Pictures of your rides

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomme: Do you honestly have a sticker on the back of your Jeep that says Ford recovery vehicle? I love ya man, but trust me. I'm a mechanic, and there is no way a Jeep is going to be rescuing any four wheel drive Fords. Nice Jeep though. Doesn't apper to be a scratch or dent on it.

Thomme: Do you honestly have a sticker on the back of your Jeep that says Ford recovery vehicle? I love ya man, but trust me. I'm a mechanic, and there is no way a Jeep is going to be rescuing any four wheel drive Fords. Nice Jeep though. Doesn't apper to be a scratch or dent on it.

dude, Ford F-150s and Rangers are abysmal trucks (from what I've seen) gimme a nice, tough Chevy 1500 or Dodge Dakota to take on a trail. Although with the right parts swapped out, any truck'll be a tough little SOB. The Jeep may not have the 350 lbs of torque that a Ford F-150'll push, but, the F-150's way too large for comfortable offroading in my opinion. I used to have to jump my friend's Ranger at least once a week because the alternator was junk. He put two OEM alternators in, both of 'em left him with dead batteries, and when the second one got so bad that I was jumping him all the time, he swapped it out with a mazda one or something from the foreign companies and it worked like a charm.

Only big problem I have with the Cherokees and Wranglers is the stock 4-speed auto. I'm been getting alot of gimpy shifts between 1 and 2 and I got a couple friends with Wranglers that are experiencing the same phenomon (sp?) I just wish I got the 5-speed stick instead of the crappy 4 speed. Other than that and the occasional not turning over, it's a really nice, well made truck. Much better than most Ford trucks or cars I've worked on, been in and seen.

PS... aren't you 15? How are you a, "mechanic?" I'm going to school to be an automotive technician, just to let ya know, you're not the only 1337 @\/70 G\/Y

PS: Explorers, Rangers, F-150s, T-birds, Taurus', Probes.

all Fix Or Repair Daily cars

of course that's not much better than Chrysler's track records with the LH, ZJ, minivans and neons, I admit. (I know, I had an LH, that thing ALWAYS needed something)

Most reliable American cars are definately GM's.

And now that Volvo has been bought by ford, I think the days of 300K mile Volvos are gone. But, being a mechanic and having a car that you like, even if it does take some TLC, is pretty fun. I love having to *fruitcage* with my throttle body at least once a month to get the Jeep started or clean my girlfriend's turbo filter in her Volvo (a 12 year old 940Turbo with no compression cuase her stepdad ran it on regular for 5 years!)

Edited by Thomme

Oh, I got more:

This was 'sposed to be mine, my dad's old 84' Thunderchicken with that Ford 4-speed and 116 HP I4.... yuck! I hate the 80's

thunderbird001.jpg

but the elecs totally fried for no reason one day and never worked again, he sold the car for 200 dollars.

elantra.jpg

except for a spoiler and a stripe down the side, my 97' Hyundai Elantra GLS looked just like this. I totalled that when the front left steering assembly snapped when I took a turn at 45 mph... never did that again. It had a 117hp 1.8l I4, IIRC.

99xj009.jpg

lh.jpg

the one in the back

96' Eagle Vision ESi that I wired in an electronic tap shifter, redid the chipset, cold air intake, throttle spacer and K&N filters. Had the 3.3l V-6 but modded it up to an estimated 170-180 horses from about 164. It definately had alot of pep for a car of it's stature. That baby was sweet, until, about a year and a half ago, the steering started getting sluggish and it leaked steering fluid. Well, turns out, the rack's bolts had stripped, so, the whole assembly would move before the wheels would. I stopped driving it for about a month, got back into it and the transmission had gone limp, completely. I had a 2-speed Eagle Vision that wouldn't turn correctly. I got the Jeep after that, cuase I wanted a Jeep and I needed something to fit a Marshall Halfstack, Vox AC-30, Fender 1x15 and Kustom III bass head into. The Jeep fit the bill.

As you can tell, I have a boner for Mopar junk, that Hyundai had quite a bit of left over Mopar stuff in it, actually. There's some conspiracy with Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi that's kind'a weird.

Edited by Thomme

So you are basing all of your opinions on a vehicle manufacturing company with only experince from what you have heard, and the *suitcasey* vehicles your friends drive? *suitcasey* vehicles that sound *suitcasey* because it appears your friends don't know how to maintain them. I would also like to point out that any Ranger/Mazda B2200 from 2000 on have had all electrical problems(oh man, these things looked like a damn three year old did the wiring.) and transmission problems taken care of. The new Explorer Sport Tracs are possibly the best off-roders for the money ever since Ford redid the entire SUV back in '02. Also, commenting on the size of an F150 not being good for off roading, then saying you would like a Chevrolet 1500 contradicts itself. The trucks are almost the same size man. A few inches off on wheelbase and width, and thats about it. You also have to consider taht the '03 and up models of GMC/Chevy pickups are easily the least reliable they have ever been, whilst the new F150s are arguably the best trucks ever made. Thats my rant you 1337 @\/70 G\/Y you :P .

PS: About the 15 YO mechanic. Under the table baby. :D Also, the four speed problems you are encountering seem to be a materials flaw in the tranny production of the Jeep 4 speed in your Cherokee. The trannies just wear themselves out. They still work, but become "gimpy"(which is a really good way to pu it) in the lower gears. I believe it has to do with the RPMs the tranny shifts at. Could be the reason, but I'm not going to invest time into finding out. Besides, I have no vehicle to find out with. :D

EDIT: I call my '91 Thunderbird the Thunderchicken too! LOL.

Edited by M1911A2 guy
So you are basing all of your opinions on a vehicle manufacturing company with only experince from what you have heard, and the *suitcasey* vehicles your friends drive? *suitcasey* vehicles that sound *suitcasey* because it appears your friends don't know how to maintain them. I would also like to point out that any Ranger/Mazda B2200 from 2000 on have had all electrical problems(oh man, these things looked like a damn three year old did the wiring.) and transmission problems taken care of. The new Explorer Sport Tracs are possibly the best off-roders for the money ever since Ford redid the entire SUV back in '02. Also, commenting on the size of an F150 not being good for off roading, then saying you would like a Chevrolet 1500 contradicts itself. The trucks are almost the same size man. A few inches off on wheelbase and width, and thats about it. You also have to consider taht the '03 and up models of GMC/Chevy pickups are easily the least reliable they have ever been, whilst the new F150s are arguably the best trucks ever made. Thats my rant you 1337 @\/70 G\/Y you :P .

PS: About the 15 YO mechanic. Under the table baby. :D  Also, the four speed problems you are encountering seem to be a materials flaw in the tranny production of the Jeep 4 speed in your Cherokee. The trannies just wear themselves out. They still work, but become "gimpy"(which is a really good way to pu it) in the lower gears. I believe it has to do with the RPMs the tranny shifts at. Could be the reason, but I'm not going to invest time into finding out. Besides, I have no vehicle to find out with. :D

EDIT: I call my '91 Thunderbird the Thunderchicken too! LOL.

I didn't say that I'd take a 1500 offroading, (actually, I did, my bad, it's about 3:00AM, I just meant I'd take it as a truck, over the ford) I just said I'd take it over a Ford. And I've worked on F-150's in the autoshop at school, an 88 and a 96, plus an 82 bronco, 99 Ranger, a few taurus that come through, a probe that had chronic alignment issues and an explorer that would just vomit oil whenever we started 'er. Just needed a new gasket, but, still, I've never seen so many of the same make go through a highschool auto shop.

And my tranny's shifting at the 2300 mark, gets stuck between 1 and 2 and sort of jumbles into 2. I think it's the torque converter more than the actually gears in the transmission, but, it's still something that other people with the same tranny have noticed.

Now, I know that new Mopars have their problems, but, Ford's reputation has been scarred since my Dad's T-bird and I've seen a lot more problematic Fords than Jeeps.

Edited by Thomme

Well, I guess you guys get better Jeeps in Chicago. I have seen more 4.0L motors die in my autoshop(well, the one I work at) than any other make of vehicle except a Capri, but they just suck anyways. And we also have to consider the almighty opinion. any educated on the topic man with a valid opinion can argue all day long. so lets just call it even, eh? We have our reasons for our opinions, nothing wrong with that. Don't want another sp00n like thread to occur. I think he is still mad at me. Well, night guys. its past my bed time.

Sport trac best off-roader for the money?!?!? Jeeps not being able to rescue Fords?!? wow....yeah, you have a lot to learn. DO NOT even get me goin on vehicles and their off-road capability, or who or what my Jeep has recovered, cause this thread will never end....let stick to just pics

Sport trac best off-roader for the money?!?!?  Jeeps not being able to rescue Fords?!? wow....yeah, you have a lot to learn.  DO NOT even get me goin on vehicles and their off-road capability, or who or what my Jeep has recovered, cause this thread will never end....let stick to just pics

Oh, thats right, your widley modified Jeep CJ5(?) And yes, notice how I said "possibly". Not absolutely, but possibly. Meaning it is very good for the price, but has competition.

Jeeps are great stock off-roaders, but I do not belive your Jeep is remotely stock. Although it is nice(well, I like it at least) any properly modified vehicle could become an off-road rescue vehicle. So your Jeep is exempt from that discussion considering it isn't stock. But the new CRDs Jeep has for the Liberty are a thing of beauty, and potential monsters off the paved roads. So, yeah. Like I said before, anyone with knowledge on automobiles could argue with someone for hours, so lets stick to the

And no, I don't have a lot to learn. Aeronautics I have little knowledge of, and I would like to learn more about repairing diesels. Thats about it.

My brother has a lifted Durango. Oh my, that thing is incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately, though, he had to take the off-road tires off of it because his wife, who was pregnant at the time, was driving it around while he was in Iraq. He also, at one time, had 3 12 inch woofers in the back of it. Talk about pounding =]

My sister-in-law was involved in an accident whilst driving the Durango around. The accident had something to do with a semi jack-knifing and causing a huge pile up. My brother's Durango was the only car that was remenicent of an accordion. Although, the driver side seat did come off of its track, slamming my sister-in-law's head into the stearing wheel giving her a black eye.

My 2004 GMC Canyon

Not an exact picture, just found one off the internet.

But add a custom toolbox, side rails on the bed, and tech tubes.

Has the offroad package, spray in bed liner, and xm radio as well.

Also, M1911A2 guy, I saw one of those econolines for sale near our farm in someone's driveway, I can not remember the exact price, but do you know what would be a reasonable price incase it is still there next time I go by there.

Edited by 762spetz
The new Explorer Sport Tracs are possibly the best off-roders for the money ever since Ford redid the entire SUV back in '02.

Kid, this statement alone completely proves you know NOTHING of what your talking about. The weak IRS system makes it a terrible off-road platform. It was designed with city driving soccer moms in mind, not off roading, even though Ford would like you to belive it. The ONLY good SUV's for any sort of off roading are the Chevy Blazer (fullsize) and the fullsized Ford Bronco.

And the whole "a jeeps never going to rescue a Ford" BS is complete fanboy nonsense. My advice to you is to go back to playing with your RC cars before you dig yourself any deeper.

Thats right, no stock Jeep is going to be rescuing anything. Not saying they can't go off-roading, which they can, but they won't be pulling full sized Fords out of mud holes. Sorry for not making the stock Jeep observation 110% clear. And by making the statement that the ONLY, as in ONLY two SUVs that are good enough for any kind of off-roading are the Full size Broncos and Trail Blazers completely proves you know nothing about what YOU"RE talking about. To be completely realistic smaller SUVs are the ideal platforms for off-roading vehicles. Smaller, more compact rigs are the way to go. The Boxer Broncos of the '60s and Jeeps are at the top of my list for platforms. Small, lightweight, highly modifiable. You can have your Blazer, I'll just laugh when you discover you are too wide to fit in between the narrow canyon walls or tight mountain trail in your mahoosive rig. So, my advice to you is to stop being such an *beep* and thinking that your opinion is right no matter what reality has to say about it. And I will keep on playing with my nitro cars. They are fun , a blast to work on, and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a real SUV and putting thousands into it.

EDIT: Forgot to rant about Sport Trac: What vehicle of the modern day(aside form three quarter and one ton trucks that is, along with transport vans and semis) isn't designed for city driving? The power-to-weight ratio on the new Sport Tracs is awesome, and as long as you don't Dukes of Hazzard the thing the suspension will do just fine. If you run ANYTHING too hard, something will break. Its a fact.

Edited by M1911A2 guy
That the best you could do? Instead of making valid points, you say,"Talking to yourself again?" Good job, you showed me.  ;)

Want to keep going? Fine.

Thats right, no stock Jeep is going to be rescuing anything. Not saying they can't go off-roading, which they can, but they won't be pulling full sized Fords out of mud holes.

Whats your proof? Ive been pulled out by jeeps all the time, and I have a fullsized Chevy 1500. And yes, it was almost always a stock Jeep.

And by making the statement that the ONLY, as in ONLY two SUVs that are good enough for any kind of off-roading are the Full size Broncos and Trail Blazers completely proves you know nothing about what YOU"RE talking about. To be completely realistic smaller SUVs are the ideal platforms for off-roading vehicles. Smaller, more compact rigs are the way to go.

So you just told me I didnt know what I was talking about, then agreed with me? Wow, your not to bright are you. The Chevy Blazer (NOT trailblazer) is exactly that, a smaller, more compact SUV. It makes an absolutely amazing off roading platform. Dont belive me? Go to any offroading forum, theres about a million people running these rigs and swear by them.

EDIT: Forgot to rant about Sport Trac: What vehicle of the modern day(aside form three quarter and one ton trucks that is, along with transport vans and semis) isn't designed for city driving? The power-to-weight ratio on the new Sport Tracs is awesome, and as long as you don't Dukes of Hazzard the thing  the suspension will do just fine. If you run ANYTHING too hard, something will break. Its a fact.

The IRS system prohibits a decent suspension lift, cuts the load you can carry in half, is FAR weaker than any SRA system, and will break more often and be more expensive to fix than a SRA. The ride is also less stable than a solid axle platform in offroading conditions. I would sooner suggest an Escalade for offroading than a Sport Trac.

Are you happy now, or do I need to write it in crayon for you?

Edited by sp00n

Well I'm sorry I accidently referred to thye TRAIL BLAZER as a Blazer. Obviously forgetting the Trail makes me legally retarded, so lets continue. Yes, a solid rear axle will always be stronger and less expensive. It is also a thing that anyone would rather have to swap out by themselves, when compared to an IRS system. But, once again, if you don't beat the vehicle on the trail, it will do fine. And by beat I don't mean go of-roading. I'm talking about guys who thrash their rigs, which isn't a good idea to begin with, no matter what you are driving. And, once again, I am going to mention the nice power-to-weight ratio and and comfortable for the trails ride height of the Sport Trac. Suspension is undeniably important in the world of off-roading, but the IRS in the SP isn't going to fall apart on you the second you hit dirt. I have no porblem in admitting that IRS isn't ideal for off-roading, but if you are an easy going driver, the Sport trac won't give you any problems.

Along the lines of stock Jeeps not being rescuers, I think we need to evaluate on "rescuing" first. To me, rescuing a vehicle off road involves a tragedy. I see what you're saying if by resuce you mean giving someone a tow, or helping them get un-stuck from a log or rock, but when I hear resuce I see a truck half buried in thick *albatross* mud, or an SUV that accidentally drove into a really steep ditch. In my limited experiences off-roading( I have gone O-R many times, but only recently have actually driven the trail) my father and I were out in backwoods of Idaho, checking out a trail we had never been on with a few friends. We are coming over a kelly hump(before I forget, we were in a 1988 F-250 XLT ) when we hear a nasty scrape, metal on rock, and the truck stops moving. A horrible sound emits from beneath the truck when the old man(my father of course) taps the gas. He turns it off and gives it a looksy. There just happened to be a very large half buried rock at the bottom of the hump, which managed to nearly rip the transfer case from the F-250. Our friends' Liberty ended up towing to the nearest gas station, where A1 took over. I could consider that a rescue, but I was thinking more along the lines of a stock Jeep pulling a truck/SUV out of a nasty mud hole. Misunderstanding turned flame war of sorts. and in my experiences, I have never seen a Jeep pull a full sized truck out of a mud hole, though I did witness a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon stop a 2500 Ram from sinking in more than it would have.

Now where is my crayon post! :D

Edited for spelling

Edited by M1911A2 guy

M1911A2's car

P1010002.jpg

That car is awesome. Modern versions of this are everywhere around here. Theres a lot of similar cars too, but many of them are poorly made. I've seen 3 people sit in the cab of a "Veryca" and it sinks so low that the cab is almost touching the tiny wheels.

Edited by thegunrunner

The suspension that is rigged to the straight axle of my Econoline is VERY stiff. I could fit three poeple in my '62 and have no problems with the front dipping too low. What company makes this "Veryca"? I would like to see one, unless it is a carbon copy of the Econolines and Dodge A-100s.