AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

I use both semi and bolt action sniper rifles depending on if the team need close accurate support or sneaky beaky :D I find the noddies that toy at being 'sniperz' are extremely good targets for those of us that know and understand the capabilities of our rifles ;)

How did you attach that vertical grip to the handguard, and how did you get a G&G M14 into a EBR chassis?

I just screwed it on with self tapping screws from inside the hand guard, as for how it was done check this out http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=158580

And here are some more recent pics of it now

a018.jpg

a019.jpg

a020.jpg

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
throwing a cat amongst the pigeons a bit here... but i'm having a hard time welcoming the idea of aeg sniper rifles, cant help but think somethings lost with regards to skill ect when a sniper can smack you from 50m on semi firing at 500fps.

Now a single shot bolt action takes patience and skill to gain a confirmed kill at range, but any newbie can lay there with a hicap on semi and pump out 4-5 rounds a second on semi till he's hit something.

just hope this sport doesnt turn into two teams of campers at range peppering the few lonewolves that want to get stuck in.

Not wanting to start an arguement, just looking for... erm, hoping for justification/reasurance?

I wouldn't worry too much...my M4SR as I like to call it takes every measure short of a computerised mosfet to specifically be semi only...how many kids if they get an A&K SR-25 know how to take it apart and replace the fire selector with a normal one (so its actually blocked by the body nub) and will subsequently have their AEG taken off them when it chronoes over the limit and is still running full auto?

And lets not forget maintenance and repairs, yeah ACM is good but is it _that_ good to run at sniper limits indefinately? Yeah, if its used appropriately as a sniping tool then the point at which you encounter a failure is going to be some ways off, but not every newbie is going to be like that.

Despite the stated figure on out the box FPS, anyone who has worked on airsoft guns knows it takes more than just putting BBs in the thing and whacking a scope on your gun to make it a sniping tool, you need to understand the role, game and capabilities of your gun to play effectively, the end result of failing those criteria is ultimately a lot of frustration.

My opinion is that anyone who wants to build or play the DM/Sniping role with an AEG should have been in the game long enough to have an understanding of both the technical side and the play side, sure my M4SR will chuck .29SGMs out at sniper power +/- 2fps but I use real caps when running around with that for the stealth aspect and also the fact I can't just sit there blatting away. Also, because I've modded my gun to precock, I can't double tap for example otherwise my gun will lock up, not a problem as ICS have a spring release built in, but SR-25s/EBRs etc don't so again, ACM DMR wannabees are going to have a lot of things stacked against them compared to the much smaller proportion of seasoned skirmishers that want to go down the AEG sniper route for whatever reason.

some cracking points there RSM, I understand the principles, but when shops are pushing these cheapsoft snipers to anyone that will listen, people will get drawn into it.

Definatly, theres a lot more to being a sniper, but this new trend eliminates some of them to a certian degree, noobs can will and do lay down a rate of fire that a skilled bolt action sniper cant physically achieve

I loved my L96 when I first got it, and picked up a good 20 confirmed kills in the first day, I still take it to site, but a quick scan of the opposition and friendlies soon tells me not to bother, as the ratio is rediculous and out comes the trusty M4 (hopefully soon to be replaced with a nice M16)

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to building my SR25 up when I get home from Iraq and I am new to Airsmithing. I am going to need new gears for this thing because I plan on running a 150 spring in it. Are the gears for the CA25 different than a normal Ver. 2 box? I know the piston is but I was unsure of the gears changed as well. Also I don't really plan on running the suppresor often if at all. So I was wondering what innerbarrel can any of you reccomend for good accuracy as well as length. Thanks for any help.

Hello,

Having done about 5 'electro snipers' now (from P90's to M14's) I'm now considering taking my Star L85/SA80/whatever & using it as a base for another horrendously overpowered semi only novelty item.

Never having opened it up before (unwanted Birthday prezzie that was skirmished once when they first came out a few years ago & got cosigned to the loft because I found it cumbersome & kept knocking it into semi by accident!), any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. :huh:

Greg

I bet those little bits of scrim on that EBR are really effective at breaking up the shape/camoin' that gun banjo ;)

Their only there to look the part when I'm on DM duty, when in proper sniper roll I have a full ghillie wrap for it, and every other gun I own :D

throwing a cat amongst the pigeons a bit here... but i'm having a hard time welcoming the idea of aeg sniper rifles, cant help but think somethings lost with regards to skill ect when a sniper can smack you from 50m on semi firing at 500fps.

Now a single shot bolt action takes patience and skill to gain a confirmed kill at range, but any newbie can lay there with a hicap on semi and pump out 4-5 rounds a second on semi till he's hit something.

just hope this sport doesnt turn into two teams of campers at range peppering the few lonewolves that want to get stuck in.

Not wanting to start an arguement, just looking for... erm, hoping for justification/reasurance?

You have a really valid point, the main reason I am going for a SASS is I am playing less of a "Sniper" roll and more DM. The SASS is a great system in terms of realism and look but also in Airsoft sniper world it is more of a 2 shots one kill. So it is nice to be able to have a quick second shot if your first is off a bit or is effected by atmospherics or vegitation.

Yay, M14 DMR build is well on its way. Parts list:

G&P M14 DMR Base gun

this gun has decent at best internals, in under 1k with a lipo the spur gear lost a tooth. The G&P Motor is WIN but I wanted a more powerful one. One thing to note is the "long" supposedly unique motor is just a regular long type motor with the tower removed and bearings added to the shaft.

I got most of my stuff in yesterday, still waiting on teh FET to get delivered and I am ordering the TBB today.

sooo....

Barrel/hop:

-TM Hop-up unit

-Shredder SCS

-Promy Purple Bucking

-EdGi 550mm ported 6.01 TBB

Gearbox:

-G&P switch and GB shell

-Modify 7mm solid bushings(no ball bearings here :P )

-RiotSC Torque Plus Gearset

-Prometheus Max Torque (half-toothed) piston

-ARS Sorbohane for cylinder head stress reduction, sound dampening and AoE correction

-ARS MASK Duo Aluminum Limited edition piston head

-Prometheus EG Smoother V.7 Bearing spring guide

-ARS Cratus 450 spring and Guarder SP150 spring

-Prometheus Aero Cylinder head V.7

-Pakayama "Phi" type flat wall airnozzle M14

-Guarder V.7 tappet

-Prometheus V 7 AI latch

-Rewired with 16AWG PTFE wiring

-Gold Motor Connectors

-Eagle Force Pinion Gear

-Modded Systema Magnium Long type with Terry's isolation spacers

-X-Ring O-rings

-EF-SW-Cheetah

-Wolfdragon's LiPo protection board

-Elite 35C 2200mah 11.1v LiPo

-Deans Ultra connectors

-G&P "DMR" type straight motor cage

-Promethus non-ported V.7 Cylinder

I also have to order the lipo protection board. I'll probably start the build (as in reworking the internals) Sunday into Monday as once I get the Cheetah FET (today or tomorrow)I'll have all the GB parts in.

Externals:

-G&P "DMR" style stock(repro of the real McMillan M14 stock issued to USMC DMRs)-OD

-G&P KAC style RAS

-G&P working PEQ

-GG&G UFIR made to work with an M14

-G&P TD repro raider vert grip-OD

-G&P "DMR" style badger ordinance repro scope rings

-G&P M3 non-illum riflescope

-G&P Metal receiver and assorted parts

-Harris Engineering Swivel medium height bipod

-G&P Mk14 steel inner barrel

-G&P Mk14 Suppressor

-Specter SOP 3pt sling

Probably gonna try my hand at dynamatting it to see how quiet I can get her. Hopefully all the time and money spent on it will pay off :)

Calling EdGi USA for the barrel order upon completion of this post :P

I also need to read, and practice concealment, etc. as the whole sniping role is new to me. I basically intend to be a glorified DM.

Eventually I'll either fix up my UTG L96 or ditch it for a TM VSR or Tanaka, depending on how I take to this style of play, etc.

One thing I can say is this gun is monstrously heavy, no good for crawling, expecially for a scrawny little 16 year old like myself....

It is supposed to offer minimal gain, but you need an "expansion chamber" style space, so if it is in an outer barrel you won't get any gain, but since mine is sitting in the suppressor, it should work. It only costs $5 more than the normal one(I am getting a custom length anyway) and it does do a bit more to quiet the gun, so I figured why not. SInce it is being done properly it certainly won't be of a detriment.

Edit: Just talked with Ben from EdGi USA, placed an order for "gasp" 650mm 6.01 ported inner barrel, as it'll fin in my suppressor.....

$90 with porting. Price goes up by around $5 per 50mm once you get past the base price for custom barrels.

And I don't find anything rude about your comment :P I don't see why I would.

Oh and I just got my FET and assorted stuffs.... I am also about to leave for a game/campout so sadly I can't use start the build till I finish my hw on sunday :( Thanks goodness I have monday off.

Unfortunately, the rule at my local is it has to be vetted by the site owner... so no M4 snipers or P90 snipers here! I am pretty much set on an SR-25. I was wondering if a mosfet w/ ab and a "realism" circuit ( the ones that precock/only fire one BB per trigger pull no matter what) would bypass the lock up.

I see that H nubs and guarder clear rubbers, and systema or KA hop units are popular.. but do they cope well with the high fps/heavy BBs?

Barrel wise i've heard good things about Madbull... but is it good enough for sniping?

I'm happy to spend about £500 on making it a proper tool.

I haven't used 'fets but I have had an SR-25 as a sniper rifle in the past.

As I recall I used Guarder clear rubbers and stuck an O-ring under the hop adjustment wheel (Sytema brand)to stop it unwinding itself. This was a G&P Model so I had to get the guys at Firesupport to permanently secure the free-floating barrel which is a superb design for real steel and absolutely pants for airsoft as it removes all the consistency. Systema inner barrel, and the usual diet was the inevitable SGM's.

All the usual internal upgrades (torque-up gears/motor, bearing spring guide etc etc) and an 11.1v LiPo complete the picture and it was definately a reliable and accurate beast once it was sorted. The only thing I would definately be aware of are the G&P Magazines sucked for a while until I got a section of brass rod and inserted that into the bottom of the spring to give it more tension. Reduced the capacity of the magazine (thats ok, I only ever loaded with 20) but made sure it fed perfectly.

Has anyone here been able to get their SR's up to 200ft with accurate fire? And if you have what exactly did you need to do to achieve this. Also what kind of scopes are you useing for your DMR/SWS's? I know for the most part a 4x scope is more than adequate for Airsoft.

Yep, running all the usual silly internal upgrades (although only kicking out about 450fps - I didn't push it with a 150 or more before I got bored and sold it on) with SGM's I could headshot out to 165ft and definately achieve body shots out to 200ft on a good (read, I was supported and it wasn't too windy :) ) day. Used a G&P replica M3 scope for "the look" rather than anything else.

Slim Shady... well i never, i had to look at my navigation bar again, to make sure ASCUK hasn't just changed to an Arnie-like skin! :)

I've been plinking with my PTW, with Blaster 0.30's on the Blue Cylinder (380/90fps) I can get out to 60m and about a 2 foot group - not bad considering the hop-up is unmodified and still pish! :)

That P226 you sold me... well, let's just say that thing on 0.25's can out range MOST average AEGs haha :D

Did I not say it was so? :)

On the AEG/Sniper front - also got an MSG-90 which is not quite as accurate as the SR I had (modding a G3 hop is a bit of a bugger compared to the M4 style) but is definately more skirmish-friendly in terms of handling and bulk/weight. Same upgrades apart from a bore-up cylinder which let me use lighter springs and still get some decent FPS cranked out.

Slim Shady... well i never, i had to look at my navigation bar again, to make sure ASCUK hasn't just changed to an Arnie-like skin! :)

Same here :blink: But over there I aint called Banjo :waggle:;)

You mean where to place the dynamatt? Not sure yet, gotta do some research and experimenting. But I am broke from all the M14 upgrade parts, so that will have to wait a bit.

That's exactly what I mean.

I have the CA M14 & I don't think you could get a fag paper in any where useful, let alone 1.3mm thick dyno!

If you do suss it, let me know as I'd love to quieten her down a little. ;)

Greg.

Archived