Pictures of your rides

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ever been in a turboed civic?

i think it would change your mind

A turboed civic is still nothing compared to a similarly priced "real" sports car. Let's say you get a cheap one for about $4k and put a turbo kit on it for around $1k. (And this is assuming there arent any huge exhausts, airplane wings, or neon lights on the car) For $5k you could easily get a N/A 300ZX *points to avatar* or turboed 280ZX that will perform much better because they were designed to handle that kind of power from the factory. A lot more potential for upgrades too.

ever read Sport Compact Car?  they did articles on the Honda Civic (D16), the Nissan Sentra SER (SR20DE) and the Nissan 240SX (KA24DE)

The Civic, with a homebrew turbo kit (T3 from a Nissan 280ZX), laid down about 240hp at the wheels with the exhaust bypass open, 220hp with it closed.  The Scion only makes 160hp at the crankshaft, and it weighs more.

The scion with a homebrew turbo kit would make quite a bit of horsepower too. That doesn't change what type of car it is- a sport compact. (and I love tCs BTW... Civics are great too if you use them for what they're made for). 240HP isnt that much either. Just because there are fast civics doesn't mean they're supposed to be fast. Anything can be made to be fast with time and work.

Then again this is just my opinion. People who take the time and money to make truely fast Civics and such do deserve credit, and I suppose the ones with airplane wings and fart can exhausts can live in happiness with their cars as long as they're satisfied with them. I don't really have any cars worth posting pictures of... yet. =D

(1994 Toyota Corolla for those who are curious. And no, I don't plan to turbo mine because for that much I could just go buy a decent '90s sports car. Preferably something with T-tops and a big round "Z" in the front!)

Edited by rtrdpenguin
For $5k you could easily get a N/A 300ZX

The naturally aspirated cars have relatively low aftermarket support

The scion with a homebrew turbo kit would make quite a bit of horsepower too. That doesn't change what type of car it is- a sport compact. (and I love tCs BTW... Civics are great too if you use them for what they're made for). 240HP isnt that much either. Just because there are fast civics doesn't mean they're supposed to be fast. Anything can be made to be fast with time and work.

I also think that the TC is an attractive car, just not the right one for me right now. SCC had a project TC which they considered turbocharging, but they decided not because the engine (from the Camry) had so much torque that it would already spin it's tires, and the boost would come on at about the same time as the torque curve started to ramp up.

The naturally aspirated cars have relatively low aftermarket support

Don't tell that to Holley, Edelbrock, Morroso, Crane Cams, Richmond gear, Weind, and Hooker headers to name a few. Not to mention GM and Ford Performance respectively. And thats just for their V8s'..... Don't get me started on the Air Cooled VW sceen! ;)

... a naturally asperated Nissan might have low after market support, but there's a lot more to performance cars then imports. :D

• 2 weeks later...
ever been in a turboed civic?

i think it would change your mind

turbo Civics (HB, Coupes and Sedans) aren't sh!t. . .ever been in a turboed CRX? Now your cooking!. . .will easily keep up with most modern 4s and V6 (turboed and non-turbos). . even some V8s.

(former CRX owner, now WRX owner)

Wee, going in a straight line sure is fun....

Horsepower isnt everything fellas.

I chose a less powerful car simply because it handled better than its more powerful rivals.

The power of a 350z sure is alluring but the car handles like ######.

right. . HP is nothing. . which is why a CRX(for ex. ) can easily take a 35OZ in autocross...

my friend's 90hp '86 Corolla easily overtook his boss' 91 Carerra around a circular on-ramp. . Porsche couldn't go over 65 w/o losing traction. .the Corolla was going 92 mph.

sorry. . back to car pics. .