suffer from washout that you often get with cheap video cameras though.

The only thing i see about the ATC2k and 3k is the size of the SD card it recognizes, interesting that its limited at all since you can get biig SD cards nowadays....

SD cards over 2GB are technically SD HC cards, which are based around a slightly different standard developed when they realised that cards larger than 2GB were going to be needed. I think the original standard that SD is based on is so old that they never even considered the possibility that SD cards would be larger than 2GB. Older devices don't have SD HC support built in, and so can't go larger than 2GB.

I'd reccomend going the Archos route... my team uses a 605 with the head camera, -->

is a short clip, they are nice and solid and easy to use, just watch out for accidentally stopping recording, the button can be easy to knock depending on where you put it!

The battery life isn't too bad, and you can get replacement batteries, higher mah batts can be found on ebay... :)

more footage can be found here for anyone who's interested :)

SD cards over 2GB are technically SD HC cards, which are based around a slightly different standard developed when they realised that cards larger than 2GB were going to be needed. I think the original standard that SD is based on is so old that they never even considered the possibility that SD cards would be larger than 2GB. Older devices don't have SD HC support built in, and so can't go larger than 2GB.

I realize that reality about the one that stops at 2GB

So why would the 3k model stop at 4GB....I didnt know about an SD standard for going above 4GB. Ugh CF cards have none of these issues.....

The only thing i see about the ATC2k and 3k is the size of the SD card it recognizes, interesting that its limited at all since you can get biig SD cards nowadays....

The battery will die well before you can fill that big SD card...

Sony has an all in one camera recording unit with HD resolutions called the HXR-MC1P HD Action Camera

Thats right, a HD micro camera! but as you can imagine its super expensive. Cheapest I've found it is £1800.. Sony also do a compact HD camcorder and thats alot cheaper although mounting it would be alot more cumbersome than the traditional action cameras.

Maplins also stock the same camera unit I've seen the odd police officer using. It clips behind the ear like a hands free kit for your phone, but its a camera.

Archived