AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure your going to regret that decision. The SR might look nice and be a DM/Sniper rifle in the real world but in the airsoft world its just another AEG :unsure: You really need to be looking at guns that have a spring release built into them, as when the SR locks on you, and believe me it will, you will have to strip the thing to trip the ARL. Its the main reason I down graded my SPR that was running at 410fps. I used it twice once at our local site and once at Free Fire Zone it locked up 3 times on each occasion and had to be field stripped each time to, buy dinner time I'd had enough and went out with my VSR on both occasions. It now runs at 345fps and is fully auto capable, I never use full auto during game play only when it locks up to free it, as soon as its free straight back to semi, thankfully it doesn't happen often now ;) My EBR is a second generation G&G gearbox so came with a spring release, a thing I believe they have now dropped from the range, but like I stated above, if/when it locks a quick twist of the fire selector and your back to shooting the fuzzy wuzzies :D

B

410 FPS semi auto only and it locked up that much? Sounds like you or your tech need to work a bit on your AEG skills. I ran a 550 FPS CA M14 on semi auto for 30,000 rounds and had one lock up caused by me being an idiot and not pulling the trigger all the way back. 410 FPS is like standard US field limits and I see more peeps in Semi at that FPS with ZERO issues what so ever. You may want to take a look at your shimming, motor height, and electricals again. If the gun will complete a cycle and you dont studder step on the finger to try and get another shot off, there is no way the gun is going to lock up.

G&G EBR? Thats news. My G&G M14 Veteran has the spring release, it's a PITA to release but it does have it and it's less than a year old :)

Semi auto AEG's require some decent set up and work to them. Like I said, without knowing your field's FPS limits and Min Engagement distances I cant recommend a set up for you. I'm totally willing to spew out info on any FPS you are willing to go but I'd rather analyze your field rules and recommend for you. Everything you've posted so far looks great, the lack of a spring release has me a little worried but I can over look it depending on what FPS you do go for. Around 400 FPS, a spring release is laregely unecessary in a well built set up.

I'll echo the "barrel less than 500mm is better" sentiment. I used to own an AICS with a 555mm first factory barrel and wasn't impressed by the performance increase. On changing to a shorter outer barrel I cut the inner down to match and the consistency improved noticably :) because of this, i've chosen a SPR outer barrel for my in-progress DMR build, allowing me to install a 455mm barrel.

I was considering getting an AUG for a DMR platform but after reading this I'm sort of worried that it's 509mm long inner barrel will be an issue. Kind of feel like a dummy asking this but could I run a shorter length inner barrel (probably M4 length or so) in the AUGs long outer barrel with no issues? Or am I just blowing this up way to much and it's really not an issue?

Like URpiece, I am slightly stunned at the 'lock up' thing. :huh: I can only guess that you got it drastically wrong or were using little 8.4v batteries. :D

My experiences with electro-snipes (got 2 at present) have usually involved larger voltages (11.1v lipos) & no 'lock ups'. I am also aware of a friends 500fpser which has run for years (over 50000 shots), semi only with no lock ups. Startlingly, this is a CAG36, with nothing more than a tightbore, 'big spring', 12v bat, uprated wire, mosfet & deans connectors. The rest is stock CA!!! :mellow: As yet nothing has broke, not even the piston. :rolleyes: Less than £300 for years of electro-snipee goodness.

The barrel really doesn't have to be so long, in AEG's, I have not seen any benefits over 360mm. (With vsr's optimum is between 450 & 500).

& Shriv, don't you think you should have named the thread 'I'm getting an SR-25, what do you think?'.;)

Greg.

410 FPS semi auto only and it locked up that much? Sounds like you or your tech need to work a bit on your AEG skills. I ran a 550 FPS CA M14 on semi auto for 30,000 rounds and had one lock up caused by me being an idiot and not pulling the trigger all the way back. 410 FPS is like standard US field limits and I see more peeps in Semi at that FPS with ZERO issues what so ever. You may want to take a look at your shimming, motor height, and electricals again. If the gun will complete a cycle and you dont studder step on the finger to try and get another shot off, there is no way the gun is going to lock up.

I think it was down to user error in trying to get another shot of to soon combined with a battery that wasn't the best (it was borrowed :rolleyes: )

G&G EBR? Thats news. My G&G M14 Veteran has the spring release, it's a PITA to release but it does have it and it's less than a year old :)

Yep, G&G.....read this http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=158580

& Shriv, don't you think you should have named the thread 'I'm getting an SR-25, what do you think?'.;)

Nope, cos you guys are also discussing the merits of other AEGs as snipers rifles, which will help other people! Just so happens that I'm asking a lot of questions ( and getting them answered, thanks guys!). That ARES M110 has a microswitch, which the redwolf website will help prevent semi auto stupidity. So I can probably just bung a cheap, simple, AB mosfet in there rather than the 75 dollah fancy doeverything tea making mosfet.

Nope, cos you guys are also discussing the merits of other AEGs as snipers rifles, which will help other people! Just so happens that I'm asking a lot of questions ( and getting them answered, thanks guys!). That ARES M110 has a microswitch, which the redwolf website will help prevent semi auto stupidity. So I can probably just bung a cheap, simple, AB mosfet in there rather than the 75 dollah fancy doeverything tea making mosfet.

Pitty they messed up the trades good style :( Also, be prepared to have to swap just about all the internals. Looks like a good enough copy of the M110 though.

I was considering getting an AUG for a DMR platform but after reading this I'm sort of worried that it's 509mm long inner barrel will be an issue. Kind of feel like a dummy asking this but could I run a shorter length inner barrel (probably M4 length or so) in the AUGs long outer barrel with no issues? Or am I just blowing this up way to much and it's really not an issue?

I also happen to run an AUG with 509mm tightbore and i'm very happy with the results. Its very accurate for an AEG and easily consistent enough to be a DMR. I think the "500mm" is just a convenient number to pull out the bag and anything around the 500mm mark will yield good results in my limited experience.

Pitty they messed up the trades good style :( Also, be prepared to have to swap just about all the internals. Looks like a good enough copy of the M110 though.

I thought ARES/STAR internals were alright? Hmm.. we shall see with this one!

yep my next student loan Im hoping to get loads of gear

and now I am considering one of the SR 25s as they look pretty good with the scope on etc.

Genuine question:

How come, you can get a student loan (obviously intended for the needy) & then afford to blow it on Airsoft Goodies?

I promise I'm not being sarcastic or judgmental. I sincerely want to know, maybe I can do the same? :D

Greg.

I think you may be confusing the loans and grants, student loans he has to pay back after Uni, it's the grants for the needier types that don't have to be paid back. ;)

I ain't confusing anything.

Getting a loan would imply that you are, at that time, in financial need & therefore, I would assume that this would be open to students who have genuine financial difficulties & not those wanting to spend it on airsoft. I may be wrong, (it is only an assumption) hence my question. :D

At the end of the day, you can call it what you like (& I really have no axe to grind), but I would think this financial facility was not intended to fund hobbies etc. :rolleyes:

Pay it back (loan) or not (grant) I was just wondering how this situation had occurred.

You do of course raise an even better point: How can I get a Grant? :D Whilst a student loan I can spunk on airsoft is attractive, it will inevitably have to be paid back (low interest compared with normal bank rates?). Now, a Grant, that you don't have to pay back, sounds much more attractive. :)

Greg.

I, too, hate sniper lockups. A friend of mine has built a burst control circuit and it gave me an idea. I have modded the code to do semi only and pre-cock the gun every time. Even if I let the trigger go. The circuit is constantly re-calibrating itself to compensate the changing battery conditions, so it locks up only if the battery goes flat.

You get grants from SAAS in Scotland if your parent's income is less then £30,000 a year and there is a lot of other criteria that must be fulfilled. MOST students will get some form of bursary, even if it isn't THAT much. The maximum is £256 a month grant and £158 a month bursary. Then you have travel expenses and *suitcase* on top of that. If you're a student and you want money quick, just get a current account with HBOS, they have an interest-free overdraft (until you graduate) that goes up to £3000 :)

Gone MASSIVELY off topic here chaps... Greg, PM'd to explain it.

Many thanks.

Excelent PM. ;)

But I was asking Nicho12 how he did it. :rolleyes:

I'm only messing, I'm only messing.

Please, get back on the thread & I'll shut up. :D

Greg.

PS, Hammerfall's Hbos tip is priceless.

Ok, Ok, I'll shut up. :P

Archived