AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theorically it's a 6.03. No need for barrel spacer. Spring? if you look at the picture one of them (quality controls) actually show the speed -> ~129m/s ;)

Hopup is good and easy to set.

I'll try it tomorrow on field.

svdc_en.pdf

Hey,

Where did you buy it from? I assume you pre-ordered it? But from where? How much shipping was?

B.

EDIT: Also let us know about max eff. range of this beast? With a 50m shot group like that I assume you should be hitting torsos @ 70m easy.

Well the inner barrel is 690mm long and i don't know if we can find a better barrel.

Judging from the groups my adice is to leave that barrel alone... Straight BBs are cr*p, so no wonder you have problems with them.

Nice rifle, I'll wait for the SVDS version. :)

• 10 months later...

Hi folks,

I don't know what the etiquette is in reviving a dead thread after a year so my apologies if it's not the appropriate thing to do.

I am really interested in sniping, I know a lot of people recommend a VSR for that but the looks don't do it for me, just a personal thing. What I really want is a VFC SCAR SSR or the G&G M14 EBR but I can't seem to find a UK retailer who stocks it and the G&G M14 EBR doesn't seem to be released yet.

So, like the OP, I think the SR25 is a nice alternative for me. I'm currently looking at the ARES version and this Saturday, I will go and try it out at Wolf Armories in London.

Earlier on in this thread, there were some expression of interest in this rifle, did anyone actually buy this in the end? There is one review of it on youtube but it's in Swedish :headbutt: . I really want to know how reliable it is and the fps performance as well as the overall quality of the build.

Also, I have a question about the role of the "sniper" in airsoft skirmishes? My initial idea was that they just killed everything but just stayed further back than the others. However, having read some more posts, it seems that although many players do this, what they should really be is acting as a recon unit and only be engaging in high value targets or when being fired upon, is this correct in actual events or just wishfull thinking? To me, the latter sounds like more fun :wub:

Anyway, all help appreciated.

Greg, you might want to revise that: Under new management, 95% new staff, price drops all over the place.

There's no role for snipers in airsoft. People play how they want. But I think just using it for long range shooting, without any sneaky, silent, ninja activities is just lame. Sneaking about and getting kills and watching everyone hit the deck and not moving because they've got no idea where you are is a BRILLIANT feeling.

Greg, you might want to revise that: Under new management, 95% new staff, price drops all over the place.

I am aware of that but holding a 10 year grudge over the fact that they were rubbish for such a long time. Get back to me in 2020, & if they are still any good, I'll consider a revisit, so I can give a more informed opinion. :D

Until then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Wolf are *suitcase*, they have always been *suitcase* & they will alway be *suitcase*! I.M.H.O. ;)

It will take more than a price drop & friendly face, to compensate for the atrocious trading behavior, that the 'Wolf' name, has produced in the past.

Greg.

Hi folks,

I don't know what the etiquette is in reviving a dead thread after a year so my apologies if it's not the appropriate thing to do.

I am really interested in sniping, I know a lot of people recommend a VSR for that but the looks don't do it for me, just a personal thing. What I really want is a VFC SCAR SSR or the G&G M14 EBR but I can't seem to find a UK retailer who stocks it and the G&G M14 EBR doesn't seem to be released yet.

So, like the OP, I think the SR25 is a nice alternative for me. I'm currently looking at the ARES version and this Saturday, I will go and try it out at Wolf Armories in London.

Earlier on in this thread, there were some expression of interest in this rifle, did anyone actually buy this in the end? There is one review of it on youtube but it's in Swedish :headbutt: . I really want to know how reliable it is and the fps performance as well as the overall quality of the build.

Also, I have a question about the role of the "sniper" in airsoft skirmishes? My initial idea was that they just killed everything but just stayed further back than the others. However, having read some more posts, it seems that although many players do this, what they should really be is acting as a recon unit and only be engaging in high value targets or when being fired upon, is this correct in actual events or just wishfull thinking? To me, the latter sounds like more fun :wub:

Anyway, all help appreciated.

You'll be lucky mate rumour is G&G are only releasing 200 EBRs worldwide :unsure: though you could be like me and convert an ordinary one using an old (new in my case) KART :P

As for the 'role' I think you'll find the first lot are the CoD4 players reenacting it for real :huh: and the ones doing what you correctly assume is the proper role for an airsoft sniper is us :D ..... and we also like to pray on the first lot ;)

Re the wolf thing.... I'd rather drive rusty nails through my testicles......

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the necro post, but keeping this thread alive is hopefully worth it. Could someone explain the precocking system mentioned earlier in this thread? i think someone used a modified sector gear in combination with a mosfet? is this feasible with a high fps set-up, or would it create undue stress on the gearbox?

Also, what advantages does the ICS split gearbox have besides the ARL release? is it really that important to warrant using an ics as a base over another armalite base?

Hey guys, i have a quick question here(not trying to threadjack, or whatever it is called from floridarifleman) but has anybody on here managed to make an effective short/medium length DMR? For example, using an M4 variant, upgrading the hopup with some sort of h-nub, TB, and had any success? I like the idea of having a short barrel for manueverablilty, as well as a collaplsable stock. It will be shooting 400fps(ish).

Any suggestions on what weapon type(besides an TM m14, or a TM p90, must have a meduim length barrel), hopup nub, bucking, or brand of rifle is appreciated.

Thanks, Scar

I had a foray into precocking using an ICS M4 as I was a bit wanted to prove that getting bolt action like performance was possibly out of an AEG because ultimately, its still a piston shoving air through a nozzle down a barrel propelling a BB.

My first thought was to make the AEG emulate the bolt action as much as possible. This involved making it so the AEG would release the piston from a point where the spring was fully compressed, negating the potential for 'wind up' inconsistency. I acheived this using a G&G L85 (CA sector and Bevel, G&P M160 motor, 10.8v battery when driving M170s) gear with the first three teeth lopped off and using a Extreme Fire SW-AB-Long, any dumb active breaking mosfet will do really - due to the precock nature any mosfet that 'learns' the timing of your AEG will be messed up due to the first cycle not being a complete one.

Ultimate results from that was an FPS variance range of 2.5 over a 10 shot string using Madbull .4s, would come down to 2 using .29 SGMs but a lot of fiddling had to go into seals and consistency.

As I said, I was running stock ratio gears with a G&G sector with M140s-M170s with no noticeable wear, only an increased bang when the piston hit home - while it was amusing to see an AEG doing (M170) 580fps I found the mechanical noise unacceptable and have since dropped to an M140 with sealing work done to get more FPS for less mechanical impact.

The advantage of the ICS design overall compared to normal armalite models is more in the hop unit that anything else, its more like the G36 design or the madbull 'ultimate hop' however I've found that the hop arm is miscast slightly so I remodel them using a file and araldite if using H hops though I'm beginning to think that while H hops offer a flatter trajectory, a bit of o-ring or biro inner tubing would prove more consistent. The ICS gearbox in of itself is a little beefier upfront than a regular V2 so that counts towards it as well and if you want a precocking gun you will need the forward assist spring release for end of skirmish storage.

Considering some VSR users quite happily get on with the g-spec standard length barrel (303mm?) it would not be wholly infeasible to build a 'compact DMR' out of a XM177 or P90 if everything was tweaked correctly, my own DMR is technically a solid stock M4 but I added a RAS tube and 200mm silencer to make it longer than an M16...there's something about the idea of a compact DMR that seems a bit too 'having your cake and eating it' in my opinion.

Way I see it, if the bolt action user gets a lighter gun with more range/accuracy, it only seems fair that if I'm allowed a similar power level and a higher rate of fire that I'm inconvenienced be it weight or length of weapon (M110/SR25K etc)but that's just me :)

Basicaly a repeat of what RSM said

I built my pre cocker out of my G&G M14, I used super hi torque ratio systema gears and remodeled the dis engagment nub so it released at the correct time, used a n 8.4v battery to power it and it was shooting 347 +/- 2 on Guarder .28s.

To be honest its not really worth the hassle, if you want a pre cocker go and buy a PSG 1, you will find that the battery only lasts for a third the length of time you would normaly get out of it and it puts a hell of a lot of strain on the rest of the gearbox components. unsure.gif

Much better to optimise your existing gearbox and power it with an 11.1 Lipo.

As for the short DMR, I used to own a SPR Mod 0 that was shorter than my mates M16, but I could never get the consistency out of the hop I desired, so......

I'm in the middle of developing a G36C into a DMR ohmy.gif

It will be aound K length when minus its silencer, so its not going to be short short, just shorter than my SR25, EBR long and SOC16 tongue.gif

Is the madbull ultimate hop-up or the Ics hopup comparable to the m14 in terms of consistency?

Also, if I were to get a ics and have two upper recievers, one with a cqb barrel and a 350fps upper gearbox, and a dmr upper reciever at 500, is it feasible to swap the upper recievers at will, or does the ics work differently than i think?

I cant comment on the Madbull hop unit, but as its designed similar to G36, AUG and G3 style hop units then I'm going to guess it will be right up there in the consistancy stakes wink.gif

Again no idea re the ICS as I've never owned one, but to be fair it would probably be less hassle to own 2 weapons,

But I did sort of do what your describing, but as our limits are roughly described as 350 for outdoor and 335ish for indoor, I made my SPR DMR with a 509mm barrel and then made up a top reciever and barrel with a short inner and outer that dropped the required FPS for CQB, using the same gearbox and lower reciever

Like I said similar, but not the same wink.gif

I'm looking to use a Star SLR as a Sniper/DMR at the only modern game I intend to play this year (Stirlings Op;Trident)

My main concern is that once I put a lower power spring in I wont have the range. Currently I'm getting 340 odd half the time, and 380fps the other half, and thats on a M100 spring.

I'm replacing the spring with either a M90 or M95(I'll be trying both, but I'm concerned that I'll lose out on power.)

Anyone got a suggestion on how to drop it down to a consistent 340ish?

Also, Anyone got a suggestion on scope? I'm thinking an ACOG, or SUIT.

My main concern is that once I put a lower power spring in I wont have the range. Currently I'm getting 340 odd half the time, and 380fps the other half, and thats on a M100 spring.

Really?? You have that much variation on the same spring?

You need to be sorting that out before you even consider changing your spring.

Read my guide in my sig for info on how to do this wink.gif

Re your scope...... its airsoft, your life does not depend on it, so just get something that looks the part, is cheap, is easy to fit and has mil dots so its easier to aim over smile.gif

Is the madbull ultimate hop-up or the Ics hopup comparable to the m14 in terms of consistency?

Also, if I were to get a ics and have two upper recievers, one with a cqb barrel and a 350fps upper gearbox, and a dmr upper reciever at 500, is it feasible to swap the upper recievers at will, or does the ics work differently than i think?

ICS tinkerer here, I personally think out of the two, the TM M14 hop mechanically speaking offers finer adjust even though its more complex than the ICS M4, G36 or G&G M14 (Aug) style hop units - thing is, with the appropriate tweaking some of which will be considered out the box or unnecessary they will perform very similarly - its the velocity consistency of the BB as it passes the rubber that starts to become more important at this point.

As long as you have a rear wired ICS you can swap uppers as much as you want, but you'll have to build your lower to meet your needs and I'll assume you're allowed DMR velocities with full auto. What I mean by building the lower to meet your needs is that if you want a CQB monster once you drop your CQB upper on - you might find that when you drop your DMR upper on you've not got enough torque to pull the spring or get a lousy semi auto response.

Course you could just shove a mosfet and 11.1v lipol in there to give the Turbo 3000 enough juice to get a high rof/semi response for your CQB upper and you'd probably still have a decent semi auto response up to M140 springs.

Basically, its not impossible but you need to consider what exactly will be going on in the upper and lower gearbox for both builds.

Archived