AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

ok ive done a bit more research, what do you guys think of this set-up?

base gun: kwa sr12

Internals

Pdi 6.01 Ib or ported edgi 6.00

Amp high torque motor

bravo helical gearset

stock Kwa compression parts

Systema/SCS or 2gx bucking/standard nub -whichever works better

Active breaking mosfet - can i remove anti-reversal latch with this?

11.1 lipo

G&P m140-500fps give or take?

As far as externals go, i think replacing the 20' barrel with a 16' or 18' would be better as the extra barrel length beyond 14' or so shouldnt help accuracy (i think),

maybe a retractable stock, i want this to look as little like a sniper rifle as possible, i find at large games, being the guy with the bolt action gets you quite a bit of attention, while a scoped "carbine" doesnt scream SNIPER as much

Leapers 50mm 3x9

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it puts bolties at a disadvantage to have an AEG shooting just as hard, but some people like to have their cake and eat it to :)

We have a 600fps limit and semi-only for snipers, AEG or BA. An AEG shooting just a hard as my bolt action has no advantage other than the capabilty to spray-and-pray. They all s.uck with their outdated hopup and nozzle designs on ranges over 50m when it comes to accuracy and handling heavy (>.30) BBs.

High-powered (500+ fps) M14s, M4s, AKs, RS SVD, these all failed to keep up with my bolt action rifles, so I got rid of them. My 4 AEGs are under 400 fps now because it's pointless to go higher with these systems... A couple years and hundreds/thousands of $$$ later you guys will get to the same conclusion - if you are still airsofting then. ;)

We have a 600fps limit and semi-only for snipers, AEG or BA. An AEG shooting just a hard as my bolt action has no advantage other than the capabilty to spray-and-pray. They all s.uck with their outdated hopup and nozzle designs on ranges over 50m when it comes to accuracy and handling heavy (>.30) BBs.

High-powered (500+ fps) M14s, M4s, AKs, RS SVD, these all failed to keep up with my bolt action rifles, so I got rid of them. My 4 AEGs are under 400 fps now because it's pointless to go higher with these systems... A couple years and hundreds/thousands of $$$ later you guys will get to the same conclusion - if you are still airsofting then. wink.gif

Here ot's 500 fps. My bolt action does 480-490. Now if you miss with a bolt action you need to reload and re-aim by then your target moved away. Now i like bolt more becease of the skill you can get with it. But with a semi at 480 fps and .28gram you shoot to hit but you mis you just shoot again without loosing your eye from the aim. Most guy's use semi snipe to spray i don't. Eatch shot i take i'm pretty sure it will be hit just like when i use the bolt action. When you do that you still have the same "kick" when you snipe somebody. Thats my opinion. But still i like bolt action more.

Swords,

They all s.uck with their outdated hopup and nozzle designs on ranges over 50m when it comes to accuracy and handling heavy (>.30) BBs.

Just a touch elitest, don't you think? huh.gif

And I never 'spray and pray'..... all of my shots are aimed, just, no doubt, like yours are.

Just because we choose to use an AEG over a BA doesn't mean we run around like mindless noobs shooting at every living thing on the field of play

Can I also draw you attention to the second paragraph of my response to Urpeacekeeper as to why I use a DMR

Here in TX, and most places I've seen in the US, assault 400fps 20ft MED, support 450fps 40ft MED, semi only 550fps 100ft MED (all with .2g of course).

I've got an ICS M4 I'm working on setting up as an AR/DMR swapover (with the use of a programmable MOSFET). I've compiled a huge list of parts I'm replacing to be able to handle the higher stress. The AR upper is going to be stock and just change the inner barrel and rubbers. The DMR upper is going to be competely rebuilt, as well as the lower.

One thing I saw earlier in the thread has me curious though. I thought that you would need a higher VDC to power the higher torque motor, but I'm seeing the opposite. I've never seen an 8.4VDC battery push an upgraded mechbox that didn't die sooner than it should. Most around here use at least a 9.6 or higher. I was actually looking at a 10.8VDC. I'm really excited to get all these parts in and start tinkering with it.

I really don't undertsand the attitude towards AEG snipers in this country.

I took my Ares SR25 M110 SASS to a site in Kent. The marshall chrnoed the gun at 420, 433 & 440.

The marshall then said I could have no more than 25 rounds in each magazine which I agreed to comply with beacuse that is a realistic restriction.

The following conversation then took placed which completely baffled me:

Marshall - "ohhh, does that thing fire full auto?"

Me - "yes it does"

Marshall - "sorry fella, can't let you use that unless you have full auto disabled"

Me - "why's that Sir?"

Marshall - "just can't, sorry fella"

I don't argue with Marshalls, there is no point, it's their site, their rules etc etc

So I bagged up my SR25 and went with my DMR instead for the day, I still had fun, great day out etc etc but I was still bemused at the AEG sniper stance in the UK.

I asked fellow airsofters at this site, I got a varied range of answers from:

a) 420fps on full auto plus accuracy = unfair advantage against other players

B) IT'S DANGEROUS (no joke, I did get shouted at)

c) It's unrealistic

I disagree with all the above. In Airsoft, one person (and their gear) can not win you the game, it's all about teamwork.

Technicaly the marshal is correct, most sites that allow 400+ weapons insist on it being mechanicaly restricted to semi only.

This does not mean switching your selector to semi and leaving it there, it means a screw, stop or selector plate mod that prevents the weapon firing in auto unless a full strip down is done to it to be able to return its auto function.

And now we will probably get a shed load of posts from know it all do gooders rattling on about section 5, yada,yada, yada which we had successfuly avoided up until now rolleyes.gif

To be fair if they restict your ammo levels I couldn't see it a problem in letting you play, provided you adhered to the MED, and so long as you corrected it for next game, after all 25 rounds in 2 maybe 3 mags is gona make you combat ineffective pretty darn sharpish on full auto wink.gif

The 25 round limit sounds ok so long as the BA fan boys are restricted to the same..... all to easy to slip in a G&P 55 rounder into a VSR, as they look identical at a glance to a standard mag( and they carry more than 25 rounds anyway wink.gif )

I've played at a couple of UAs milsim games and they restrict you to 2 standards/mid caps per game, and is something I use most of the time now regardless of where we play (unless I know that the full auto queens are also going to be using box mags in their M4s and G36s, then I take a couple of hi-caps and make a point of deliberatly targeting the talentless pr1cks wink.gif )

The 25 round limit sounds ok so long as the BA fan boys are restricted to the same..... all to easy to slip in a G&P 55 rounder into a VSR, as they look identical at a glance to a standard mag( and they carry more than 25 rounds anyway wink.gif )

I've played at a couple of UAs milsim games and they restrict you to 2 standards/mid caps per game, and is something I use most of the time now regardless of where we play (unless I know that the full auto queens are also going to be using box mags in their M4s and G36s, then I take a couple of hi-caps and make a point of deliberatly targeting the talentless pr1cks wink.gif )

I don't see why the far slower firing bolt actions should be limited to 25 shots. Besides, I heard the 55 shot mag was prone to jams (although I've never owned one, of course).

I think they want to limit capacity on semi auto's due to modern gears, mosfets and batteries; making it easy to loose off pellets at a vast speed, compared to single shot bolt actions. The ability to simply squeeze off a second shot, is a BIG advantage over manual bolt action; that can only get off an aimed shot every so many seconds. Having a powerful AEG on semi, still lends itself well to suppressive play and can up the ROF to several shots per second. If you don't limit the capacity, players can get tempted to still attack and end up using it as a battle rifle.

Having a big upside over the average joe in one area, should cost the player in others, in order to balance the game. Otherwise you risk the game favouring one class of gun/setup that is obviously "better" than the rules allow others to be.

In an ambush, if you are good/lucky; 25 pellets can take out plenty of people, in only a few seconds, on semi auto. A bolt action, even with a high cap, cannot do that. The MED is shorter with the lower powered semi auto AEG; so you can give them something to think about if they try to charge you down. A bolt action also struggles in this area. Besides, you are saying this setup is just as accurate as a bolt action, so again needs to be limited, for game balance. Otherwise you risk semi auto setups becoming a requirement to compete in certain fields/terrains.

You may think that sounds abit like I am looking down on this style of gun, or trying to bring it down. That is not my point at all and have always been an advocate of "fair" rules and a level playing field. I have had powerful semi auto's before and soon moved away from them, as the temptation to firefight with them, simply deskilled my game. I play better with a more disadvantaged gun (feeling like the prey) and hence why my group love to play with bolt actions and only 22 shots for 2 days (2X11 shot mags). The next step down from there is a factory standard TM M14 (315fps) with 90 semi auto shots (3x30 shot mags) in our Field game.

In skrims against box mags, I can understand you having to up the mag size, but ultimately, shows the knock on mentality that such hated inventions cause, in order to compete. Games with fewer pellets are simply better in my experience and hence why I hunteer these days.

I recall that the UK forces place a large amount of focus, on putting down more rounds than the "enemy" in order to WIN THE FIREFIGHT. Suppression is their tactic. This should always be considered when trying to balance a firefight based game and rules covering different gun types. I think box mags and larger capacities help to equalise guns that are very encumbering and heavier/longer than typical rifles.

I recall how skrims became an arms race in the mid nineties, only once people started buying multiple high caps. Before then, players simply had one each and gamed in harmony with stock AEG's with no complaints.

Lastly, I will mention that breaking the firearms laws is bad for the sport and if only one of these guns is involved in an incident, could cause a knee jerk ban.

Anyway my rant is over, but as I say, please don't feel I am looking down on semi auto's. It's just an objective view.

Good Hunting ;)

I can fully understand your veiws, because as most will know I came from a BA is best back ground.

I only gravitated to a DMR as site play style and fps limites dictated it, it just plays better than a BA on the high speed run around sites.

As I mention above I limit myself to 160 rounds per game on normal sites, this is a self imposed limit, as on most there is no limit and on 1 there is a 600 limit unless its designed to be a support weapon.

This I feel keeps things in perspective for me and thus ilminates the temptation to run around with it like a battle rifle, which is why it narks me when elitest bull feathers comes out of people like trasher posted the other day, in the real world DMs carry way more ammo than a sniper because of their intended roll within their section, but they carry way less than their comrades within the section as their ammo is both heavier and larger.

The way I see it is if I had my BA I'd only be carrying 50 to 70 rounds, my DMR is less powerful than the BAs but less accurate than the BAs so its going to take me roughly twice the number of shots to hit the same target, so I carry twice the ammo.... simples! If I need anymore during a game..... tough! Like our BA wealding brothers, its all down to shot selection from then on.

I was barated by urpeacekeeper a couple of pages back for saying all this previously, as he says DMs should carry more, but then, like you say bushman, there is a huge temptation to turn your self into the 'grunt at the front', espesialy at the limits I normaly play at. Limit the ammo and it all starts to become a bit more thoughtful.

I fully believe that all sites should have ammo limits, ban hi-caps, and have a staggered fps limit to better represent the style of play you have chosen, with coresponding MEDs. As I to feel that game play is improved 100 fold, but the paintballer in the wanabe grunts just wouldn't allow it.

Had these limits been in place I wouldn't have the scar I now have across my nose because some power drunk *rickroll* head abused the +400/semi rule and adapted his PTW M4 carbine. He proceeded to use it as an assault weapon locked to semi, casualy forgeting about MEDs and all that stuff. But at that particular site there was alot of it about amongst the locals. Now had he of been limited in ammo the chances of my blood being spilt probably would of been reduced, not eliminated as it stil could of happened, its just the follow up 3/4 shots that were in the air at the same time probably would of just been a second shot.

Bladerunner - there are various ways of doing it to a miriade of different guns, google is your freind when it comes to doing this wink.gif

I only gravitated to a DMR as site play style and fps limites dictated it, it just plays better than a BA on the high speed run around sites.

The way I see it is if I had my BA I'd only be carrying 50 to 70 rounds, my DMR is less powerful than the BAs but less accurate than the BAs so its going to take me roughly twice the number of shots to hit the same target, so I carry twice the ammo.... simples! If I need anymore during a game..... tough! Like our BA wealding brothers, its all down to shot selection from then on.

I was barated by urpeacekeeper a couple of pages back for saying all this previously, as he says DMs should carry more, but then, like you say bushman, there is a huge temptation to turn your self into the 'grunt at the front', espesialy at the limits I normaly play at. Limit the ammo and it all starts to become a bit more thoughtful.

I fully believe that all sites should have ammo limits, ban hi-caps, and have a staggered fps limit to better represent the style of play you have chosen, with coresponding MEDs. As I to feel that game play is improved 100 fold, but the paintballer in the wanabe grunts just wouldn't allow it.

All good stuff. Highlights how game rules/types have almost forced your hand towards a powerful AEG and away from the BA. Single shots cannot hold off a large wave of full auto chargers in some terrains. A high powered semi auto IS going to be the most practical in fast speedball/firefight style game. I found them far more unnerving to be on the recieving end at closer ranges, as saftey became more of an issue with only light face protection.

High caps are the worst invention in Airsoft (fact) and really deskilled the sport in my opinion. I started off with high powered single shot rifles and after many years, went full circle and ended up back there. The gaming is just more skillfull and rewarding, adding longevity to any players career.

If someone is in range and you put down enough plastic, eventually you will hit them; if they remain static. Our old club ran into that problem and before you knew it, some teams main facet was simply "capacity". Being a game organiser and also playing/competing, made it impossible to change rules away from unlimited pellets; without being accused of bending things, towards the favour of my own team. Independant games organisers don't have such problems and should grab the bull by the horns and clamp down on magazine capacities/pellet limits; in the interest of better gaming, all round. It is not like they are making there money on pellet sales like paintball.

Then those who still want to eat their cake; would have to invest in a SAW or other huge/heavy pig that they have to lug around and cripple their agility.

The problem of the PTW owner, that scarred your face, is unfortunatley bound to happen; as people often see gun choice as a way up the arms race (fps) ladder. Playing with higher powered guns requires responsibility and to a degree, experience: in order to be safe. People often don't have both, or either :( .

Semi Auto's certainly have a place, but it's a fine line for game balance, I guess.

Good Hunting ;)

Aah, you say powerful AEG,...... if only!

I'm regulated to 350 fps absalute max, same as the grunt, support gunners AND snipers.

Its why I have to try new and inventive ways to milk every last drop of accuracy out of my AEG DMR.

I fully agree with the skill aspect of it but I've also got to keep it real world if I want to remain enjoying the game.... hence the AEG DMR.

If we were to play at more sites that allowed high power weapons then I'd probably get the VSR out, but to be honest at sites that only allow a +50 fps advantage to BAs its just not worth it, as I now know my DMR so well.

Well its been awhile since ive been on arnies. I just recently aquired a TM M14 that is shooting at 380. I cannot believe its amazing accuracy even with a stock barrel. I am reaching out to 60m with .25's! Well tomorrow i will be going to a new site, and i will give an After action report. As it will be my first time to the site, i have chosen a DMR loadout instead of the my usual sniper loadout so that i can get a feel for the site.

Scar

I heard the 55 shot mag was prone to jams

When I had my VSR, these mags never jammed on me, but then I never filled them to capacity.

OT: Although I haven't run my M14 for several months now, when I did use it I used 4 TM low caps - so 280 rounds. You might consider that a lot, but when you're playing a game where 3/5 people have 6+ high caps on them, it doesn't really seem like all that many.

Well its been awhile since ive been on arnies. I just recently aquired a TM M14 that is shooting at 380. I cannot believe its amazing accuracy even with a stock barrel. I am reaching out to 60m with .25's! Well tomorrow i will be going to a new site, and i will give an After action report. As it will be my first time to the site, i have chosen a DMR loadout instead of the my usual sniper loadout so that i can get a feel for the site.

Scar

Well it was a good day, but i should have brought my sniper loadout. There are extremely steep hills and ravines, and carrying 30+pounds of gear(including a full camelbak, 10 pound rifle, backpack full of bb's, gas, and food) was not such a great idea. It wasnt so much the weight, but the encomburance part that made it hard to move.

My TM m14 performed like a dream, but unfortunantly i got caught in moer than a few sticky situations and i had to turn it to full auto to get out of them d:.

I have been reaching out to 65 yards though, and getting hits on a man sized target in wind, appx 1 out of every 3 shots. This weekend ill try running my usual loadout and tactics, and see how it goes.

Scar

Well its a little complicated. I didnt know if ot site had a "Safezone" so i just carried all my gear with me. Later i did find that i could out all my gear somehwere with out worrying about it being stolen or lost.

Just to jump in with both feet...

I think most people build AEG sniper rifles as a "pet project" rather than out of practical neccesity.

As Maekl suggested, there's really not much point to building an AEG sniper rifle for practical reasons.

You can quite easily end up spending over $1,000 to build a gun that's only just as good as a boltie with maybe $100 of upgrades, if that.

I've built 2 AEG sniper rifles and they were both built as an experiment really, rather than for practical reasons.

My MSG90 was pretty impressive but it's far too big to really be practical.

Ironically enough, my boltie of choice is an L96 rather than a smaller, lighter and equally good (probably better) VSR10 or equivalent.

Having said that, I built an SL8 a while back and I've never really used it much but, looking at it recently, I realise that it's actually pretty small and light so I might give it a go in the field at some point in the future.

SB, my choice to go down this path was not out of the desire to experiement, at least not fully. My play style and tactics lend themselves more to a long range support role. And while I understand that the title is for AEG "Sniper" (which to me implies DMR's are out of the question), depending on field rules, no AEG has to have that much money spent on it to make it accurate and have good range. I'm sure people are fairly sick of me mentioning my G&G M14 Veteran, which untill a month ago (maybe it was two... :huh:) was completely stock with the exception of a barrel (35$ Madbull 6.03), hop up rubber (6$ guarder Black) and Big Out H nub (12$ for two.. 6$ if you count just one of them). My effective range (100% certainty of hit in ideal conditions with nothing blocking) of a bout 65-70 yards and a max range (5/10 probability) of just over 80 yards. Sure, I spent 360$ on the AEG itself, and for 9 standard mags, and a battery quite more than 360$, but at 383 w/ .25's I'd say it was a very capable gun, but neglecting battery and the excessive number of mags, total cost was a hair over 400$. Thats not exactly a lot of money considering the AEG itself was the bulk of the cost.

To some, 383 w/ .25's is in "sniper" territory (infact, Operation Lionclaws puts the same 100 feet MED on anything above 375 w/ .25's, by classification it is a sniper rifle in the US for Lionclaws events). Not by much. Since 2 months ago, I've done minimal upgrading. Sorbo (free from my buddy), #14 O-ring (pennies), Bravo Piston (20$ I think?), Guarder SP130 (15$). Chronoes at 390 w/ .28's. So I'm getting closer to 500$ for a gun that truely is in sniper territory.

And I doubt anybody on the field I play at is going to say it's not accurate either, or has long range.

Then again, I also play the DMR role to it's end because it suits me far better than being overly patient and waiting and hiding. My team has a far greater need for me fighting with the rest of the troops then doing recon.

Bushman Stated:

I think they want to limit capacity on semi auto's due to modern gears, mosfets and batteries; making it easy to loose off pellets at a vast speed, compared to single shot bolt actions. The ability to simply squeeze off a second shot, is a BIG advantage over manual bolt action; that can only get off an aimed shot every so many seconds. Having a powerful AEG on semi, still lends itself well to suppressive play and can up the ROF to several shots per second. If you don't limit the capacity, players can get tempted to still attack and end up using it as a battle rifle.

I dont mean to sound rude, but I'm sure this will come off this way, but ammo capcity and ROF is the exact reason why real world militaries are switching back to semi auto, long range rifles, because in the situations that many real world snipers face, a follow up shot and the ability to have more ammo between reloads is a huge advantage, and that is why there is such a strong draw to it for me. I've been down the BA route, and it was enjoyable, but at the same time I felt like a useless body on the team. I was either defending an area and waiting for people to come through the area, or simply incapable of providing the shots necessary to make my presence in a firefight worth the dead weight. Thats on me and has nothing to do with BA's in general.

It sounds like you feel it is unfair that because you have a bolty, that people who have a semi auto at similiar FPS should be limited. What I think you where trying to get at, but never got to, was that the reason they should be limited is for safety because of the ability to have more ammo, and a higher ROF is more dangerous. My response to that is simply this... rubbish. Maybe it's where I play at, but high FPS (400+ w/ .20's) is a privilage, and only certain people are allowed to have bolt actions and semi auto's above 400 FPS (No one with full auto above 400 though!). Our game organizers frequently chrono AEG's and new players to the field are not allowed to play with higher than 400 FPS Semi's or Bolties untill such time that the game organizers are comfortable with them having that FPS by demonstrating extreme maturity and reservation when engaging targets and ability to follow posted MEDs. In doing so, safety becomes a lesser issue than if everyone and their horse is allowed to have high FPS guns. That is a far better solution than limiting ammo (for either sides for that fact).

High-powered (500+ fps) M14s, M4s, AKs, RS SVD, these all failed to keep up with my bolt action rifles, so I got rid of them. My 4 AEGs are under 400 fps now because it's pointless to go higher with these systems... A couple years and hundreds/thousands of $$$ later you guys will get to the same conclusion - if you are still airsofting then. ;)

Haha... WOW.

I've been playing for 6 years now, more than half of that in the high FPS AEG category, spent far too much money on this hobby, and I guess I just need a few more years of experience and far more money wasted before I see the light. :rolleyes:

I guess there are always gonna be exceptions that test the rule.

TBH, I guess the G&G M14 might be seen in the same light as a VSR10.

It's a practical choice rather than an emotional one.

On the other hand, though, how many people who've bought PSG1s, SR25s or (god help them) M82s do so for practical reasons?

Most people buy the gun they want and then try and make it work in the role they require.

That kind of thinking (and there's nothing actually wrong with it IMO) is always gonna be expensive.

I'm on the fence.

Bolties (and SPRING bolties to be exact) are always gonna be the cheapest way to accurate long range shooting IMO but there's a lot to be said for the ability to take several shots in quick succession.

Conversely, I can see Trasher's point about cranking up the power of a "regular" AEG.

It's often far simpler just to get 10m closer to a target rather than do the work required (G&G M14 aside) to build a reliable high powered gun.

Archived