ACOG Scoped Weapons

That 249 looks good with the acog. I have a question thats a bit off topic but ive been curious bout for a while. On the reciever of an m4 on the right hand side of it, behind the ejection port there is a small cylindrical object exiting the reciever at about a 30 degree angle. What is it for??

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 249 looks good with the acog. I have a question thats a bit off topic but ive been curious bout for a while. On the reciever of an m4 on the right hand side of it, behind the ejection port there is a small cylindrical object exiting the reciever at about a 30 degree angle. What is it for??

It's the forward assist.

On the airsoft version it does nothing (apart from ICS guns, where it releases the spring tension), but in the real world it seems to have something to do with pushing the round all the way forward in the chamber.

Not sure though, you should REALLY ask someone with real experience.

Edited by HaVoC

On the ics it releases the spring tension before storage and somehow magicly makes you gun work when the gears jam etc.

On the real steel its to push a round into the breach when it doesnt want to go. So if the bolt locks forwards half way, you give it a push and it pushes the round in there. Used when rounds are dirty or deformed i think, which sounds quite a stupid idea to me.

A friend of mine used a diemaco when in canada with the ACF and he said that they were taught to use that instead of the bolt release catch. Strange drill , but if it works....

On the ics it releases the spring tension before storage and somehow magicly makes you gun work when the gears jam etc.

Sounds like you speak through experience.

On the real steel its to push a round into the breach when it doesnt want to go. So if the bolt locks forwards half way, you give it a push and it pushes the round in there. Used when rounds are dirty or deformed i think, which sounds quite a stupid idea to me.

Great idea jam the gun event more. Wouldn't that jus mean the cartridge would get stuck in the breach. or even worse if its on full auto next round might fire onto the jammed cartridge, not a pretty sight.

Great idea jam the gun event more. Wouldn't that jus mean the cartridge would get stuck in the breach. or even worse if its on full auto next round might fire onto the jammed cartridge, not a pretty sight.

Well, considering that the striker pin wouldn't be aligned with the primer cap, it wouldn't fire in the first place. That's why guns actually jam; because the action didn't work. Second, you can't load two pieces of brass at the same time. So no, actually.

Yes it works, with this you get a reddot in the Acog, right where the BB's will go (that's also on the crosshair)

but i mainly have it like this on mixed terrain, in CQB i remove the Acog and put it in my vest, on woodland i put it back on and leave the aimpoint where it is.

Here's my AUG with ACOG

AUGCQBSide.jpg

About the forward assist on a real rifle-

There are a series of grooves cut into the right side of the bolt carrier the forward assist pushes against those to fully seat the bolt. If the weapon is a bit dry on lube, ammo is old (ie recoil is weak), grit in the action, or any other countless reasons the bolt might not fully seat and lock, that thing is a godsend.

Look closely at the original M16 and you'll notice it doesn't have one. If you had a misfire with that rifle, your only choice was to yank the charging handle and hope the bolt fully seats this time. You lose a round each time you do that. Tapping the forward assist each time I load a magazine when shooting AR15's is second nature now. Unfortunately, knocking the magazine against my head (still used to wearing a kevlar when I fired M16's) is as well.