Japan

WhutJP

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not sure i'd want to be remembered with a statue like that :huh:

whats actually going on? looks like he's running to join in with a mexican wave, unaware that there appears to be an empty burlap sack with what looks like a human arm falling out of it and a naked devil baby (note the horns) hanging on for dear life.

at least thats what it looks like to me.

Its actually two devil babies, and the cape on his back has the kanji for hell written on it.

He made that "hell tour" that the description goes on about, so called i think because of all the hot springs that abound near by.

oh and quick edit: really, read the description of him, its quite bizzare.

One of the stranger restaurant's we saw that had a separate menu for dogs:

P1010911.jpg

haha i would totally take my dog out to eat if i could, its funny i thought i was crazy for buying my dog fast food once in awhile,,,,well actually i might be

• 2 weeks later...
TBH I'm pretty discusted about the idea of pet restaurants.

TBH I'm pretty disgusted about the idea of women only carriages! why dont the ladies in japan want to sit with the men? gotta get myself over there (well perhaps HK first eh). shame the pound is so rubbish right now. whats the best fat young white man tourist destination, tokyo?

Well, the women only carriages are because the women got pretty disgusted with the constant molesting they were getting from the men. They weren't sitting next to them; in the super crowded trains people stand and they couldnt tell where the molesting came from, so they got a separate area.

and piccies:

pa00000.jpgpa00002.jpg

pa00003.jpgpa00007.jpg

I love it when the kids try to suck up to me in test answers:

pa00005.jpg

Only try to get this one if you have the sense of humour of a small boy and can understand some basic japanese.

pa00004.jpg

Very sorry if this offends people, but this is a pretty funny spelling mistake:

grl0006.jpg

epic spelling mistake is epic! pleeeease leave it mods!

better than someone in my old german class who accidentally implied that the small village they lived in was a prostitution hotspot. i believe they were trying to say that there is a surprising amount of traffic there.

Are you teaching at APU or were you just in Beppu for fun? I have fond memories of that place (met my ex there).

There are some lovely private onsens tucked away up in the hills, much nicer than the ones in the city, if you care to look for them. Ask at the station and they'll probably draw you a map or something.

I also recommend Jin Robata (on the main street) for a beer or more. Good place.

I'll throw some of my pics up when I get back to uni (they're all on there and I'll need to sort through them) but I have some awesome Engrish I spotted too when I was out there last year. The signs on the train and subway networks (like the smoking one you posted) are frequently absolutely hilarious.

Man, I want to go back so much. In two years I will, to do the Kyushu 88 Temples pilgrimmage and more, but in the meantime... :(

EDIT: Do they still do that awesome Fanta jelly in a can? If so, can you PLEASE send me some? I'm not even kidding here.

I was only in Beppu for a weekend, it was an awesome city. Did you go to the Hit Parade Club? (a fifties themed "american" bar) hilarious place.

I do really like japan a lot, for those of you wanting to come - it might take a bit of sorting out but its totally possible and worth the hassle. There are jobs a plenty thanks to japan's willingness to spend loads of money on english education and then stedfastly refuse to learn it :D

I teach at a junior high school (jet programme), in Shikokku (Kagawa prefecture), i.e. the backwoods of japan.

incedentally the 88 temple pilgrimage is on shikokku, not kyushu - kyushu is where beppu is.

Fanta jelly - in a can? I havent seen that, but then i havent looked. I am going to keep my eye out, ive seen plenty of jelly but its usually in those plastic packs. I think ill miss aquarius and pocari sweat when i leave.

Oh man, talk about brainfarting. How the heck could I get Kyushu and Shikkoku mixed up? Totally my bad. :rolleyes:

I didn't go to Hit Parade Club, nope. I found this awesome little bar down a backstreet, called Speakeasy. Find it if you can - they have a cracking selection of whiskies and it's just a really weird little place. You have to crouch under the plywood door. Very cool.

I did go to a couple of 50s American bars called Kentos (it's a chain) - one in Naha, Okinawa and the other in Hiroshima, I think. They were pretty neat, and live rock 'n' roll every night - can't argue without that. ;)

The Fanta jelly tended to be sold in machines on station platforms, so check there. It was a little can, maybe 200ml. It was quite literally jelly in a can - you shake it to break it up a bit, open the can and slurp it out the top. Pretty damn awesome, and it tastes exactly like regular orange Fanta. No-one I've told about it believes it even exists, and I forgot to bring some back with me...

Pocari Sweat I wasn't really that fond of, actually (just tasted weird to me), but Aquarius is bloody awesome stuff. I miss that, for sure. How long are you out there for?

Oh, and as for teaching - it's good if you can get it, but it's not as easy as it used to be. A friend I met over there went to work as an English teacher but apparently the demand has fallen off recently, and there was a major scandal recently with one of the biggest English agencies in Japan getting rid of a lot of people, leaving them unable to pay rent, etc. I'd be careful and try to secure a job before you get out there, if that's possible, if anyone is looking at doing that.

Found it - quite on accident. i was waiting in line at a shop and started looking at the things around and saw this:

09041815110001.jpg

Fanta jelly in a can.

I bought one and tried it, weird fizzy jelly that tastes just like fanta.

Found it - quite on accident. i was waiting in line at a shop and started looking at the things around and saw this:

09041815110001.jpg

Fanta jelly in a can.

I bought one and tried it, weird fizzy jelly that tastes just like fanta.

FANTASTIC!

I'm not even kidding here - if I paid for postage (and for the drinks, obviously), could you ship a few cans over to the UK?

goddamn it punky, why is it whenever he reads that he dies a little inside?

Aww. cuz I iz evil?

As for jap and korean soft drinks, yes they're mad awesome. I can get some of the more generic ones like the Pokka ones in London but they don't come cheap. We'd had a lot more variety in Singapore but then Singapore doesn't have airsoft.

I still wanna go to Shibuya.

Archived