Stan...the racing spirit :)

Nicoli

Old boy racer

a27main_742985a.jpg

GREAT grandad Stanley Murphy took a wrong turn in his mobility scooter — and ended up on a 70mph carriageway.

The confused 90-year-old chugged along at 8mph as cars and lorries thundered by.

SNN2823GG-380_743345a.jpg

One astonished driver pulled over to the hard shoulder to help — and pensioner Stanley tried to OVERTAKE his flatbed truck.

Paving company boss James Dunne, 46, said: “The old chap looked pretty confused and scared and looked like he wasn’t going to stop. He started trying to overtake me but I got him to pull in.

“The police arrived a few minutes later.”

Stanley found himself on the A27 Shoreham bypass, West Sussex, after popping out to buy a paper.

James, from Worthing, put the scooter on his truck while PC Jim Lockwood drove Stanley home to nearby Shoreham-by-Sea, where he lives with daughter, Karen Edie.

The old boy said: “I took a wrong turning.

“I don’t know how I ended up on the A27. But I’m thankful to everyone who helped me.”

Sussex Police said: “This gentleman was obviously confused — it is unlikely we would take any action.”

Gotta love him :)

Sussex Police are miserable bastards, aren't they?

It would have been polite to publicly thank the one bloke who actually bothered to stop for the guy. And then taking the guy's scooter home for him.

Ben.

EDIT:: Also what annoys me are the old people who insist on driving these things on the road. Loads of 'em where I live (About 2 minutes from where the above pictures were taken!).

Ben.

Legally they're not allowed on the pavement anyway. The next time I get knocked over outside a shop by some tart in one of those mobility scooters which the council gave her because she's eaten so many f**king pies that she can't walk to the local Tesco anymore, I will set them on fire.

I don't care if you're too disgustingly fat to use your legs, but I still want to use mine, so stop trying to break them with your f**king scooter and drive a little more carefully.

/rant

They have them in Marks and Spencer for use for people with mobility issue's. I mean how long till some kid runs and gets slightly damaged by one of these things (I'm hoping it will only be lsight damage or no damage at all). If you a wheel chair bound and have an electric chair am all for that, but people who say they have a mobility issue and in the end its just because they are lazy, well thats not on.

Also if you generally have a mobility issue (Loss of breath very easily due to operation or another valid reason) then yes I think they are a good idea. Just so no one thinks am having a go at people with legitimit reasons.

Edit:- Tried in vain it would seem to correct my spelling mistakes, suppose its hard to prove you have a genuine reason (Just like people with genuine mobility issue's).

Heres something worthy of note:-

The Highway Code states that mobility scooters should not be driven on pavements at more than 4mph or on roads in excess of 8mph.

So they are allowed on the pavement but have a speed limit, makes me wonder why they are allowed on the road. Just restrict them for use on the pavement at 4 mph or even 3 mph, pretty sure even at 3mph they would be traveling faster than they would if walking.

Legally they're not allowed on the pavement anyway.

I don't think thats quite the case, it's not really clear whether they are or not. They're not mentioned specifically in the Road Traffic Act 1988. The only reason I can see that people would draw this conclusion is the Highways Act 1835. Which states in s.72:

"If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, *albatross*, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, *albatross*, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [F3 level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby."

In theory if they're on the road, they should be insured, taxed and have other precautions. But there isn't any specific legislation I can find relating to this.

Actually, seems I've found something. The Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 s.20 states that:

"20 Use of invalid carriages on highways

(1)In the case of a vehicle which is an invalid carriage complying with the prescribed requirements and which is being used in accordance with the prescribed conditions—

(a)no statutory provision prohibiting or restricting the use of footways shall prohibit or restrict the use of that vehicle on a footway;

(b)if the vehicle is mechanically propelled, it shall be treated for the purposes of the [F1Road Traffic Regulation Act [F21984] and [F3the Road Traffic Act 1988 [F4, except section 22A of that Act (causing danger to road users by interfering with motor vehicles etc),] and the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988]] as not being a motor vehicle; [F5and sections 1 to 4, [F621,34,] 163, 170 and 181 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 shall not apply to it] and

©whether or not the vehicle is mechanically propelled, it shall be exempted from the requirements of [F7section 83 of the Road Traffic Act 1988]

(2)In this section—

“footway” means a way which is a footway, footpath or bridleway within the meaning of [F8the Highways Act 1980]; and in its application to Scotland means a way over which the public has a right of passage on foot only or a bridleway within the meaning of section 47 of the M1Countryside (Scotland) Act 1967;

“invalid carriage” means a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of one person, being a person suffering from some physical defect or disability;"

So that might clear things up a bit from a legal perspective regarding their use on footpaths.

J

• 5 weeks later...

Noticed this today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7981904.stm

An 87-year-old Cornish woman was rescued by police five miles from home when her mobility scooter sped off out of control.

Eileen Bishop, from Perranporth, and her husband Anthony were on their way to church when, he said, she "disappeared off the radar".

Officers later found her heading along the A3075 towards Newquay.

_45632881_scooterstill226.jpg

I don't care if you're too disgustingly fat to use your legs, but I still want to use mine, so stop trying to break them with your f**king scooter and drive a little more carefully.

Do you no think that these people may be disabled and not able to exercise to the extent that they could work off the fat that is building up?

Don't these coffindodgermobiles normally have some sort of kill switch on them? I keep thinking of the little cords you get on treadmills/jetskis so that when you fall off, you rip away a little magnetic tab which stops the machine dead.

..next time I get knocked over outside a shop by some tart in one of those mobility scooters which the council gave her because she's eaten so many f**king pies that she can't walk to the local Tesco anymore, I will set them on fire..

Aye, ###### me off a treat when I see people that could easily loose weight by walking not bothering and riding those damned things.

Legally they're not allowed on the pavement anyway. The next time I get knocked over outside a shop by some tart in one of those mobility scooters which the council gave her because she's eaten so many f**king pies that she can't walk to the local Tesco anymore, I will set them on fire

here here! not just the morbidly obese people, anyone on a mobility scooter who shows no consideration for pedestrians. the number of times i've been walking down the road (in a straight line, to the left hand side of the pavement) and nearly been run down by a mobility scooter (the other week someone clipped their mirror on my elbow) only to be told to watch where I am going is unbelievable!

Archived