LCT AKM quick review

I always wanted to have an AKM.

Because is the most produced AK variant ever, in almost every conflict in where you see an AK, 90% are AKM/AKMS, and is also a very nice looking gun.

In 2009, finally we're able to buy high quality and reasonable priced AKM ($400), from LCT and VFC. I've chosen LCT, as i prefer its finishing to the VFC's offering.

Let's get into the replica.

I ordered the AKM to WGC. As always fast and efficient service.

The box.

1.jpg

Sticker identifying the gun.

2.jpg

The gun is well protected inside the box. The supplied accesories are just what appears to be an ACM 600rd HiCap magazine, a LCT leaflet and a brief guide to assemble the Kit (the gun can be also purchased without gearbox).

The replica out of the box with a Marui 68rd magazine.

4.jpg

3.jpg

The LCT AKM is completely made of steel, and laminated wood. The wood is very nice, much better than the one in my old G&G RK47.

The upper handguard is also laminated (i heard than in previous LCT guns it was solid)

5.jpg

LCT has improved the construction method of their AKM. Grobut explains it perfectly.

So, what's pinned, and whats grubbed?

1. Barrel assembly, still held by 2 grubbies beneath the rear sightblock, no change there.
  2. Rear sightblock, one pin, two small grubs on the underside.
  3. Front retainer for lower grip, rotating arm for dissasembly, no grubs.
  4. Gaschamber, one pin in the front, one grub on the underside at the back.
  5. Front sight, 2 pins over the barrel, one grub on the underside.

In other words, its much improved, and pin fanatics will be pleased, if not 100% satiesfied.

LCT AKMS discussion

Barrel asembly compared to VFC style construction.

5a.jpg

Back in the gun.

Everything is absolutely rock solid. The mag is the only thing that wobbles a bit when inserted into the gun.

LCT steel seems very nice. I'm not an expert on materials, but it feels stronger than the steel on my Dboys AKS74.

Markings could be better.

6.jpg

Some toughts about the selector and the bolt.

Being used to my DBoys AKS74 the selector is very tough, but locks in place perfectly.

The bolt is harder to pull than the Dboys, which is fine, but is not as smooth as i'd like. I definitely prefer the VFC style in this point.

7.jpg

The sights are nice and crisp.

8.jpg

The battery is stored in the stock. You have to remove the backplate to access the hollow of the stock were it is. It has a fuse with its fusebox.

I asked WGC about what batteries fit the gun, and they answered mini type.

9.jpg

Internally it uses a Cyma gearbox that works smoothly, what appears to be a plastic Hop Up chamber and a brass inner barrel.

About the perfomance. I've only fired a few test shots, with the Marui mag, which feeds perfecty. I haven't tried the supplied HiCap and i don't have intention to,

as i hate HiCaps.

My Scortech crono says its around 360fps (+- 5fps).

10.jpg

In conclusion, its a nice gun, and i'm plenty satisfied with my purchase.

But it's not perfect and some things like the markings or the bold could have been better.

To end the review, a family picture along with my Dboys AKS74.

11.jpg

Edited by lordyeray

Is it worth being double, or more the price of a Dboys , why/why not?

Externally(since you are familiar with both VFC/LCT) which one would your recommend to someone who has only seen the TM external design(and G&P/King Arms aftermarket) in terms of ruggedness, the wood laminate, markings dont affect my decision making at all, i just want the most bombproof construction of the actual reciever/trunnion/barrel.

Edited by Azulsky

i would say that the VFC's fully pinned construction is more rugged. it works for the real steel after all.

of course thats not to say that this method isnt solid, i'm sure it is perfectly sturdy.

materials are far better and stronger than Dboys, if that warrants the price tag is personal opinion ;)

So I take it anyone having a preference for Inokatsu is because of something other than ruggedness. I understand VFC have changed their type of anodizing/coating that are tuning out some of their fanbase. Does the pinned construction make the VFC's harder to take down(not expecting field stripping). I would assume that both are astronomically better than Marui designs at least, but the grub screw count is disconcerting now that i am dwelling on it some more. I expect to take down every gun i own as i get it and loctite stuff like that but on a $360 body kit it does seem that grubs are a weak design.

Nevertheless it seems that Ino does still offer a few models that VFC lacks, like a RPK or AMD65, and what looks to eventually be a Yugo M70 coming down the pipe

If the construction quality is really split 50/50, are more people converting from LCT to VFC or vice versa?

Edited by Azulsky

VFC are actually a lot easier to take down. LTC guns require you to remove the whole front end IIRC as the hop up is joined to the barrel (or something). VFC, you just remove th pistol grip, selector and an L shaped bit of plastic in front of the hop up unit, slide the HU unit forwards and lift the mechbox out. simple. other than that theres no real reason to take anything else apart (except for the realistic handguard takedown, but thats also a feature on these '09 LTC models).

LTC's grubbed construction is generaly reputed as being very solid too, and what with the addition of pins some of the slightly more dubiously fixed areas (e.g. front sight block) should be far more secure (some people have had the front sight blocks move off centre if screws become loose.

bear in mind that all of the unique LTC models you mentioned are yet to have the 2009 pinnec treatment, so they'll sill have the (solid, but still inferior) grubbed construction.

VFC have indeed changed their finishing from the slightly too glossy satin finished CED coating to this fugly, unrealistic new matte black finish. the matte finish doesnt look too bad on the newer AK10X varients, but on an AKM (or probably an AK74) it just looks wrong (luckily their AK74 range is still readily available). LTC's blued finish is also not too realistic (as the last AK to be blued was the AK47, after that they were parkerized and painted IIRC), but hell, at least it looks a lot nicer than the new VFC matte finish (LTC's bluing looks great when weathered too)

Is it worth being double, or more the price of a Dboys , why/why not?

Externally(since you are familiar with both VFC/LCT) which one would your recommend to someone who has only seen the TM external design(and G&P/King Arms aftermarket) in terms of ruggedness, the wood laminate, markings dont affect my decision making at all, i just want the most bombproof construction of the actual reciever/trunnion/barrel.

I think choosing VFC or LCT'09 is down to personal preference. Both are high quality replicas, made from much better materials than Dboys.

As my_plague_666 pointed, the VFC matte finish looks wrong on an AKM. Some people wont complain about this, and in the other hand will see the Guarder-style Blowback as a plus.

Personally, I dont regret choosing the LCT over the VFC, as the VFC blowback is not very nice, and could break the piston eventually, and the finish os the steel parts is nicer in the LCT.

About the furniture, i haven't seen a VFC AKM in person, but LCT 09 furniture is awesome. Is the best looking airsoft wood and closer to RS i've ever touched.

About China clones, Dboys have a great cost/quality ratio, and thats why i have one. They're very nice guns unlike Marui AK47 and its derivates, but the finishing on some parts, the quality of the materials used makes you feel its a very nice looking toy.

The LCT AKM is a different story, it feels and smells more like a real AK to me.