Night Vision Devices

Very true, I would agree on that. Especially since if anything happens, its not like your gonna have enough time to wip your PVS's out and put either one on and be able to have a total night surprise on the intruder. I'd definately go with a red filter. Maybe IR for those night shoots, but red as your primary color for home defense.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Norotos 1-point mount + USGI arm + ITT PVS-7 Gen3

Wilcox Gen II mount + Wilcox arm + ITT PVS-14A Gen3

Insight AN/PSQ-18A M203 sight

Mantis 150XXLR Gen3 night vision sight with 100mW IR laser

Mantis 140XLR Gen3 night vision sight with 50mW IR laser

2 x Aimpoint Comp M2

Aimpoint Comp M4

G&P AN/PEQ2A replica with IR laser (Titleist, let me steal one of yours!!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

know that this topic hasn't had a post in about 2-3 weeks or so, but i had a question concerning mounting on a helmet. Do the new Rhino mounts need to use a mount base like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-Weight-ACH-PASGT...1QQcmdZViewItem

or is the new Rhino mount able to jsut be "screwed" right onto the helmet w/o that type of base mount?

yeah, i was looking on ebay for the shrouds (as they are called now by looking), but could only find clones that seemed kinda cheap. even though i dont own NV just yet, i wouldn't want to mount a 800+ NV optic on a 20 shroud plus rhino mount (rhino mount am fine with, it would be the cheap shroud id have concerns about)

yeah, i was looking on ebay for the shrouds (as they are called now by looking), but could only find clones that seemed kinda cheap. even though i dont own NV just yet, i wouldn't want to mount a 800+ NV optic on a 20 shroud plus rhino mount (rhino mount am fine with, it would be the cheap shroud id have concerns about)

I understand that side of the argument if your going for a replica look. But if you are going to make the investment in a nice Night Vision device, it is worth the extra money for the real deal mounts and swing arms.

You don't wan't your expensive investment to fall off your helmet and break because you have a $20 shroud to mount it on. Or even worse, fall off and get lost while playing. :unsure:

i think eye damage from lasers would be the last thing people would worry about if someone broke into his place... more like 5.56 damage :D

nice work, titelist

wish we had the options you guys had :)

Well, and maybe someone can expand on this, but my worry is that the IR would reflect back into my eye and cause damage like off a mirror in the interior of your home. The eye unlike a normal visible laser will not even blink I am told and that would be bad I would think. Not sure how much damage would be done to the eye with a limited exposure for a second or so though...something to think about though if you're running around the inside of your home with a powerful laser.

Edited by MinisterofDeath
Well, and maybe someone can expand on this, but my worry is that the IR would reflect back into my eye and cause damage like off a mirror in the interior of your home. The eye unlike a normal visible laser will not even blink I am told and that would be bad I would think. Not sure how much damage would be done to the eye with a limited exposure for a second or so though...something to think about though if you're running around the inside of your home with a powerful laser.

Well lets assume I've got the laser on 50mW mode. Why would I be running around the house without NVGs? or even indoors anywhere with a laser that powerful.

The high power modes are built for illumination at great distances and for lazing targets for calling fire on. Remember the PEQ is less for the individual shooter and more for calling attention to targets for OTHER shoots; infantry, gunships, tanks, etc.

The mil-grade IR lasers are in fact dangerously powerful, but they won't blind you in a split second. You'd have to sit there for minutes staring at it. I've accidentally had the HI power mode bounce off a mirror and hit me in the eyes for a second or so before I realized what was happening. The effect is much like staring into a bright flashlight, i.e a purple spot you can only see if you close your eyes. It rapidly goes away. But there's TONS of misinformation that PEQs can light things on fire. As a demonstration of this I put a piece of paper in front of a PEQ on HI for 30 minutes. The result? Not even any warmth.

What I'm getting at is that they're dangerous, but they require an EXTREME bit of idiocy to really hurt yourself. One of the things I dislike is that the selector switch is hard to determine what mode it's on if you're keeping track. I've put a bit of paint (using a paint pen) to mark the default OFF mode.

i.e

Insight_PEQ_03.jpg

man hoppum, talk about Gen1 ;)

how is the image quality with those scopes?

I have always wanted to know how well the old cathode ray tube scopes preformed in comparison to modern digital ones

1PN34 through scope view:

1pn34view.JPG

Well lets assume I've got the laser on 50mW mode. Why would I be running around the house without NVGs? or even indoors anywhere with a laser that powerful.

The high power modes are built for illumination at great distances and for lazing targets for calling fire on. Remember the PEQ is less for the individual shooter and more for calling attention to targets for OTHER shoots; infantry, gunships, tanks, etc.

The mil-grade IR lasers are in fact dangerously powerful, but they won't blind you in a split second. You'd have to sit there for minutes staring at it. I've accidentally had the HI power mode bounce off a mirror and hit me in the eyes for a second or so before I realized what was happening. The effect is much like staring into a bright flashlight, i.e a purple spot you can only see if you close your eyes. It rapidly goes away. But there's TONS of misinformation that PEQs can light things on fire. As a demonstration of this I put a piece of paper in front of a PEQ on HI for 30 minutes. The result? Not even any warmth.

What I'm getting at is that they're dangerous, but they require an EXTREME bit of idiocy to really hurt yourself. One of the things I dislike is that the selector switch is hard to determine what mode it's on if you're keeping track. I've put a bit of paint (using a paint pen) to mark the default OFF mode.

Just say, "don't Lase me Bro"!