The Real Steel Discussion Thread

elrey

You never know when someone might decide to nuke Portland. And then we'll be all on our own and running away. And you'll be thanking me for bringing my CamelBak! :P

Mmmm... No more hippies. :) I need to get a bladder. I just got issued new gear, and they only gave us the carriers. <_< And yay, Navy, they issued me a PASGT helmet, and old school ELBV. :mellow:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind checking out the stippling but the slide serrations just ruin it for me...

For my money I would just send my 3rd Gen out to Wendell Tactical or Bowie and get a grip reduction and stippling job

Eta: Also I guess it's just the angle of the photo but I can't see the front sight... If they are still rocking plastic ###### on these models swapping them out for real sights would be the first thing on my list

I would keep the Camelback... Doesn't take long to get dehydrated

Gear wise I can't decide if I want to run a chest rig (MAV or Eagle LE FB) or a Redi-Mag and couple of rifle mags on my belt

I was thinking of picking up one of the Eagle M4-M9 FB pouches but just heard that they are discontinuing them... Oh well

Both are probably good choices. The two piece MAV is pretty cool, because it's easier to take oof then the one piece MAV. the Eagle chest rig is nifty aswell.

You should still get one. Thier awesome. Triad Tactical has them for $50 in all the cool colors.

Mailman was good to me, today.

I gots:

-OKC-3S bayo

-TD SCAR rail covers

-MP MIAD grip

-XS AR-15 tritium stripe

-MI HK-hook adapter

-MD Art of the Tactical Carbine

Tomorrow, I should be getting:

-LT LT-139 (SPR-E mount)

-LT LT-109 (Inline light mount)

-LT Discreet case

-MP PMAGs?

Almost makes up for the gouge across the top of my head I got today from the bloody sharp-ended shelving at work. <_<

And I solved my 1911 problem by trading my Colt (that I've owned twice) for a Kimber SIS (this individual weapon I've owned three times). Think I have a hard time deciding whether I like old-fashioned iron and walnut or modern polymer and aluminum?

So: Current projects:

LWRC M6A3:

Waiting for: The rifle and the SEI Vortex.

Benelli M2 Tactical:

Waiting for: Nordic Components 3-round magazine extension, Nordic Components M1/M2 bolt handle, SureFire 617-LED.

Kimber SIS Custom:

Waiting for: XS Big Dot sights, Kimber stubby right-side safety, Crimson Trace laser grips.

I think I have just found my rig... Made by Raven Concealment Systems (who make the ONLY concealment holster in my opinion)

RCSsetup2.jpg

RCSsetup.jpg

I think this along with another RCS holster mounted on a duty belt with a FAK on the backside might just be my new go to rig (both in the trunk and while doing "low pro" work on the .mil side)

Speaking of EAG... is there anyway of getting the EAG-style 'name plates' for PMAGs? :unsure:

(I saw them in this month's SWAT and thought they would work wonders both for ownership and for ID'ing bad/broken mags in need of repair/refit/replacement.)

EDIT: I think I sh__ myself. RCS certainly is proud of their kit, aren't they?

I paid about $75 for a Phantom LC that allows me to carry with my light mounted... That is comparable for Bladtech or any other quality holster

Considering Blackhawk has the nerve to charge $50 for their CQC paddle I think that's fair haha... To me it is like comparing an OEM Aimpoint mount to one from Larue, in the end it is worth the expense

In the end you are looking a custom holster made to your specification with a lifetime guarantee... If you find a way to break it, they will make it right... And after wearing one for 12+ hours for several months now I will never own another CCW holster

I was looking at the price of their magazine carriers, specifically their rifle magazine carriers. Four of them, in Target Indicator Black, is roughly equal to the cost of four tan FastMags and a tan TT Mini-MAV. :| Not an easy choice.

Anyway, the BHI CQC SERPA doesn't retail anywhere around here for $50. :unsure:

I might give one of their holsters a whirl, though. The lack of a thumb strap is deterring for me, though.

If you have never utilized belt mounted pouches they are noticeably faster than any chest rig/pouch setup I have ever used

Sorry if I overshot the retail for Serpa's, just going off what they charged when they first came out... I will however say that when talking about things that my life can possibly depend on I am willing to spend a little extra (I mean if that wasn't the case we would all be shooting Wolf ammo out of HiPoint carbines and carrying Raven .25s)

As for as not having a retention thumbstrap I find that a plus... I have mine setup as a an IWB rig and really wouldn't want a thumbstrap to fumble with... By the time I get my cover garment (garmentS during the colder months) I dont really want that extra step keeping me from getting my pistol in hand

That said I do keep a Safariland paddle on hand for certain times I have to openly carry in civilian clothing... But really unless you have handgun retention training then you probably shouldn't openly carry no matter the holster design

I just like thumb straps/snaps and other retention systems. I just don't have enough confidence in a holster that doesn't have one, especially for 'serious' stuff. (That being said, my Safariland doesn't have a thumb snap/ALS/whatever... although Safariland apparently does make a concealable with it, I just haven't been able to find it.)

You ordered it? Cant wait to see it, hopefully only another 2 weeks before I see mine.

Yes I did, which stealth upper did you get?

I have coming:

-LMT Defender 2000 (picking it up from my FFL tomorrow)

-Rainier Arms Order 1: KNS Pins, Magpul MIAD in FDE

-Rainier Arms Order 2: Magpul CTR, TD Stubby, and TD Panels all in FDE

-Stag Safeties (2 for me, 1 for Wayne)

-Surefire M900 in FDE (damn does FedEx ground take FOREVER)

Still waiting to ship:

-Larue 12" Stealth Upper

-LMT Castle Nut

-Magpul Items: MBUSs, ASAPs, MS2s

-Extra AAC Blackout Flashhider

I just don't have enough confidence in a holster that doesn't have one, especially for 'serious' stuff

I have had to go "hand on" at work and participated in FoF training and never had a second thought as to my holsters ability to keep my sidearm in place... Would I want it mounted on a Sam Brown while in uniform? No... But for my present assignment (or for civilian concealed carry) it is good to go

I have had to go "hand on" at work and participated in FoF training and never had a second thought as to my holsters ability to keep my sidearm in place... Would I want it mounted on a Sam Brown while in uniform? No... But for my present assignment (or for civilian concealed carry) it is good to go

It's not your confidence that bothers me. It's my lack of confidence that bothers me. :P

Haha fair enough

And to add to your and Tit's lists

Arrived today:

New Murse

TAD Jacket (got it in yesterday)

Awaiting:

ASAP mount, MS2 sling

Redi Mag

Pmags

Rail covers

Left to order:

Metric *suitcase* ton of ammo

Magpul class reservation

EAG class reservation

Bunch of Raven goodies (?)

Few more Pmags

(And all the assorted goodies for my next build)

Archived