Pictures of your rides

I guess here is as good a place to ask as any, seeing as the more petrol headed members frequent this thread..

What are peoples recommendations for a first car?

I need it to be big enough for me (I'm 6 ft 4), with a decent boot. Obviously I want something thats vaguely cool, and as cheap to insure as possible..

Im thinking Vauxhall Astra..

Budget is £3000 max.

Thanks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you're in the UK, like me, so insurance will likely be a killer on small hatchbacks or even the likes of focus/astra etc. Even though those are still quite expensive due to the Barrys and their insistence of driving their fibreglass and halford clad pieces of ###### into everything.

May i suggest something crazy? :P

A Cheap, old 4x4 ;) You'd be surprised at how cheap an old landy would be to insure, they're so easy to fix and if you hit anything just knock it out with a hammer. Alternatively look at Suzuki Samurai 410s and such. Tiny wee engine but brilliant motors and can handle off-road suberbl... if that is your thing :P The running costs wouldn't be stupid either... Maybe look at old BMWs? They're getting DIRT cheap and really aren't bad.

Alternatively, get a volvo, they're big but cheap to insure because... they're volvos and undesirable to the corsa crew and the stereotypical young drivers of Britain - which apparently helps.

I am biased - coming from a family that own nothing but the Swedish bricks :)

I would like a Landy but their reliability is a bit of a worry, I am going to be making 200 mile weekend trips fairly regularly so I need it to get me back to A from B!

I've looked at old beamers, but the insurance isnt great. I'll try older models though.

Yeah, a Volvo is a possibility.

Cheers.

Nissan Kingcab 87 Diesel, funnily enough it only draws 0.8 liters per metric mile(10 kilometers) on 2wd.

Never had any real issues with it, the body is prone to rusting... That's bout it.

This particular car (registerd as a Light Truck) is heightened, so it's even better i rough terrain than the original kingcabs, and it has new seats that's higher, because me and dad are pretty short (175-ish)

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p3010091qr4.jpg

I dont' know how the insurance is in Britain but here it's pretty cheap as the car aint that heavy and is registrerd as a Light Truck (Means it can only take 2 passangers legally and you can load more weight on it legally, it's also cheaper.)

Edited by Noart
I guess here is as good a place to ask as any, seeing as the more petrol headed members frequent this thread..

What are peoples recommendations for a first car?

I need it to be big enough for me (I'm 6 ft 4), with a decent boot. Obviously I want something thats vaguely cool, and as cheap to insure as possible..

Im thinking Vauxhall Astra..

Budget is £3000 max.

Thanks.

I'd have said a Ford Focus rather than an Astra, although saying that my mate's the same size as you and he has a 1.2 Corsa which is cheap to insure and with the back sits folded down fits 2 with all our airsofts kit in easily Edited by Fizzy
I want the low down on your car moriquende. I love me 240's and yours looks like a great example :D

Well, it's not really mine to be truthfull, it's my father's.

He used to race with it in Volvo Origninal Cup(SSK, Circuit) but he quit doing so due to costs. They wanted the drivers to change safety equipment every 5 years. Belts, helmets, seats and suits, not cheap.

It sat for 4 years in storage until I got my drivers licence and I asked him to have it converted back for road use so I could drive it. We both agreed that it would be better for it to used rather than to just rust and mold in storage.

Anyway, it's his car, but I currently drive and care for it :D .

I wish I knew all the technical specs, but I can't remember it all. It's all tuned stock parts, though.

The only specs I can remeber are the engine specs so here you go:

B32E - mechanical injection

K-camshaft

170hk/222Nm

All stock. Renovated and tuned to perfection.

I would like a Landy but their reliability is a bit of a worry, I am going to be making 200 mile weekend trips fairly regularly so I need it to get me back to A from B!

I've looked at old beamers, but the insurance isnt great. I'll try older models though.

Yeah, a Volvo is a possibility.

Cheers.

Don't get a beemer...

TrasigBMW.jpg

TrasigBmw2.jpg

That is what happens to an older BMW when it gets side-impacted by a 4 ton mini-bus(you can see it in the back of the second picture).

;)

Don't get a beemer...

That is what happens to an older BMW when it gets side-impacted by a 4 ton mini-bus(you can see it in the back of the second picture).

;)

To be fair, I would have thought that would happen to most older cars when hit by a 4 ton minibus..

Edited by tom lawson

Probably every other car exept Volvos. ;)

But for the overall quality and price, german cars are the worst in this regard.

Audi, BMW, VW... They all pretty much break at the same exact spot. Which is scary as hell. :wide-eyed:

Edited by Moriquende

Swapped out the original 305 for a 350 tpi from an 87 IROC, replaced the interior, rebuilt the 700r4 trand and installed a performance shift kit in it, sent off the intake to get polished, new wheels, new paint hugger orange w/2 black racing stripes, 2.5" cowl hood(not pictured), and added a turbo kit that I got off ebay for a little over $1300 last year. All with the help of my dad and grandpa over 3 years and way too much money. Its my bragging rights/ Friday night stop light car. My 2009 Camaro SS will be my daily driver when it gets delivered B) aww yeah.

So its twin turbo? Sorry, but it looks like a centrifugal blower in the pic you posted

I linked the wrong image, my bad. I dont have pics of my engine but here is a pic of the same engine with the single kit I bought the double kit.

10%20-%20mockup1.jpg

Heres the link to the newer design kit. Link

Edited by Walton_County_Firefighter