AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am planning on upgrading ym realsword SVD, I can only find one barrel long enough for the gun its a 700mm from precision airsoft. I am going to put

6.01 700mm tightbore barrel

500fps with .25's to get it to our limits here.

active breaking mosfet(probably from infected)

and anyone have a recommendation on a good hopup rubber I should use? Also do the H-nubs help at all?

Here's some of the different KM ones:

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=10469

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=7067

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=6030

I think I was using the RH75 one when my SVD was running at 511 fps w/ 0.20g. I'll have to open it to check though, haven't used the SVD in about 3 months :P

Well, the funny thing is, my rifle liked the Prommy 6.03mm 455mm AK barrel I threw in it just for fun. It shot a lot better than with the stock 690mm barrel.

The outer barrel on the RS SVD is a one-piece design, and if you look trough it, you'll notice that the bore is consistent all the way trough the barrel.

One thing I'd really want to do, is to measure the cylinder-to-inner barrel volume. IIRC a ratio of 2-2.5:1 was the most optimal.

In regards to the shorter inner barrel, it might have been a better cylinder-to-inner barrel volume causing better accuracy in my gun, or it might just be that the Prommy barrel is more concentric.

Other things I did, was to glue the nozzle to the tappet, put some liquid gasket on the inner barrel before assembling the hop-up, and fitting an AB Mosfet.

My only gripe with the gun as of now, is the long cycle time.

The outer barrel on the RS SVD is a one-piece design, and if you look trough it, you'll notice that the bore is consistent all the way trough the barrel.

One thing I'd really want to do, is to measure the cylinder-to-inner barrel volume. IIRC a ratio of 2-2.5:1 was the most optimal.

In regards to the shorter inner barrel, it might have been a better cylinder-to-inner barrel volume causing better accuracy in my gun, or it might just be that the Prommy barrel is more concentric.

Other things I did, was to glue the nozzle to the tappet, put some liquid gasket on the inner barrel before assembling the hop-up, and fitting an AB Mosfet.

My only gripe with the gun as of now, is the long cycle time.

with a mosfet you have a long cycle time? I use an 11.1lipo in mine without a mosfet and I have a good cycle time still

Dont want this to sound like a "WHAT AM BESTED GUN" Q but what do y'all think of getting a KWA m4/sr series(carbine length-not cqb of course) and just runnning some heavy bb's through that as a DM/snipers weapon? I know it wont shoot quite as far as my TM m14 did when i had it, but i wont need to buy any upgrade parts-as it is already upgraded. i have seen how effective the 2gx bucking is in an sr-7(i think-whatever the shortest m4 is) shoot out to 50 yards with no problem on .25's at 350 fps. so i am just imagining what it would be like a longer barrel at 420.

I know the gearbox is solid, i just dont know exactly how consistant it is although from what i've seen its fairly good.

So, whats your .o2?

Scar

I have a SR12, best AEG I've owned. Like've you said, Very sturdy gearbox and good accuracy with .25bio @ 355FPS w/.20 . Consistency was 353-359 with standard mechbox and a M100 madbull spring.

I've added a KM TN 6.04 barrel and it didn't make so much difference compared to other AEGs in therms of accuracy nor range. A tiny bit better.

I tried keeping the bucking and changing the nub, but it made no difference. I think the GX2 bucking is made to be used with a soft standard nub.

The SR12 is too long for me though. Going to get a SR10.

Hey all, just wanted to chime in with something I've recently done. I've been the owner of a TM PSG-1 for years, as some people would know, it's a flawed gun. Fortunatly I've been able to remedy all of it's problems and managed to combine the right set of parts to make it a monstrous sniping machine. Let me start by saying, I'm the type of guy that likes to have every gearbox upgrade made from the same company. If there are parts out there that are made for the gun that aren't made by the same company, then I make sure that every part in the gearbox is made from a different manufacturer. I'm wierd like that, I know. So the PSG-1 took the second route from me. I was also restricted to use 500 FPS with .20's at my local and pretty much state sites for semi-auto snipers. So the Systema FTK was out of the question as that gives roughly 540-550ish FPS. I made the PSG-1 with a standard bore set-up and equiped it with a PDI 180% spring. My compression was perfect even with the air nozzle extended. So I run a KM 75% hop-up rubber, a Prometheus 6.03, 650mm tighbore barrel and a number of barrel support accessories. When I went to test it's FPS, I had a constant reading of 498 +/- 2 or 1 FPS, sometimes right on the dot. As for range, on the side of my house I have a 320 Ft road that I use for range sighting and target practice. With my hop-up set to it's optimum performance, I reached the 300 Ft mark accuratly. I have to say I'm extremely please with my PSG-1 and I would dare to regard it the best or one of the best sniper rifles around. My trigger response is instantaneous, Magnum motor, 12v battery combined, there's no delay in shots. The PSG-1 is a true semi-auto sniper.

Here's the gun: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7439/psg1010.jpg

I have a SR12, best AEG I've owned. Like've you said, Very sturdy gearbox and good accuracy with .25bio @ 355FPS w/.20 . Consistency was 353-359 with standard mechbox and a M100 madbull spring.

I've added a KM TN 6.04 barrel and it didn't make so much difference compared to other AEGs in therms of accuracy nor range. A tiny bit better.

I tried keeping the bucking and changing the nub, but it made no difference. I think the GX2 bucking is made to be used with a soft standard nub.

The SR12 is too long for me though. Going to get a SR10.

Alright then, thats the info i was looking for. I am just going to get the basic KM4 2gx (no ris) and get a 4x carry handle scope. That way i will look like everyone else, and then use my "ghillie in a bag" after we get out onto the field.

Can you attest as to how well these things run with .28's or heavier bb's?

I was also wondering how siginificant the accuracy would be over the m4 cqb with the 7 inch barrel(can remeber the MM length), becasue it would be nice to go as short as possible-yes i know i said not cqb length in my previous post but i am just curious to see how it would run as opposed to the full llength m4 barrel with heavy ammo

becasue the environment i am in ranges from close quarters to longer ranges, and i have used a long gun with little effectiveness as opposed to a shorter gun that was easier to manuever through dense scrub brush even though it had less range.

I have seen gas pistols that outranged my TM m14(sold it) and were just as accurate. Form my experiance you may gain accuracy and range with a longer barrel(like you said), but is it really worth it to carry a much more cumbersome weapon to gain that extra 10-20 yards? Especially at my field where ALL aegs are limited to 420 fps.

I guess it really depends on your playing style, but i like my guns to be smaller/lighter as i have to move a lot in my games over long distances, and most of my engagements are from <60yards. If they are longer than that i usually just manuever to a better position(should i spot them first) or do a hasty retreat and break contact(should they spot me and miss their shot).

If i were playing a more stationary role, a long barrel would definantly help, but that is not my case.

Just because i like to have my cake and eat it too does not make me "Unfit" to be a sniper/DMR. I really dont care about"realism" and "loadouts" that have to be specific to their real world counterparts. If i wanted to use a GBB pistol and still used my tactics correctly, i would still be a sniper true to the definition. What so many people don't realize is that in airsoft we are playing at CQB distances<100m(although the tactics do cross over mostly, but not all).

I have played with a long Bolt gun, and used it effectively. i can see the purpose behind a springer being so long because of the cylinder forcing the hopup unit to be so far foward. But when you look at it, i should be able to achive results that are just fine with a shorter barrel as most springers have barrels <430mm(vsr series that is) which is similiar to most m4 length barrels, but the overall gun is shorter. It is the Hopup that makes the most difference in my experience, and with the KWA, it has a similiar v-hop design.

Schulz, if you could have the enemy not know that there was a sniper out there, would you not want to have that advantage? Read the book "Long Rifle". One of the most important things for a sniper to do is blend in with the situation/environment. Whether it be a bush, the dark part of a room, or the infantry surrounding you, you don't want to draw attention to your self. Just carrying a long bolt gun(or DM style rifle) makes you a HUGE target at my field, and with the 3 ft high scrub brush it makes it that much harder to move. Trust me, i've done it with a TM m14 and while it is indeed possible, i would personally rather have something shorter and get every advantage i can get as i will alread have limited ammo, little or no backup, and at least an enemy squad to contend with after i fire my first shot. Also, they will not think immediately that it is a sniper due to the fact that it is an AEG.

To top it all off, like i stated in the previous posts, my usual engagement distance is 40-60 yards, and if they are farther out, i generally pass it up or manuver in closer so that i dont bust myself on a missed shot due to wind/environmental factors.

But of a rant there, but its not the gun that makes you a sniper, its your tactics. And yes, i am fit and very willing to fufill the role despite liking shorter guns because they are easier to manuever through dense brush.

Scar

If you like shorter guns, why not look into a bullpup DMR? I've seen some really nice TM AUG DMR's do excellently out on the field.

I've also heard of people creating low FPS DMR's using TK Twist barrels with lots of other hopup & bucking modifications and creating DMR's that they can utilize in CQB & long range if that strikes your fancy.

I would, but nothing is going to as solid internally as a KWA. If KWA made a bullpup gun with their 2gx bucking and gearbox, then i would go for it. My top contenders as of right now are the SR-10, but this is going to set me back $100 more after getting anew battery(i'm not made of money), or the KM 4 as its barrel is just a couple inches shorter than the sr-10, and i already have the battery for it. Possibly the m4 cqb with some mods as i really like the length, but i dont know how much range i will lose with that short of a barrel plus its 50 fps lower than the m4/sr-10's , so that is a big if compared to the others.

Man, if KWA made an l85, i'd be the first one to buy it. especially if it was like the psg-1 where the piston is held in the back position and cycled after the shot as opposed to before-but one can only dream lol

Scar

Man, if KWA made an l85, i'd be the first one to buy it. especially if it was like the psg-1 where the piston is held in the back position and cycled after the shot as opposed to before-but one can only dream lol

If you had the time/money you could make one. You could get the Army or Ares and put a KWA gearbox in it, with a few modifications (either with a mosfet or the sector gear I forget the name of) you could have exactly what you just described.

Screw it i think im just going to go with the sr-12 or sr-10. most likely the 12. When i think about it, the biggest issue i had with the m14 was it's off balance with the scope mount, and the sr12 has a 20 inch barrel, which when i think about it, really isn't that long. I've also been talking to a friend who's retired SWAT who has cleared a house with a 20 inch AR-15, so if he can do that i think i can deal with the length. Now its just down to picking an optic for it....

Archived