Night Vision Devices

I don't think this one has been done yet, and I know plenty of chaps in the UK and US have NVDs sooooo...

Post em up!

And if you care to share some pictures taken through your NVD than all the better ^_^

I'll start it off...

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

(Note : The MP7 is just a place holder, this little NV scope will be going on an AKS-74UN as soon as I get ahold of the proper AK mount for it)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an old setup from almost 5 years ago.......USNV Mini14 (aka MUM) Gen3 mounted behind an Aimpoint M2. Laughing at the camo tape which hasn't been on the rifle in years.

14P1000701.JPG

That setup has been long gone, which is sad, because the optic clarity was immaculate with a perfect no-blemish tube.

It has since been replaced by a PVS14 Gen3.

My night rifle also has a G&P PEQ2 that has IR laser instead of the regular red (or green) version.

This picture is actually dated also, as it was just taken to show it mounted:

GnP_IR.JPG

Time to take some updated pics. I actually switched to helmet-mounted on a real MICH, as that is a much usable setup than weapon-mounted when mobile.

Edited by AustinWolv
EXCELLENT idea for a thread Jin15!!

I have a pic request for someone with a Gen.3 device (PVS-7/14) using a G&P or other "non-real" AN-PEQ or IR laser.

I'm curious to see if they compare to the real ones. :)

I don't have a real PEQ2, but I do have the Corsak, which is a fairly powerful real-steel IR laser.....5mW if I recall correctly? It is adjustable.

The G&P PEQ2 with IR laser is set at the same power as the high end of the Corsak. The IR illuminator is actually too bright for close range.

I'll try to get pics comparing the two.

Im sure the guys posting in here would know, but are Night vision set ups more or less then thermal infra red? Im assuming less as I have never seen anyone use the thermal stuff.

Edit: just found a few links on google and thermal does seem to be a whole lot more :o

Think of the stuff posted here as Image enhancement - This works by collecting the tiny amounts of light, including the lower portion of the infrared light spectrum, that are present but may be imperceptible to our eyes, and amplifying it to the point that we can easily observe the image.

Thermal imaging - This technology operates by capturing the upper portion of the infrared light spectrum, which is emitted as heat by objects instead of simply reflected as light. Hotter objects, such as warm bodies, emit more of this light than cooler objects like trees or buildings.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadge...nightvision.htm

Time to take some updated pics. I actually switched to helmet-mounted on a real MICH, as that is a much usable setup than weapon-mounted when mobile.

Good looking setup AW. Funny about weapon mounted NVGs... when I was thinking about getting a PVS-14 and weapon mounting it, a fellow forum member said something to me that just really stuck in my head...

As for PVSs, first off, *fruitcage* weapon mounting. Chumps weapon mount.

:lol: LOL... after that I looked into different helmet mounts and settled on a Wilcox G10 which I'm picking up next weekend along with my PVS-14. Just need to figure out a decent laser setup.

Think of the stuff posted here as Image enhancement - This works by collecting the tiny amounts of light, including the lower portion of the infrared light spectrum, that are present but may be imperceptible to our eyes, and amplifying it to the point that we can easily observe the image.

Thermal imaging - This technology operates by capturing the upper portion of the infrared light spectrum, which is emitted as heat by objects instead of simply reflected as light. Hotter objects, such as warm bodies, emit more of this light than cooler objects like trees or buildings.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadge...nightvision.htm

Cheers, I get how they work I was just wondering if one is generally known to be alot more expensive than the other as I have never seen or even heared of anyone using thermal for airsoft.

Cheers, I get how they work I was just wondering if one is generally known to be alot more expensive than the other as I have never seen or even heared of anyone using thermal for airsoft.

Thermal is generally 4 to 5+ times more expensive than Gen 3/3+ InfraRed. Depth perception also seems more difficult using Thermals as the produced image seems more flat.

For sure, you can look at animals at night, sneak through your house, make sure your TV remote is running, and so on. Any excuse will do.

For thermal vs. intensification. Yes thermal is a dump truck full of cash vs. these. Also most if not all military thermal I've seen have been on crew served weapons, vehicles or helos. They're a bit bigger than what you can stuff into one of these bodies.

I'll have to take some snaps of my "designator" for this, It's a P90 with a tracer unit and a Yukon monocular.

PVS7B's

crap175.jpg

And while I have no pics of IR lasers in use. Here are some for the Hurricane Vital2 replica I had for a while. The first pic is at high power at the range of about 50 yards. The second pic is at the lowest power setting at the same distance.

lasernvg01.jpg

lasernvg02.jpg

I honestly feel that while cool as hell an Ir laser has no place on an airsoft field. You stand the chance to do some extensive damage to someones eyesight and they have no idea why or how. A visible laser serves the same purpose, however not as stealthy. I found that by finding a target and then using my laser to track on target I still had surprise on my side. Especialy when someone figures out they are being targeted by someon who can see them. Instead of returning fire or trying to draw a bead on someone they generaly treid to become as small as possible. The visible laser is also a great referance point for battle buddies who do not have NVG's.

Good looking setup AW. Funny about weapon mounted NVGs... when I was thinking about getting a PVS-14 and weapon mounting it, a fellow forum member said something to me that just really stuck in my head...

As for PVSs, first off, *fruitcage* weapon mounting. Chumps weapon mount.

LOL... after that I looked into different helmet mounts and settled on a Wilcox G10 which I'm picking up next weekend along with my PVS-14. Just need to figure out a decent laser setup.

Indeed. Going prone with helmet-mounted can go off and die though.....so for a static situation like that, weapon-mounted is nice.

As for lasers, what are you trying to figure out?

Getting a suitable weapon mounted laser. Which one to get.

Hm, sorry, at various points I've used:

-Corsak IR (rugged, kind of a pain to sight in unless you get the dial adjustment kit, but solid once you do)

-a cheapo Beamshot visible red (blah, used it to momentary flash targets for teammates)

-TM tracer units (they are just too much fun)

-G&P PEQ2 IR (very nice build and sturdy)