The Real Steel Discussion Thread

elrey

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't matter, pistons can be even more unreliable and messy, because of back pressure. It's a no win.

how so?

I think you are confusing between a SBR and a suppressed gun.

to address the reliability issue. while i think that the increase parts of a piston gun along with "carrier tilt" can theoretically increase failure/malfunction rates, it has been shown that the latest generation LWRC and HK piston weapon systems have proven themselves both in terms of round count and combat use. Anecdotally, there have been many PWS retrofit kit piston guns that have had 1000+ malfunction free round counts.

messy?

piston guns simply redirect the fouling to another place on the weapon, typically, the junction between the piston and the push rod. from an users perspective, i much rather clean the 2-3 piston parts than opening my receiver and cleaning my BCG. furthermore, being a left handed shooter, i don't enjoy fouling in my face.

typically, SBRs experience DECREASED back pressure, which is why you have short stroking and extraction problems. Noveske markets their FirePig muzzle device to not only direct muzzle blast forward but also augment back pressure for SBR systems

conversely, Suppressed guns experience INCREASED back pressure, which is why you have cyclic rate and bolt unlocking/extraction issues. in addition, the increase back pressure also results in increased fouling. the PRI may address shooter discomfort by redirecting the fouling to the other side of the gun, but it does nothing for messiness that will result in your receiver and BCG.

a Suppressed SBR will overall generate INCREASED back pressure, as the suppressor really does generate quite a bit of pressure via the baffles within its body.

a piston system will operate regardless of INCREASED back pressure, as the excess gas is simply vented. the piston system still needs some back pressure, but the back pressure generated by a SBR typically exceeds this requirement. the beauty of the piston is that, conceptually, the bolt is cycled at a consistent and optimum rate virtually irregardless of what the back pressure that is generated.

many gun experts agree that a piston-operated SBR and/or suppressed gun will result in an overall MORE reliable gun.

if you are running a nonSBR AR-system, i feel that the smaller benefits of a piston system does not justify the increased cost. unless of course, you are already rich.

I've already read it. :D I know that the one-piece bolt is (almost) complete, not quite to production stage (we'll find out how close they are when I get mine), but I've not heard anything on the op rod springs being redesigned. They might already have been but LWRC is planning to have a repair kit available off of their website, shortly, anyway (and I will be picking up one of them before I head out to OR).

Anyway, I thought that most of the problems documented were relatively minor and the major ones are solve-able by either preventative maintenance (they only cleaned the guns twice during those times), going away from vendor parts (which LWRCI has done), or simply re-designing a spring (the op-rod spring). Like the author, though, I wish they could have gotten the chance to more thoroughly test the nitrided cold hammer-forged barrels.

Thanks to the article I, as a proud future-owner of an LWRCI, I am confident that I have made the correct choice. :)

Well thanks for that kick in the balls of my self esteem haha... But I would agree, if your not in a very hot, sandy place filled with smelly people then a solid tan paintjob probably doesn't make much sense

But......But...... it looks cool.

And besides, is breaking up the outline on a 10.5" SBR really neccesary based on what SBR's are used for? I mean, your not gonna be hiding in the woods with a Ghillie Suit and a 10.5" SBR are we?

I doubt it's a fad: Big Army is no longer interested in any new weapon systems in any color but FDE.

Anyway. Thinking of running a TT Mini-MAV with four FastMag GenIIs, Camelbak, Safariland 568 with a Galco couble-mag carrier for the carbine course. Somehow, I can't help but think that my Colt 1911/18 will get stared at (hmm... CTG?) and/or rust. :mellow:

I doubt it's a fad: Big Army is no longer interested in any new weapon systems in any color but FDE.

Anyway. Thinking of running a TT Mini-MAV with four FastMag GenIIs, Camelbak, Safariland 568 with a Galco couble-mag carrier for the carbine course. Somehow, I can't help but think that my Colt 1911/18 will get stared at (hmm... CTG?) and/or rust. :mellow:

Not sure how much I'd go buck wild on gear yet. It's taken me years to finally figure out a rig that works well, and that's by trial and error.

Oh, I've got a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. :P I've been working with gear for a while, too, complete with the proverbial closet of disused gear.

I like my Safariland holster, I like my Galco mag pouches, I like the full-size MAV (but I don't need something that size for four magazines), my CamelBak works well, and I figure the FastMags probably are just what the doctor ordered for a course like this.

I would keep the Camelback... Doesn't take long to get dehydrated

Gear wise I can't decide if I want to run a chest rig (MAV or Eagle LE FB) or a Redi-Mag and couple of rifle mags on my belt

I was thinking of picking up one of the Eagle M4-M9 FB pouches but just heard that they are discontinuing them... Oh well

Archived