Ever wanted to be a multi-Trillionaire?

GuzziHero

No, that's american nomenclature.

It is slowly taking over the world because it makes you sound more rich than you actually are.

A million is a thousand thousand, we all agree but a thousand million is just that, a thousand million. You only really need a new word to avoid saying a million million which is a bit stupid. Thus you get a billion, likewise you can say a million billion so a billion billion is where you need the word "trillion".

americans say billion where we would say "a thousand million" and say trillion where we would say a billion.

But since they are all over the news being wrong all the time eventually so many people think it is right that the people who are actually right give up.

That is how languages evolve, the few educated people are crushed into insignificance by a vast human wave of idiots, you know, the ones who call their child shontell because they have never seen chantelle written down and think France is full of commies anyway.

It is slowly taking over the world because it makes you sound more rich than you actually are.

A million is a thousand thousand, we all agree but a thousand million is just that, a thousand million. You only really need a new word to avoid saying a million million which is a bit stupid. Thus you get a billion, likewise you can say a million billion so a billion billion is where you need the word "trillion".

americans say billion where we would say "a thousand million" and say trillion where we would say a billion.

But since they are all over the news being wrong all the time eventually so many people think it is right that the people who are actually right give up.

That is how languages evolve, the few educated people are crushed into insignificance by a vast human wave of idiots, you know, the ones who call their child shontell because they have never seen chantelle written down and think France is full of commies anyway.

Ahhh ok I get that, that makes sense. Unfortunately, I have no control over the (many) stupid Americans, and all I can say is "that's a shame". I'll be sure to say "a thousand million" instead of billion when I'm in England this summer lol.

Though: LOL at that last line.

:D

Actually...the bill is worthless. Zimbabwe recently revalued its currency, which is a euphamism for "Knock all those zeroes off and pretend that everything is all right".

But with prices doubling every 25 hours, and accellerating, it won't be long until everyone over there becomes a billionaire again.

This and other replies regarding it led me to do a little research...

Actually it turns out that in that system a million billion is a trillion. Its not done by words but rather done by millions. whereas the other system is done by thousands.

short scale: Million is thousand × (thousand)1 = 10e6; Billion is thousand × (thousand)2 = 10e9; Trillion is thousand × (thousand)3 = 10e12; etc.

long scale: Million is (million)1 = 10e6; Billion is (million)2 = 10e12; Trillion is (million)3 = 10e18; etc.

And officially basically all of the English speaking world uses the short scale system - including Britain.

Personally I prefer the long scale - a thousand million is an easier number to comprehend than billion. This world has 6 thousand million people in it.

My rather attractive Ten Trillion Dollars arrived today. All those zeroes nearly gave me a nosebleed.

It has an attractive gold leaf effect ID strip, indented cow and corn logos and is generally a nice collectible of a failed state. There is also a gold leaf shape on the front but I have no idea what it is :D

The image of 3 stacked stones is from, I believe, the Matobo National Park. On the reverse side is a tower at the 'Great Zimbabwe' ruins near Masvingo.

Almost ironically, from the nation with perhaps the most arrogant president in history, there is no sign of Mugabe on there.

This and other replies regarding it led me to do a little research...

Actually it turns out that in that system a million billion is a trillion. Its not done by words but rather done by millions. whereas the other system is done by thousands.

short scale: Million is thousand × (thousand)1 = 10e6; Billion is thousand × (thousand)2 = 10e9; Trillion is thousand × (thousand)3 = 10e12; etc.

long scale: Million is (million)1 = 10e6; Billion is (million)2 = 10e12; Trillion is (million)3 = 10e18; etc.

And officially basically all of the English speaking world uses the short scale system - including Britain.

Personally I prefer the long scale - a thousand million is an easier number to comprehend than billion. This world has 6 thousand million people in it.

Huh.

Well I think that is the only time something Steven Fry has said has been incorrect. I need to check my axioms.

Almost ironically, from the nation with perhaps the most arrogant president in history, there is no sign of Mugabe on there.

Yeah he's only on the high denomination notes [/sarcasm]

Archived