'dying' in airsoft. 52.35% more fun, guranteed

pregnant N proud

I jus dont get it.

Your having a whale of a time, skulking round coridoors, a p90 with vertical grip. Then BLAM you get pwned by a balaclaver'd breh with a benelli. OUT.

I may speak for myself here but i find it boring to have to leave immediatley. I'm n the business of dying' in airsoft. I may find myself throwing myself backward into a wall. Or dropping lifelessly when sniped in the head. May even grab my shattered shins as imaginary shrapnel splinters them from an enemy grenade.

Course, i expect to get a few more hits cause you may think im not out. But straight after i'm happy with the death i'm a dead man walking like everybody else. Now you can't do this for example in the dense woods 20m away from your killer cause they wont know if your dead. But when i'm up close n personal, and when i'm not so pi*sed off i can't be arsed, i may be prepared to make a fool of myself in real life, go all 'rag doll' and really enjoy airsoft as much as it should be.

52.35% more fun, for me, guranteed

EDIT--

Just realised the implications of how much more satisfying your 'excellent kill' would be if someone backflips from a barret - delivered head shot. I need help

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had two incidents of people doing this one the recieving end of my shots..

First was a blast in the chest and the guy lept backwards and screamed (Wilhelm scream..)

Second was a rubber knife tag on the shoulder, the guy grabbed his throat and started gurgling. Really added to the kill!

I once dived from a moscart round and put all the arm flailing i learnt watching 'powerrangers' before diving backwards, I landed on a rock or a stump under leaf litter and didn't do it again..

Its a requirement for a member of the house team to become very die noisily and slowly when hit during a "challenge" game at FCS Lewisham, so that the challenging team can keep a track of whose been cleared on each level. Gives you a hoarse voice if the challenging team is slow though.

I think a little role playing in airsoft is cool but also appreciate that some are up for the fake dying act and others are not into roleplaying of any kind.

Personally, when hit, I sit down where I'm hit and apply my white 'I'm dead' rag to my head. I appreiate when others do the same as it confirms the hit. PnP, you'd be welcome in our game and would certainly earn yourself a few laughs but respect for your playing style.

Good Hunting

Its OK at a theme game or with regulars but...

I personally am a guy with a lot of respect for my fellow players, like almost everyone who plays. If I saw someone doing a death animation, I would immediately be concerned that I had actually seriously hurt them, and possibly put myself in a position to be shot out to ensure they are OK. That would not please me much!

Plus there is the concern of breaking dropped guns/hurting oneself by doing it. It only takes a stone under the soil or something to turn an amusing oscar-winning death scene into a trip in an ambulance.

I shout hit and raise my gun into a non-threatening position, then raise my hand above my head as I walk to wherever I have to go to regen (shouting "Dead man walking" when I need to)- that way, folks can get on with playing and everyone knows I'm out of the game - for now. That's the rules where I play.

I can see the appeal of acting out death throws, but from a H&S point of view it's a no-no as Guzzi says. If I ever do have a heart attack mid game, I'd hope no-one thought I was doing an amusing impression of someone who's just been shot.

I've also seen folks drag their "dead" or "injured" by their vest handles along the ground for added realism. I don't know about you, but I draw the line at realism that gets me injured just so someone can get more "into it" - especially from broken glass, nails and rocks ripping holes in my backside as I'm dragged through building rubble. Not pleasant, that. This is airsoft, not an S&M club for walts ;)

Each to their own though of course - if your site allows it and it helps you get your jollies, go right ahead.

I've done a couple of accidentally dramatic deaths in my airsoft career:

The first was a GZ when I was trying to clear the area ahead of me, I was walking from a light sunny space in to a very dark shady space through a break in the greenery, what I didn't notice was someone lining me up perfectly behind a tree about 10 feet away. When he shot me I was so shocked I dived/fell backwards and landed in an unorganised heap on my back.

The second time was just after I'd sprained my wrist on my BMX. I was playing a private game trying to ignore the injury and at one point, one of my friends jumps out and pulls the trigger, as I try and do the same I get a horrible twang of pain and fall to the ground whining like a baby :D

I jus dont get it.

Your having a whale of a time, skulking round coridoors, a p90 with vertical grip. Then BLAM you get pwned by a balaclaver'd breh with a benelli. OUT.

I may speak for myself here but i find it boring to have to leave immediatley. I'm n the business of dying' in airsoft. I may find myself throwing myself backward into a wall. Or dropping lifelessly when sniped in the head. May even grab my shattered shins as imaginary shrapnel splinters them from an enemy grenade.

Course, i expect to get a few more hits cause you may think im not out. But straight after i'm happy with the death i'm a dead man walking like everybody else. Now you can't do this for example in the dense woods 20m away from your killer cause they wont know if your dead. But when i'm up close n personal, and when i'm not so pi*sed off i can't be arsed, i may be prepared to make a fool of myself in real life, go all 'rag doll' and really enjoy airsoft as much as it should be.

52.35% more fun, for me, guranteed

EDIT--

Just realised the implications of how much more satisfying your 'excellent kill' would be if someone backflips from a barret - delivered head shot. I need help

You'd love the full contact games that FCS London organises. ;)

I love doing this, though obviously there are some potential problems that could arise. I've been known to do dramatic deaths sometimes during private games.

For example, during a game of zombie once. I run at two survivors (as a zombie), and he turns around and bangs me, aiming at my head, right as I'm running over a pile of wood chips. So, I decided to put on a convincing act, and I recoil backwards, landing on my back and rag dolling down the wood chip pile. I impressed both of my survivor friends.

years ago we had a Western Themed day with six shooter pistols and shotties only (complete with Dusters and big hats too).

to add to it, we had locational hits that disabled limbs with only body or head shots actually 'killing' you.

It was ultimate comedy to watch people limping about and trying to cock shotties one handed etc, and comedy deaths in true spaghetti western style.

I wasn't up for it to begin with, but as the day progressed it turned out to be one the funniest and most challenging days airsofting that I've ever done.

You have to try it.

'Nuff said :D

Nice...

I think it adds some merit to the game and can be done safely and effectivly. I think the most usefull phrase ever in this situation though is "AHHH I'M HIT!" I know most people say HIT when they get out or something along those lines, so that phrase would work very well. I think the problem would be more or less making people call their hits first...

I mix it up, I do safe slow motion falls and deaths when I get shot occasionally, depends on if I'm expecting to get shot or not. Some surprise hits I just say hit and walk away, occasionally though I get one I can see coming and will do a dramatic death. Good times :) Sometimes just laying down after being on the move for a while just feels great :)

This kinda reminds me of the time Sale almost caused a riot when he tried to suggest (and I agreed with him) that people simply shouldn't be able to score a kill if they don't have a weapon suitable to make the shot. In context, this means no "bang-kills".

Point being, it really depends on how you view airsoft.

I mean, it depends if you're out there pretending you're a WW2 paratrooper or a leetdeltasocomsealclubberwannabe or (like me) if you're out there trying to beat the other team at a game involving toy guns that shoot plastic BBs.

Personally, I've read a bunch of covert op's, CQB, handgun and sniper training manuals BUT I do it to allow me to play airsoft better. I don't do it so I can pretend to be a soldier.

If learning how to morris dance would help me play airsoft I'd consider learning but it wouldn't mean I'd be out there with my tambourine and hankies.

Point being that, to me, hamming up your "death" in airsoft is at best silly and at worst it gives the PC nazis more evidence that we're a bunch of unbalanced nutters with a military fixation.

If I shoot you and you stagger forward, gurgling and then dropping to your knees, expect me to roll my eyes and ignore the rest of your theatrics while I continue carry on with my game of airsoft.

If, on the other hand, I ever find myself wishing to hone my acting skills, I'll see you down the local church hall during rehearsals for the local Amateur Dramatics Society.

*fruitcage* the PC crowd, hammy, hilarious Hollywood deaths are not politically unacceptable. If they were, then there wouldn't be any action movies out there where characters died. ;)

Anyone with half a brain can see that someone laying down some slick theatrics on the field is doing it for the fun of it and not out of disrespect. Let's be honest, airsoft in it's purest form is no different from a childhood game of cops and robbers. It's all in the name of a good time, and anything a participant can do to make it more immersive and entertaining is doing the game justice.

Archived