AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

I was using my PTW today, and after that performance i might be just have to have start making a 'DMR upper' for it!

I reckon i was getting 1-2 foot groupings out to abut 55-60 meters at 370fps. The consensus on the PTW boards is 1 foot groups out to 70m, on the gold cylinder (~450fps) if you get the hop mod, but only experience of actually shooting that set-up will tell if that is load of ol' twaddle.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are other ways to silence AEG's but they do require quite significant effort in order to do so. A friend of mine stuffed a silent cylinder head into his G36, followed by professional-quality acoustic dampening foam into all the body cavities. On the exterior there's a custom-made rifle rag lined with the same stuff which increased the overall weight by a few pounds but (and I know this is anecdotal so take it with a pinch of salt if you will) its about the same volume as a Mk23.

Now, that is only 1j but even increasing the power to "sniper" limits you can see that there's a great deal of potential in that kind of technology if you really want to go that far. How much difference does dynamatting make overall?

Hammerfall - that sounds comparative to my MSG-90 in terms of performance although personally I'd feel that 450fps or so would be hard-pushed to maintain that grouping at 70m. Perhaps the hop mod makes an awful lot of difference as this was with a stock G3 hop...

The hop mod gets very consistent thumbs-up and is said to take the gun to another level - whether that be such that it can achieve those results... who knows, my own experience is the only thing i'll go on, before raving about it. I think these chaps were using KSC 0.30's although i reckon the offerings from Blaster or better still, Xtreme shall be as good if not quite a bit better :)

Ah, thanks - good job you told me before i had to witness that myself :) I'm tempted to use the biovals, but i'm sure people were having trouble with them doing damage to the nozzle? I'm not sure, if you have more info then by all means please share it :)

The Blaster 0.25's i've been using are out of convenience if anything. I'll grab some of the Madbull 0.25g Match Grades, and then hunt for a heavier weight option for the DMR set-up.

Ah, thanks - good job you told me before i had to witness that myself :) I'm tempted to use the biovals, but i'm sure people were having trouble with them doing damage to the nozzle? I'm not sure, if you have more info then by all means please share it :)

The Blaster 0.25's i've been using are out of convenience if anything. I'll grab some of the Madbull 0.25g Match Grades, and then hunt for a heavier weight option for the DMR set-up.

If you do that, can you get hold of a handful of TM .25's and do a quick comparison? Would love to know the outcome :)

How much difference does dynamatting make overall?

Dynomat 'extreem' is claimed to insulate upto 18db per coating (1.3mm). If you know anything about sound proofing that is an enormous amount (for it's volume) & there is nothing else as thin, currently available that beets it. It also significantly reduces vibration. As a comparison, I think that A.M.'s review of the Syst silent head recorded a 1db reduction against stock types.

However, to work best the item to be insulated needs to be virtually wrapped air tight. I.C.E. nutters will go as far as wrapping the entire inside of the cars bodywork with it. Everything but the windows. Even the roof. It's one of the reasons why vans are so popular at db contests,,,,,,,,,,less glass means more dynomat. :D

As said it's over a mil thick, so although this sounds thin, when you start trying to load it into a gun, you soon find out there is very little space between the gearbox & body of a gun. Too thick for most guns.

I load up the insides of my p90's with it, & the difference is very noticeable. But it does add weight! I don't have one but reckon it would do wonders in an aug.

Using it is a bit of a revelation. As you isolate various areas of the gun, you start to find out exactly where the noise actually comes from. After doing the gearbox area you have to move on to where the nozzle meats the hop & isolate the stock (if the gun has one) as it resonates like a *badgeress*.

It also makes you realize how little noise comes out of the muzzle & how easy it is to reduce that: About 70mm of a lalax double flat, or a 40mm x 30mm baffled tube will take away as much as you can. Large cans make no additional difference.

So after all that (My P90's) you can here the bb's in the mag jostling against each other & the spring unwinding each time you pull the trigger. :rolleyes: I ain't dynomatting my mags, you have to stop somewhere.

Greg.

Right, that sounds like the stuff my compadre used in his G36 (I never actually bothered asking the name) but the results sound very similar - at some chrono checks the Marshalls actually ask him if he's fired at all :lol: Might have to acquire some if I can't flog off my MSG 90 :)

Never tryed it in a G36, didn't think there was enough room. Maybe I should have another look. Most decent I.C.E shops will have it. If not, the net. As a tip, apply it in the warm & build up the layers in small amounts.

Greg.

I think these chaps were using KSC 0.30's although i reckon the offerings from Blaster or better still, Xtreme shall be as good if not quite a bit better :)

I use both KSC 0.25 and Extreme 0.25 and i can't say that the extreme are noticeably better. I'd rate the two brands are comparable.. at least in the 0.25g variety.

Not if the target is a meter square. :D

How big is the target?

& how come the digi .3's got better at longer range? ;)

Greg.

10 shoots, stand up, no correction, hopup and scope setup for each bb, wind left to right, target size is ~14,5cmx14,5cm.

I don't know why but i have a lot of misfeed with the straight' bbs :angry: . Moreover i can't shoot "straight" with 0.30 bbs: 10 shoots -> only 4 and 6 hits... :huh:

I'll try to buy some madbull.

The realsword is heavier than the atoz especially the front where the battery is. My left arm suffered :P

DO WANT.

If thats stock performance and you love the SVD as much as I do then you'll be salivating over the potential when its got a couple of upgrades in. Guessing that BB catcher is around 8" a side?

Well the inner barrel is 690mm long and i don't know if we can find a better barrel. And i won't open the gearbox before i get issues with it :P so what could i change?

Well the inner barrel is 690mm long and i don't know if we can find a better barrel. And i won't open the gearbox before i get issues with it :P so what could i change?

Try Devil .3's. One in ten will probably miss the target but the other 9 will tighten your grouping up even further. ;)

Greg.

690mm could easily be swapped for a 650mm long PSG-1 type Prometheus or a custom-made 690mm of course, but I have no idea what the stock diameter of the Inner barrel actually is :)

PTFE mod to the HOP? Perhaps a heavier spring? Barrel spacers? These are all guesses by the way - if the standard barrel is a tightbore clearly that doesn't need upgrading, and I don't know what type HOP's in there, or how secure the inner barrel is I admit ^^

with performance like that at 50m, i don't really think you need to change anything in it for a while :P

I've always tried to stick to the proverb "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :P but i always invariably give in to my need to change some parts haha.

690mm could easily be swapped for a 650mm long PSG-1 type Prometheus or a custom-made 690mm of course, but I have no idea what the stock diameter of the Inner barrel actually is :)

PTFE mod to the HOP? Perhaps a heavier spring? Barrel spacers? These are all guesses by the way - if the standard barrel is a tightbore clearly that doesn't need upgrading, and I don't know what type HOP's in there, or how secure the inner barrel is I admit ^^

Theorically it's a 6.03. No need for barrel spacer. Spring? if you look at the picture one of them (quality controls) actually show the speed -> ~129m/s ;)

Hopup is good and easy to set.

I'll try it tomorrow on field.

svdc_en.pdf

Archived