British M58 web and uniform history

Hey guys Im trying to find out the history of British web gear and uniforms. I need to know what web gear and uniforms troops where wairing forn mid 1970's to early 90's. Im Building a load out to match my 1975 land rover. Main questions years of 1958 web gear? desert uniforms from 1970 to early 90's? when did they start wearing dpm desert? Thanks guys

Derek

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys Im trying to find out the history of British web gear and uniforms. I need to know what web gear and uniforms troops where wairing forn mid 1970's to early 90's. Im Building a load out to match my 1975 land rover. Main questions years of 1958 web gear? desert uniforms from 1970 to early 90's? when did they start wearing dpm desert? Thanks guys

Derek

link in my sig to CWW we can help you out.

but desert DPM didnt coming in till the 1980s.

where did you landy serve? i have 2 myself 1977 S3 FFR ex special forces and a 1964 S2a GS

Its a 1975 Lightweight. No idea on the history but im trying to make a dessert recce rover no easy task here in the US thanks for the link

so you are doing a para recce in desert setup if thats the case go 1980-1994 it will be better as thats when para recces came in

List of what I have and need

I have about 50 feet of British desert net and net supports for sling over rover

dpm desert fabric for redoing the the front seat they were torn so it was cheaper to redo them in dpm desert then buy new leather seats.

I have a couple of sets of DPM desert and 1 set of M58 web gear

I can get more web gear for cheap just dont know if its the right period for mid 80's

I have a air sharp M2 .50cal for the rear

I am going to mount a m249 to the front passenger side.

I have a couple PRC 77 to add to it.

I am working on gun mount for the m249.

and need to figure out what packs to put on it I have one dpm small pack cover and a large pack cover for front spare tire

any help would be great

List of what I have and need

I have about 50 feet of British desert net and net supports for sling over rover

dpm desert fabric for redoing the the front seat they were torn so it was cheaper to redo them in dpm desert then buy new leather seats.

I have a couple of sets of DPM desert and 1 set of M58 web gear

I can get more web gear for cheap just dont know if its the right period for mid 80's

I have a air sharp M2 .50cal for the rear

I am going to mount a m249 to the front passenger side.

I have a couple PRC 77 to add to it.

I am working on gun mount for the m249.

and need to figure out what packs to put on it I have one dpm small pack cover and a large pack cover for front spare tire

any help would be great

if you are going for accurate i will get back to you with a list later

As best I can but parts and british gear are very rare in the US. Im looking forward to seeing what I can find to add to the rover when Im at the war and peace show this summer. Its my first time to the show and I can not wait.

i will be there with my FFR if you see us or what ever make yourself known its my 11th year at that show

My 1977 S3 109 FFR ex-special forces:

Started life when i got her like this:

20-07-06_2052.jpg

a year later shes like this:

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

a few pics from the operation typhoon game at cerberus (yes i use my landys for airsoft

31-08-08_0727.jpg

31-08-08_0726.jpg

a few war and peace pics from a few shows

IMG_0255.jpg

ST2_5938.jpg

ST2_4768.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

if you need help and i will get you an accurate list for the stuff then feel free to ask

right *dons the geek hat of ultimate boredom for others*

para recce lightweights the landys that the paras tried to break but just couldnt lol

I have about 50 feet of British desert net and net supports for sling over rover - good you'll need this.

dpm desert fabric for redoing the the front seat they were torn so it was cheaper to redo them in dpm desert then buy new leather seats. - black duct tape is a cheaper and easier fix plus its hardwearing and matches proper landy "elephant skin" seat covers, i did this to mine and i have another 5 seats to do the same.

I have a couple of sets of DPM desert and 1 set of M58 web gear - if you are going GW1 which i would suggest as been the best route the 58 pattern webbing is fine the desert dpm webbing see if you can sell it for some OD PLCE or get some more 58 pattern

I can get more web gear for cheap just dont know if its the right period for mid 80's - ignore the 80s for the moment but we were using 58 pattern right up till 1993 i think (or was it end of 91 anyway)

I have a air sharp M2 .50cal for the rear - it would be a GPMG but then again it might have been a .50 but the motion of the recoil on it would have made the weapon inaccurate.

I am going to mount a m249 to the front passenger side. - yet again it would have been a gimpy

I have a couple PRC 77 to add to it - PCR 352 clansmans would have been used you can get em but importing to the US would be pricey

some pics of para recce lightweights for referance also some pics of a rear gimpy mount tht can be modded i guess to fit a .50

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

5777_1.jpg

4311_1.jpg

51a5_1.jpg

this is my friends para recce:

cam18706012.jpg

cam18706006.jpg

cam18706009.jpg

cam18706001.jpg

hope that helps

you are the man

I the fabric for the seats is DPM desert gortex so I think it should hold up well. I would love to buy a airsoft GPMG its on the list but may have to make do with the 60 or m249 for a while. So DPM desert and m58 web gear would be good for late 80's early 90's load out. Would these packs be ok to use http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=514986 Also Would it be ok to put sand tracks on the side or would it be better to just leave open? I have 2 fuel jerry can mounted to rear on each side of the tail gate. I also have the pioneer tools mounted on tialgate. I also plan on haveing 2 water jerry cans, also of 50cal and 223 ammo cans in there. I also have the netting support kit that will be in the bed amd a 10' by 15' section of net to cover the rover with. Im going to put the rest of the netting on the rover. Im going with a roll bar and 3point saftey racing belts as I rolled one Lightweight already and nearly killed my wife and I, was not my fault *wheelbarrow* pulled out from intersection without looking and we had to avoid him and rolled. But the little rover's windshield and seat belts held up and saved out lives. We more or less went end over end then rolled this is the link to see how tuff they are and what can happen if you dont have a roll bar. http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/s...22/car%20crash/ I would love to get clansman stuff but its just way to hard to get over so im going with american PRC77 I had made up that use my airsoft UHF radios. Your help has been great! I plan on buying another rover in a year or two and my friend wants my rover. I want to get a 109 recce in woodland next time. Tell your friend his rover is incredible! I also really like your 109. Im trying to get one for my wife to use during the winter and for our airsoft field. Thanks for all the help

Derek

My wife is from the UK she just asked were your from. Maybe we can meet at the War and Peace show for a pint. Thanks for all the help One other question when did the para switch to the l85?

i am from yorkshire, well south yorkshire and yeah i will be around the war and peace show if you have msn etc drop me a pm with your details and we can meet up and have a pint (christ knows i will need one lol) and the L85 came in 86/87 i think but i am not 100% and i am not in the mood to go looking lol

The l85 came in to some units about 1987.

You're unfortunately looking at a very naff period for the British Army (1975 - 1991) with a lot of transitional phases between kit.

58 pattern (its not called m58) webbing was being phased out in favour of PLCE, the sa80/l85 was replacing the SLR and even helmets were changing in some units that still had the old MKV. To make matters worse during this time we sold most of our desert kit over seas (thinking we didnt really need it) . In fact we sold a *lot* of uniform to Iraq and so had to rush out a dessie uniform in 1991.

I personally would steer well clear of covering the seats in dessie DPM, goretex or not, it will look bloody awful and not like a military vehicle, as said earlier use black and nasty (duct tape) for an authentic look.

Goretex dessie fabric is completely inappropriate for what you're wanting to do... put it this way goretex in DPM was rare enough until about 1995/96 and desert goretex kit was practically unheard of...

If you want authentic kit for the 1970s in a desert role then you're probably looking at WWII era Khaki Drill kit.

i wounldnt say it was a naff period it was just full of changes i know of units in 91 still having the SLR, 58 pattern, 44 pattern and even some 40 and 37 pattern but even into the 60s blackened 37pattern was used in cyprus along with airtex/khaki desert lightweight gear.

i am putting togeather a set of black 37

I will try to do as much as I can within my financial means. I ordered 3 sets of m58 webbing and packs. I also just ordered 2 nato water jerry cans. Now im working on the guns. Im trying to figure out what to use as personal weapons. Could the special force route work as then I could use my older style XM's and M16. Or I could mix it up with my fal full stock and and the AR's or my G3. Or i can get 3 of the cheaper l85's to throw in her. Right now looks like there will have to be a 60 or saw up front till funds allow GPMG and the M2 is ready for the rear.

well if there is no others in the states wouldnt it be best to get it right? i mean you are coming over to the UK for the war and peace so why not get some kit here and get it shipped out to you

Agreed, if you're going to put all that effort in why not do a proper pukka job?

When i say naff, i really meant its not very defined. if you want something iconic then go for the whole cold war 87 BAOR Germany look with stirlings, GPMG FAL, MKV helmets and 58 *pattern* (:)) webbing.

As for para recce circa GW1... I didnt think the parachute regiment were deployed in the first gulf war. My regiment (STAFFORDS) were, perhaps better to do a GWI recce landy from a unit that were there?

I could be totally wrong there but I thought between the Falklands and Kosova their main deployment was Northern Ireland?

Archived