Night Vision Devices

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally!

After years of working with Gen. 1 I've got a D-300 on the way, should be here next week :D

Next step, EOTech 551 & PVS-14 weapon mount like so...

d300_EoTech.jpg

Where'd you source your D-300 from? Make sure to post pics of your setup when you get it :)

Got it on eBay in supposedly very lightly used and perfect working condition with a Pelican case included for, would you believe, $340 shipped :o

The guy didn't seem to know what it was, just listed it as "night vision monocular" but it was clearly a D-300 based on the pictures. There's no other NVD that looks exactly like the D-300. Who knows what condition the tube is in, but for that price I had to take the gamble on it. I got a shipping confirmation and tracking number on it today so it'll be here wednesday or thursday. Gonna have to wait until then to find out what condition the tube is really in, but I've got my fingers crossed :D

I think I might go for a slightly less expensive reflex sight than the EOTech though. While it would be a really slick setup I think I'm gonna cheap out and go with a NV compatible ADCO/Aimpoint style red dot from Sunclear Vector Optics for $90 shipped. It's a real steel quality optic that's NV compatible, and the price is about 1/4 of the cost of a NV compatible EOTech.

But yeah, I'll post some pictures and info on the setup once I get it together. And here's hoping that I got the deal of the century on that D-300 :lol:

Was it rather easy to do Carbine? How powerful is the IR laser?

FWIW, you really need to look at an IR laser through NVGs to see how bright they look.

I have a G&P IR laser (dunno what wattage that is but it's not gonna be seriously powerful, right?) and using that at night with NVGs looks a lot like that video of the 2 squaddies having a "lightsaber" fight with their PEQs.

Basically, pretty much any IR laser will project an incredibly bright dot and most also project a visible beam too. When viewed with NVGs.

*EDIT*

Carbine: Does that PEQ have working adjusters?

Personally, I've never been big of "fake" stuff so I've never bought a PEQ.

It'd be nice if there was a big list of all the available PEQ boxes that states which ones have working lasers inside and which ones have proper working adjusters and switches etc.

A mate of mine, for example, bought a PEQ that had a working laser built in but it turned out that the laser was adjusted via 2 holes drilled in the case and switched on and off via a simple switch bodged into the back of the housing.

Be nice to know which PEQs are best suited to conversion into proper laser/IR devices.

how do you aim through a scope or iron sight while looking through a pvs 14 or 7

You don't. When I run my PEQ-2As/15s I run my PVS on my non-dominant eye, so I can make cheekweld and still keep the PVS clear of the rifle. However you can't use iron sights because the depth of field from PVS's is so shallow that if you focused on the rear sight of your rifle or pistol the front sight is out of focus. Hence NVGs can either be mounted behind a optical system like a standard scope or CCO, or head mounted and used with a PEQ.

Also the PEQ's beam will only be visible depending on dust or smoke in the area. My PEQ-15 on high is 45mW, which is about 9x more powerful than the replica modified ones and even that one doesn't create too much of a visible beam. What you were seeing in that video on youtube was that the room was smokey and dusty. Almost any laser will give that effect combined with NV on a video camera.

A lot of it comes down to how collated the beam is, which is something that the diffuser caps serve as on the outside of the PEQ.

Edited by Titleist

The G&P PAQ has a brass tube inside with adjuster screws soldered onto it. The windage and elevation adjustment works just like the real thing, so it can be zeroed just fine. Same goes for their PEQ-2. The laser diode is placed inside the tube and wired to the switch and batteries.

The biggest problem was carefully opening the PAQ case which is glued together.

The IR diode I used is only 5mW, which is still rather eye safe and ranges way beyond the range of any airsoft guns. It's easily visible from 300m with a PVS-14. Since the diode is a cheap one from ebay, a very very faint dot can be seen in the dark with the naked eye where as a proper IR laser cannot be seen at all. The dot is small and the diode itself doesn't glow red like with visible lasers, so this works fine for airsoft.

LOL I can't blame you Onikage, I just got very lucky. The D-300 arrived in perfect working condition as advertised with only 2 very small spots on the tube around the edges (one at 7:00 and the other at 1:00), has a very good signal to noise ratio, and the best gain and resolution of anything I've ever had the chance to look through. Not a single scratch on the unit either and aside from the lack of a tube data sheet and manual the whole package seemed new.

It may not be a PVS-14 but it's absolutely glorious compared to any of the Gen 1 stuff I've had in the past. After playing around with this for a few days I don't think I could ever go back to Gen 1 again, and I now fully understand what all those people meant when they told me not to spend money on Gen 1 and save for Gen 2.

In short, at $340 shipped I think I got the deal of a lifetime on a D-300 Gen 2+ Mil-Spec :D

Edit : And Fiddlesticks, I don't think you're gonna be shooting this one out! You see I'm the kinda chump who would weapon mount his monocular, so that front lens will be sitting safe and protected behind an Aimpoint or EOTech.

I'm still keepin' my eye on you though! :lol:

Edited by Jin15
Edit : And Fiddlesticks, I don't think you're gonna be shooting this one out! You see I'm the kinda chump who would weapon mount his monocular, so that front lens will be sitting safe and protected behind an Aimpoint or EOTech.

Make sure you protect the rear lense then ;)

Just wanted to let you NV guys know that if anyone is interested I'm currently looking to trade my D-300 Mil-Spec (with a PVS-14 weapons mount included) for a dedicated Gen 2 rifle scope such as a D-440, D-740, or PVS-4/5. My WTT thread for this is HERE ^_^

Edited by Jin15
  • 1 month later...

It's OK with me, I enjoy a tricky shot. ;)

damn! all you lucky yanks get the good things. cuz of export rules, i'm stuck with a yukon gen 1 NVMT.

is there a legal way to get a pvs 14 or 7 in canada i after i move there next year. i want one real bad.

Edited by TeowneD
  • 5 weeks later...

nod1.jpg

nod2.jpg

Sightowl ANVS-MA9 Gen 2+ 46 lp/mm

TNVG Protec Alpha w/ ops core mount

USGI rhino arm/J arm

MS2000

IR US flag

ACM surefire helmet light mount (lost the light already)

Velcro'd MS2000 is a stop gap until I get my SOE helmet ballast pouch in.

nodrifle.jpg

Surefire G2 on viking tactics mount w/ G&P IR cover

HK IR laser

• 2 months later...

Okay, a member on a different forum has one of these for sale for $150 OBO. It is a used gen 1 monocular that comes with a 1x and 2x lens.

http://www.lomoplc.com/chameleon.htm

I know that gen 1 is no where as good as gen 2 or 3, but I am not willing to spend that much on something I will be using strictly for recreational use. I do know that gen 1 does have some passive ability, but needs an IR illumination to get the most use out of it, but then again it exposes my position to other airsofters with NODs.

That said, I thought of getting one of those eyeclops night vision toys and mod the hell out of it to make it look and function like a monocular. I know that it does not have any passive capability, but for airsoft, I can live with it. I was thinking of offering the seller $50 for the monocular, and assuming if he is willing to sell it for that price, which would have a better picture quality? The gen 1 monocular or the eyelcops toy?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?p...ELAID=372438239

well, I do have an idea how it would work *tried a sony camera with nightshot, it operates on the same camera CCD+ IR illuminator principle*, but how is the resolution? Field of depth? Distance? Lagging/ frame rate issues? Field of view? Did you use the V1 goggles or the V2 binoculars? Tell me more :)

I use a Gen 1 NVG with ESS low profile goggles and I find that to be less that ideal. You get a much better veiw with no goggles but you can't really play in the dark with no eye protection.

I do not thing there is any way you could make the eyeclops safe to be shot at. If somene puts a burst to the side of your head you won't even get a chance to blink.

Now if the project is just to create something to creep around the house in the dark with then I'd say for sure go for it.