Pictures of your rides

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I ask how much money your family have on their bank account?

I assume you're asking Kyber that question, right?

Kyber, as for the Volvo, I'll get a pic later on, but it's a great car. My dad used to own a V70 Turbo, and that thing was insane, we got it up to 150mph when we drove to Vegas one summer (NV has great long flat roads, with no cops!). But that said the XC70 AWD is a great car, I like it because it's really fast considering it's a wagon. In fact a lot of the sports car owners at work have asked to take it for a spin, and all have been really impressed with it. Going from a rear wheel drive E30 BMW to an AWD Volvo has been interesting, I like the acceleration better on the BMW, but the steering on the Volvo is really tight.

Plus when you fold down the rear seats you have a ton of cargo space, which I find to be great for lugging stuff to and from airsoft games. Still kills me to fill it up at the pump, but anyways I dig it. I'll take a photo of it vs the old car later on.

Now that is what i call a car, very very nice.

As for me i'm stuck with an old J reg Nissan micra, i'm not gonna complain though, 1st car and i didn't have to pay for it :D

That's a nice Mustang there xumfia, I was considering a V6 5spder but decided to stick with a E36 or E30.

Titleist, I've been an a newer (not the newest ones) Volvo VP70, and they're pretty nice inside...heh. A 6spd and I'll drive it all day...:P

Here's my new ride. Basically I bought the BMW off my dad 6 years ago, it's gotten a bit tweaky in the 6 I've had it (put about 50,000 miles on it, 2 trips across america, winters, etc) so I sold him back the BMW, and took over the lease on his Volvo.

dsc000017gd.jpg

dsc000020zd.jpg

dsc000037lp.jpg

*beep*, I just realized I forgot to blur out the license plates on the two other photos, D'oh!

Edited by Titleist

Titleist: Thank you, that really helps us. What's your average city MPG?

Xufima: I love that Mustang! Good memories of my '94.

Vicks: Don't worry bro, to me, anything that can roll uphill is good enough. My first car was an early 80s model Datsun. It got me from point A to point B, and for that I loved it. I remember losing rusted out parts from the undercarriage on the freeway that apparently weren't that vital, considering it always kept working. Until that beach fiasco...

May I ask how much money your family have on their bank account?

Moriquende: Sorry, I don't think it would be wise for me to divulge that kind of information, but I will say this: we both work very, very, very hard to earn what we have. Believe it or not, the GT was actually a gift by someone who saw those efforts.

Hard work is never obsolete, and is always far more worth its weight in gold or any toy.

-Z

Edited by KyberAuZ

Yeah mine suffers from the same service board ######, is yours always saying "Service Soon" or something to that effect all the time?

Yep it's a 5 speed manual. It needs new shocks and struts, once it's got that it'll drive like a dream. It's even got the Dinan performance chip, which was NOT cheap back in the day. Tightens up the timing and really adds oomph to the car.

Yeah mine suffers from the same service board ######, is yours always saying "Service Soon" or something to that effect all the time?

Yep it's a 5 speed manual. It needs new shocks and struts, once it's got that it'll drive like a dream. It's even got the Dinan performance chip, which was NOT cheap back in the day. Tightens up the timing and really adds oomph to the car.

The OILSERVICE and INSPECTION light goof around.

Actually my major problem isn't those, except the the tach and the coolant gauges have minds of their own. All the time, essentially. Does yours have the Lithium batteries or the impossible-to-find dual AA nicaders?

I'm thinking about checking it out. How much do ya want for it? My eta is hungry for a restorer, not a daily driver. 149216 miles on the clock. I've been itching for a 2dr 325i with Motronic 1.1, not the 1.0 with the sensors on the flywheel :rolleyes: 210k on yours doesn't really bother me, I've read about Andrew Everett's guide on E30s with a 318i with 280k miles on the motor and you could still see the honing marks.

Let me know. Interested. Power windows? AC? edit: 13 button OBC?

Edited by The Gopher

Let me put some thought in to it, Gopher. It's the non-13 button OBC, power windows. It does have AC, but it needs a new pump i believe, hence thank god for power windows when it's hot.

Yeah mine has the INSPECTION lights that have been on for a year now. It just had it's motronic control unit replaced, the original finally conked out and caused the car to stall out and lose power occasionally. All is good now. Again I'll shop the idea around to my dad, I know we're planning on selling it soon, so I'll be sure to keep you in the loop. Again it's a great car, it's just reached the point in its life where I can't devote as much time to upkeep. I'll say this, I've never had more fun driving a car than with this 325. It just friggin FLYS!

If you want PM/IM me and we chat further.

No thanks, If I wanted to die in a metal coffin I'd let you know.

LOL!!!

I've been in a Miata when I worked at Jiffy Lube (rather, Ghetto Lube)

Those things are so small inside that my 5'11 frame doesn't fit comfortably. If you for some reason get the killing urge to buy one of them, I'd get a BMW Z series instead, they have just as much room upfront as my brother's E36 325is.

My suspension&alignment teacher (Leeds at Hancock's, Santa Maria) said when little imports like Miatas and Civic CRXs marry 18 wheeler semis the biggest parts you find are the engine and tranny, if anything, the rest is so mangled and inconcievable you couldn't tell what car it came from...

Also, he mentioned that the front A-frame tends to collaspe on to the driver's head when flipped. (It's only sheet metal)

Think about that: You can actually choose your coffin before you reach the point of no return!

My suspension&alignment teacher (Leeds at Hancock's, Santa Maria) said when little imports like Miatas and Civic CRXs marry 18 wheeler semis the biggest parts you find are the engine and tranny, if anything, the rest is so mangled and inconcievable you couldn't tell what car it came from...

Also, he mentioned that the front A-frame tends to collaspe on to the driver's head when flipped. (It's only sheet metal) 

Think about that: You can actually choose your coffin before you reach the point of no return!

Why would I end die at the front end of a truck when I have a little agile Miata that responds to every twitch in my hands?

And even the older miatas are fairly safe in the event of a crash as their front end is very hard. Both pros and cons about that.

The cons being the hard de-acceleration, which could result in interal injuries.

The pros being the fact that you wont have the engine in the dashboard(unless you hit a tree of course).

It is also very hard to roll a miata on the road due to the very good suspension system and weight distribution.

Hope any of that made sense, as I'm a bit tired :sleep_1:

Edited by Moriquende

My main drive:

busav.jpg

1989 Dennis Dart with East Lancs County bodywork, and what I believe is a 6 litre straight-6 turbo engine. She is now fleet numbered '8' so her name is 8-Ball :) and she is a lovely drive. Apart from the engine cuts out when its hot and you stop downhill (silly fuel filter above the engine).

My own personal main ride:

FZR1000R.jpg

1989 Yamaha FZR1000R-W ExUP. Ok, 'Fizzbomb' doesnt quite look like that right now thanks to a prat who decided to remodel her with his Suzuki Vitara...but shes still running and running great. Cant argue with 125mph in 3rd.

roxy.jpg

Apologies for my ugly mush...try and concentrate on 'Roxy', my purdy liddle 1985 Yamaha RXS100. May not look much, but shes great fun round town and on B-roads. And she takes me to Sheffield and back no fuss (110 mile round trip).

Picture110.jpg

Personal fave...and my name should say why...'Armi' - the 1979 Moto Guzzi V50 Mk2. As reliable as any other Italian bike ( :( ) but just as great handling. I want her fixed...now!

The_Gopher, I had some trouble with my E30's INSPECTION light as well. I replaced the batteries in the dash with new Sanyo 1600mAh AA NiMhs and the problem was gone.

There's also a guide somewhere on how to reset the service indicator, but I forget where. Basically you find the correct pins on the service plug under the hood and connect them, to make the car think it has been serviced.

Yeah the common problem however is that the service board fails completely and it can never be reset, that's the situation with mine. Most E30 owners usually just cut the leads to the LEDs that illuminate the INSPECTION or OIL Service text. The colored light indicators are generally regarded is useless even by mechanics.

The E30 is a great car though, it's right at that point where it's soon to be a classic, but it's also at that point where BMW still made their cars mostly mechanical in nature, rather than the rolling computers they are now. I.e you can service most of the car yourself, whereas the newer cars you need a degree to work on, and/or their electrical systems were the route of most their problems.

I almost bought a 1990 E30 320i convertible, the thing was in good condition with only 30k miles (with full service history) for 4k USD, full option ofcoarse. Damn I regret not buying it...

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

Lone Wolf,

If it had the classic electro-hydralic roof you'd been in luck, as those things are reputed to not last very long. Some owners have even gotten ahold of the assembly steps in attempt to fix them but fortune there.

Would have been a good buy if you could get a hard top for it or the thing actually worked well. Only real problem with the M20 engine is the dreaded head cracks between the rockers and the coolant passage.

As far as the inspection lights go, on the older ones with 3 red lights and no Check Engine light it's a simple matter of connecting pin 1 (ground) with 7 on the 15-pin diagnostic connector. 7 seconds usually resets the oil lights and 20 seconds the inspection light. With the newer standardized 20 pin connectors it's a bit more involved, however. I personally recommend that they be reset when the come on to test if the board is about the bite the dust or the batteries are on their last legs. When the board does go like on mine with 2AA nicaders you will have good time finding a replacement, because they're usually dead or nearly dead from the breakers.

New ones are anywhere from 160$ to 240$, about 80£ up. I've taken my cluster apart to service the bugger maybe 18 times or so...call me a pro if you wish, I could probably do it my sleep.

Titleist: PM inbound.