AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

I'd still sort your seals first, so you know what your M100 gives you, then you can make an educated guess as to whether you need a 95 or 90 to get you down to 345 wink.gif

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been building AEG-snipers for few years now, also play with em a lot.

First setup was the test to see if it was possible, big bucks to get the best. G&G SR25, normal gearbox you see. Back then other option was the 1000e hurricane kit. Put in a Systema M150 gearbox, swapped the nozzle cause its longer in the G&G gearbox, fit nicely. Systema magnum and Prometheus barrel.

Godly device of destrouction, consistant, accurate and no noticable semi-lag. Limited to semi-only... Still have it, dont think anyone is ever gonna pay me half of what its worth if i sold it.

SR25 is about the last "colt" that stands out these days, big and mean. Also that lovely QD-silencer when you need the "extra inches" ;)

Second AEG-sniper was a TM M14, M21 project. Guarder FTK, pricey, but still one of the only options and certainly worth the money in quality. Got the gun itself cheap so why not... Element 200% gearset, INSTANT semi on M150-spring. Another Systema Magnum, chinese wooden stock(that looks like carrot) and intellect 9.6v battery. Triple mosfet to controll the heating... Guarder FTK has a weakness, nozzle, non-sealed one at that. Prometheus will save the day, also the make of my barrel.

Oldschool "rifle" feeling with enough firepower to be a one man team against normal AEG's. Like i said, looks like a carrot and bit heavy, but very nice to use. Video-game looks.

Third one was one of the infamous AK-SVD-monsters, made with cheapest parts aviable. Real wood, decent metal and it turned out nice. Infinte torgue gears were too slow so i used the precocking mosfet on this one. Kinda sad i sold it... Less sad about the 700e i got from it.

Ate KM PSG+ 650mm barrel, as a result, the accuracy was simply godlike. If you dont mind the looks, a very good option for a AEG-sniper.

Hows the ics guns working btw? Got one myself, i doubt the spring-release will work on high-torgue gears and HT-motor. Also mine is fitted with a systema hopup, used gun... A hopup on a colt IS NOT hard to fix into staying still. Tho stock ICS wont need much fixing.

Also had a Kart EBR. Prepare for trouble. Kept mine as an assault-rifle. Not so heavy like many ppl say, more of a front heavy. Even more with a scope and dear god - bipod.

Kart has issues, the gearbox is an odd one. Bearing-holes arent 6mm, they are bigger... Nor are they 7mm. Guarder nozzle and tappetplate wont work. Gears are v2/3 too. Anyone looking a EBR as sniper, find a TM gearbox, dont know if you need a tm hopup too. Upgrading kart's gb could lead to trouble.

Toptips:

- Easy on the torgue. 200% gears, i pref element, work nicely all the way to m150, but they need a good motor and good battery.

- Easy on the power, M170 is a lot harder to keep going then a M150, M150 gives you huge advantage over M120 AEG's allready.

- Intellect, firefox, vanaras. Cheap batterys and they work. Lipo's too are nice these days.

- Dont go for Systema Magnums, unreliable, many have broken and they still cost 80 bucks a pop. "Hornbill" makes magnum clones, 19e to you local post-office @ rsov

- Airsealing, check it, baking-flour works wonders. Be ready to go shopping for small parts like nozzles to fix this.

- Mosfets: Get one, must! One could do it, 2 is better, 3 wont hurt. Precocking sw-comp "and you wont go back"

- Wires: thicker - better. Less heat, more juice, solder motor connects if they heat up.

- Metal-body: Mounts shake and move in plastic, go metal. And get a decent mount for your scope

Ok here's my how to. :D already posted this on Airsoft Mechanics Forums.

I came up with this mod that prevents the nozzle from not seating the bb all the way in. May sound weird, but it is actually very common and most aeg's suffer from it. Especially V2 gearbox using guns, beauce in V2 gearbox nozzle has 2,5mm shorter travel lenght than V3 and other newer ones. It also depends on how stiff your tappet plate spring and how hard the bucking is. I did this mod on a V3 gearbox, it will possibly cause feeding issues on V2 because the nozzle dont move as far back as it does in V3.

So, here's what I mean.

hoppi.png

I have tested this to be very true on many aeg's. The tappet spring does not simply have enough force to squeese the nozzle between the hopup unit walls and bucking. Some nozzles have ends that are completely flat, so they amplify the effect even more. Its a design flaw that can be fixed.

If you dont believe this is true, you can test it yourself. You need a spare nozzle that matches with the hopup youre testing with. Take your hopup/barrel assebly to your hand and adjust normal amount of hop to it. Then put a bb in and push the nozzle in, as much as it goes in without excessive force. (Remember that the tappet spring isnt that strong) Then shake the whole thing in your hands back and forth, you should now hear the bb rattle in. Bolt action rifles and some others do not suffer from this because the design is different.

I got a Deepfire metal m4 nozzle with O-ring. I chose this one because it was the only one in stock and its about 1,5mm taller than the TM AK nozzle.

DSC02353.jpg

I attached it on a drill and started filing/sanding material off of it until it was like in the photo below.

DSC02354.jpg

hoppi2.png

I highly recommend doing this to your semiautomatic sniper aeg's, bad thing is that most aeg snipers uses ver2 gearboxes which very likely will cause some problems..

http://airsoftsniper...ead=1291&page=1

^More good mods. :)

Hey, noob aeg sniper here.

Im a bolty (vsr pro) sniper, and for a change i thought I'd dive into the aeg sniper world, and rashly bought myself a second hand psg-1 that was up for sale. It's what student loans are for :P

Im looking to get it up to around 500fps, and I see on some websites that there are the 500fps upgrades for near £200. Thats pretty expensive. I would also guess that you can't just stick a 200% spring in there without upgrading the durability of other parts, can you?

Could someone who has the time, please give me a quick list of required necessary parts and also suggested parts? I can't honestly say that I know my way too well around the inside of an aeg either, but I know roughly what bits go where! haha.

Thanks for your time.

P.s. why is there no aeg sniper thread pinned? Do the old schoolers believe aeg snipers ruin their refined sniping art and the psg-1 isnt a true sniper rifle?! XD

My dad's PSG upgrade mods:

Systema 200% spring

Systema Metal Bushings

Area 1000 metal spring spring guide

Area 1000 metal cylinder head.

He also bypassed the electrical safety and runs it off a custom 4/5af 2000mah 10.8v pack. Can't help thinking it'd do even better with a lipol but we're talking something bought and built and happily used since 2005 :P

Set up it clocks in at 420fps w/.2 when the hop is set for .3s and can fling them to 60m with an FPS variance of 1.75 on a 10 shot average.

They can be made to perform a very satisfactory standard with minimal expenditure but its the side, associated weight and creakiness that puts people off as well as the whole 'it still an AEG' thing.

Thanks Rsm

Thats really good stuff to know! Very useful!

The size/weight shouldnt be an issue. Ive only ever "wielded" sniper rifles, and im not small (6 foot 3 - 6 foot 4 ish)

The gun I bought which is hopefully gonna arive in a week or two, claims to have a metal body which was bought by the previous previous owner from japan, with authentic psg markings and still allows blowback action and original scope mounting. Any ideas on that one?! Id not heard of this before.

Thanks

Can't comment on the metal body, I know G&G made one for the PSG, thats about it.

The PSG was probably one of the first 'EBB' guns out there, there is a mechanism on top of the gearbox that cycles the fake bolt face with each shot, makes a bit of a clack. Doesn't look like the hardest thing in the world to disable.

With regards to original scope mounting, the PSG comes with a fixed, as in built in PSG mount with an attached 4x Tasco scope made to look like the PSG issued scope, for airsoft its more than adequate.

Two things.....

@Rogue, Just to cover everyones back crack..... I do hope you don't intend actualy shooting anyone with this 500fps AEG huh.gif

@RSM, your dads PSG wont be any better as speed of gear rotation is not an issue, it will however work more efficiently though wink.gif

Well, I've got my bolty just in case.

But I do believe there are some sites that have the insurance to allow Aeg SNIPER (semi auto) rifles to fire at that muzzle velocity.

The sites owners have to check them through normally,make sure that they are semi auto etc etc. and it helps if they know they can trust you too. Im not idiotic enough to fire 5 shots in a second. A shot every three seconds is still fast (for me)

Another rule is that a semi auto sniper has to be a recognised sniper rifle. you cant get a p90 to fire 500 and lock it to semi. a psg1 though IS a recognised sniper rifle. German police, i believe?

Do correct me if im wrong.

Another rule is that a semi auto sniper has to be a recognised sniper rifle.

This is rule I do believe that should be reenforced more rigourously, as on alot of sites I've played at that allow +350fps semi-autos, have only got to be locked to semi.....

and in my book a semi locked PTW M4 does not a sniper make, especialy when it also seems to mean you can casualy forget the MED rules too......

yes that incident cost me blood and gave me a 6mm scar on the bridge of my nose...... a bloody good job I replaced the mesh in my glasses from my old chain saw mask, if I'd of been using £2.99 specials from B&Q I guess I'd be blind in 1 eye now

I'd also like to see Ammo restictions on AEG snipers, as this slowes your fire rate no end and concentrates the mind alittle better, than just merrily blasting away on limitless mags.

A good rule I came across was at UA where you were restricted to 2 standard mags for that gun type, and no reloads, per game, it is something I like to adhere to when ever possible/practical.

I know what you mean, believe me! The rifle ive got coming has a 15 round mag with it, which is more than enough.

Ive known kids with bolt action rifles still manage to get through more bullets in a game than i would with a fully auto aeg in a day! These are not snipers, and site owners wouldnt trust them with an aeg one!

I like the idea about your ammo and magazine limitations, that sounds really good. But being restricted to 30 shots may be tough in some games. Especially if i need to kill 31 people! XD

I'd also like to see Ammo restictions on AEG snipers, as this slowes your fire rate no end and concentrates the mind alittle better, than just merrily blasting away on limitless mags.

A good rule I came across was at UA where you were restricted to 2 standard mags for that gun type, and no reloads, per game, it is something I like to adhere to when ever possible/practical.

Are you making a distinction between an AEG "Sniper" and a DMR? If so then I agree, limit AEG "Snipers" (Barret comes to mind, etc etc) on mag capacity, but DM's carry just as much ammo as a grunt, at least in the US they do (Being as a lot of DM platforms are based on the STANAG style mags). Responsibility in use is far more important than an ammo capacity. Being forced to only use 2 of my mags for my M14 would be stupid and pointless for me as I spend more time with a squad thats in combat than I do laying in a ghillie waiting for someone to happen to walk into my line of fire. I dont even own a Ghillie :)

It may be a bit more of an issue oversea's or in places with more players, but where I'm at, going above the 400 FPS limit with .20's is a privilage not everyone is given. It's just a shame that some people dont realize that and do stupid things to their guns.

I've remained fairly quiet in this entire debate, rather intentionally, as I was told IT COULD NEVER BE and basically told to STFU. I have been reading, and I'm glad to see that all the die hard haters have given way to a quality discussion about the benifits. Yeah, it puts bolties at a disadvantage to have an AEG shooting just as hard, but some people like to have their cake and eat it to :)

Banjo really covered everything necessary to accurize an AEG in his post on that airsoft sniper forum. Having done the same with my G&G M14 I can say that there are far too many rules to generalize about what is affective and what is not because my local rules allow me a closer MED for a "DMR" FPS than a sniper FPS (400-450 is 40 ft MED, 450-500 is 60ft MED, 500-550 is 80ft, and 550+ are not allowed) where as even within the US if you are over 375 w/ .25's you have a 100 ft MED which leaves NO room for a DMR, thats an all or nothing case at which point I can see why people feel that AEG snipers are excessive, inaccurate and even possibly as far as unfair.

Should any buddy really care, I'd be more than happy to post the specs for my G&G M14 Veteran and it's last known groupings (pre-upgrade) and range. I have yet to get updated results, but from the last game it was quite impressive!

Battery compartment design for the PSG is a little 'odd'

Normally you have a choice of either mini, stick or large batteries with airsoft guns...the PSG allows you to use a mini, or a stick pack...this might have been some forward thinking by TM at the time the PSG was released given the lack of upgrades in the way of motors (torque) and the now comparitively low power output of NiCd/NiMh to drive high powered springs, resulting in battery packs like this..or more inventive solutions like the second link:

http://www.wgcshop.c...05-1500-psg.jpg

http://www.arniesair.../photos/139.jpg

If you check the link below it shows a cross section of the stock, a stick pack would angle right up into the stock whereas a mini just sits in the small compartment along the bottom edge;

http://www.arniesair...m/psg1/psg4.jpg

The rest of the PSG-1 tech manual, its not the general manual that comes with the gun but its got a lot of useful info (including a TM spec shim guide...);

http://www.arniesair...psg1/index.html

For a comparable to mini sized lipol LWA have the following:

http://www.landwarri...aBT1312#aBT1312

As the PSG utilises passive braking (it has a means of shorting the motor when the trigger disconnects, bringing it to a stop) I would consider installing a basic MOSFET to prevent trigger corrosion but at the same time...my dad's has been running to 2005 purely 'old skool' and hasn't had any ill effect...so your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Dan

From RSM after I asked a question. Great answer imho. Thanks!

Are you making a distinction between an AEG "Sniper" and a DMR? If so then I agree, limit AEG "Snipers" (Barret comes to mind, etc etc) on mag capacity, but DM's carry just as much ammo as a grunt, at least in the US they do (Being as a lot of DM platforms are based on the STANAG style mags). Responsibility in use is far more important than an ammo capacity. Being forced to only use 2 of my mags for my M14 would be stupid and pointless for me as I spend more time with a squad thats in combat than I do laying in a ghillie waiting for someone to happen to walk into my line of fire. I dont even own a Ghillie smile.gif

The rule was to prevent the 'cake and eat it' brigade extracting the urine, I personaly enforce it as I view it that I would only take 3 x 25 round BA mags, so if I need more than twice that for my DMR i really need to look at getting my *suitcase* in one sock. I to now nolonger own a guillie, sold it last week on ebay infact, as I now operate along side my team mates mostly.

It may be a bit more of an issue oversea's or in places with more players, but where I'm at, going above the 400 FPS limit with .20's is a privilage not everyone is given. It's just a shame that some people dont realize that and do stupid things to their guns.

I've remained fairly quiet in this entire debate, rather intentionally, as I was told IT COULD NEVER BE and basically told to STFU. I have been reading, and I'm glad to see that all the die hard haters have given way to a quality discussion about the benifits. Yeah, it puts bolties at a disadvantage to have an AEG shooting just as hard, but some people like to have their cake and eat it to smile.gif

Feel free to join in and offer your valued opinions and experience then matey!biggrin.gif

Picking up on your other point, for me its the other way around as at most of the sites we play at I'm on a level pegging with the full auto queens, this means I'm restricted to 350fps regardless of what platform I choose to use, so if I used a BA I'd be at a serious disadvantage, so I choose to try and obtain BA performance from a weapon that will even the field, or if my gungeneering is up to par, exceed what I'm up against, that being an AEG DMR. I enjoy trying to out perform the TBB+systema rubber+H nub=spangalshious performance crowd, for the same fps, and then don't mind sharing with those in the same/similar position to me, so they to can cram the occasional BB up their nostril . tongue.gif

Banjo really covered everything necessary to accurize an AEG in his post on that airsoft sniper forum. Having done the same with my G&G M14 I can say that there are far too many rules to generalize about what is affective and what is not because my local rules allow me a closer MED for a "DMR" FPS than a sniper FPS (400-450 is 40 ft MED, 450-500 is 60ft MED, 500-550 is 80ft, and 550+ are not allowed) where as even within the US if you are over 375 w/ .25's you have a 100 ft MED which leaves NO room for a DMR, thats an all or nothing case at which point I can see why people feel that AEG snipers are excessive, inaccurate and even possibly as far as unfair.

Should any buddy really care, I'd be more than happy to post the specs for my G&G M14 Veteran and it's last known groupings (pre-upgrade) and range. I have yet to get updated results, but from the last game it was quite impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey

Regarding a psg1...

Ive bought one, and its at home in derby 150miles away. :(

Ive asked my dad to see that its ok. He's cycled the bolt once or twice to make sure its in working order etc.

Now that the bolt has been cycled, does he have to release the spring with the spring release on psgs? There is NO battery connected up, if that changes things.

Also, the body is metal. I only know of G&G metal bodies for psg1s, and once installed, they remove the "blowback" action found on a psg. This metal bodied psg1 still has the blowback action apparently. Does anyone know what this body make is? The rest of the gun is TM.

Thanks

Ant

does he have to release the spring with the spring release on psgs?

Yes, push the the release hard and he/you should hear the gearbox unwind, make sure you do it every time you cycle the weapon for any reason wink.gif

Cant help on the body thing tongue.gif

Congrats on your purchase, by the way biggrin.gif

Thanks man :P

Its a project gun, and my income at the moment is next to nothing so will take a lot of time obviously!

With my vsr it was easy enough because theres threads on here that tell you everything about the gun, even where the dust lands on it.

Mods/Fellow Arnies

With psg1s theres no such help as described above :/ Do you reckon its possible to clean up this thread, and get rid of the whole "what is the aeg sniper" argument, and just keep it for tips n tricks? :P

Are those all the parts you have changed? Because you also need steel bushings, piston head, cylinder head, spring guide and a airseal nozzle.

G&p m160 motor and torgue gears is a bit overkill to pull a m120 but it doesnt really matter. I would stick with the TM stock bucking but if you want to change it get a systema or prometheus soft. Hard buckings are needed at over 500fps IMO, im using a prometheus soft at 500fps and it works like a charm. A good guality tightbore barrel (TN, PDI, Prometheus) is also recommended.

Any brands you recommend?

Bushings doesnt really matter, just as long as they are 6mm metal bushings, not ball bearings. With a Guarder cylinder/pistonset you will get all you need with some extra for just a little more money. And then go for a guarder sp120 that'll get you close to what you want.

Archived