SRC/TSD G36K Generation II

TSD/SRC G36K Gen II.

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

INTRO:

After some long serious thinking I broke down and violated my personal number one rule: NO plastic bodied guns. I have a history of being hard on guns and that was one history I was hoping to deter happening again by never buying a plastic bodied gun. Well, what can I say? I’m a sucker for the G36K. In fact, I’m a sucker for the E and MG36 as well ^_^. I purchased my SRC (labeled as TSD) G36K from Airsoft GI and it came in a rather uninteresting brown box.

IMG_1449.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

They always say first impressions are a real B! Sure enough, the first words out of my mouth where “Holy *suitcase*, this thing is solid!” I can’t believe it. I actually said a plastic gun felt solid shiftyeyes.gif but that’s ok. Comparing it to the CA G36 I felt almost a year ago this thing is hands down, the most rock solid G36 I’ve held. More so than the KWA at my field and way more so than any clone on the market (I suppose SRC is a clone, but this is amazing). The scope had some unrefined lines but after a few shakes they disappeared and the scope is ok. I don’t plan on using it. The crosshairs are a little tilted but that’s ok. The plastic feels like it is Nylon, although I’ve been told it’s actually Fiberglass reinforced. One thing to note is that there were some serious seems on this guy. I took my Xacto knife out and fixed them up because they were uncomfortable. I also trimmed up some of the body panels where they meet each other so that it doesn’t cut into my hands.

IMG_1429.jpg

You can see in the lower left there is a mark of some sort on the scope. I’ve tried cleaning it off with no luck. There is another in the upper right. Doesn’t bother me at all, but it may some.

SHOOTING:

Haha, you guys are funny. I don’t shoot stock guns! :P Can’t comment on stock performance at all. On a 10.8V mini it shot, probably around 20 RPS. I can’t be sure as the gun is no longer stock. The stock HiCaps do feed extremely well. STAR Midcaps fit, I have not gotten a chance to use my STAR Midcaps though in any length. They all seem to feed well enough (occasional stutter) and may break in as time comes.

EXTERNALS:

As I said above it appears that the body is made of Nylon, but it’s supposed to be Fiberglass reinforced nylon. Ok, minor point, it feels great. It’s not shiny, at all, very flat, very black. The fire selector positions are white and RED which was a welcome change over the orange some bodies seemed to have. The fire selector clicks satisfyingly into position. I do have a complaint and that is that the left hand side (which has the spring and ball bearing that makes it click) has a tendency to move in and out from the body if you play with it. Results are less than favorable as the fire selector eventually wiggles its way off. I took out the allen screw and put some ThreadLok on it (blue) and it hasn’t come loose yet but it still wiggles a little. Annoying, I would rather have a fatty Phillips screw that screws into the actual fire selector plate under it than an allen screw that is supposed to hold it on there by friction. The stock is impressive, very solid. I have another issue here. Sometime in my messing around with the stock the screw that prevents the button from flying out, went AWOL. A quick fix and some Xacto Knifing later a simple PC Mother Board screw sufficed.

IMG_1448.jpg

That solved the issue, and ironically is an exact fit thread and all! Stock now locks in and out without throwing the button out!

The charging handle is metal, woot woot! Can’t go wrong with more metal on a plastic gun!

INTERNALS:

The internals are where this gun shines. I dont have pictures of the internals themselves (and I'm not about to crack into my least favorite gearbox version to take em either :D) Here are some side views of the Gearbox though:

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

You will notice that the wires are cut, I had an SW-Evolution with Wolf Dragon LiPo board. I would like to emphasize HAD because, well, I broke it. I stupidly plugged in a battery the wrong way (the Deans connectors were backwards and I forgot!) So that’s currently at Terry’s house getting fixed! The motor is an SRC Ultra Torque motor. Its label came off during the reassembly, but it does say “SRC ULTRA HIGH TORQUE MOTOR” above the SRC logo (what’s left of it). I’m a bit miffed by this but they used the standard Butt connectors rather than soldering the wire on. I’d prefer they soldered the wires, and I have plans of doing it FOR them as soon as I get more solder. The internals of the gearbox are very well made, the gears are steel, the pinion gear very well made, and in general I’m overly impressed with the quality of the internals. The Spring Guide is Poop, utter poop. It’s made of an Orange plastic that I’ll dub the Carrot Spring Guide because it’s ridiculously soft. That was replaced with a Modify V3 Spring Guide. The stock spring is an M100 spring, replaced with an Echo1 (Modify) M110 Spring. The Piston and Piston head are of a very durable plastic, I have no qualms about it lasting a while. For the record I disassembled this set up and replaced ALL of the lubricant in the gearbox. While I had the piston and piston head apart I adjusted the AoE so it is perfect. The seal with the Air Nozzle is nothing short of Impressive. For 200$ I can’t complain, the gearbox is rock solid. I did have to add a shim to the Spur Gear to keep it from bouncing around too much and that quieted the gearbox down significantly. The gearbox sounds as smooth as butter. It punctured the bottom of the center of a Fanta can (I <3 Fanta)

The Barrel assembly is OK. There is SOME wobble in the entire barrel assembly. There is a metal support running the length of the barrel to what I assume is the “gas block” on the real G36, but it still wobbles. The source of the issue is somewhere in the upper receiver. The front handguard also wobbles a little bit too. Meh!

IMG_1435.jpg

I replaced the hop up rubber, hop up nub and the barrel with a Systema Hop Up rubber, Element H Nub, and a Madbull 6.03 363mm Tightbore. The Hop Up unit was a bit complex at first (being as I’m used to M4 hop up units and AUG hop up units) but I got the hang of it and everything peachy. In range shootings it shoots very accurately in this form. No complaints! The Hop Up unit is Metal. A bit excessive but a nice feature none the less!

IMG_1433.jpg

BATTERY SPACE:

What? What battery space? This has to be the major let down of the G36 series in my opinion. Without the use of a LiPo you are seriously limited to either a C with a “large” handguard (which looks meh IMO) or a PEQ box. Neither are particularly attractive, so LiPo it is. My 7.4v 1500 mAh 20C LiPo is no head turner, but it moves the gearbox at a good rate of fire and decent trigger response. I think the SRC Motor is a bit overkill for my set up and it eventually may get replaced with a motor that has a bit better trigger response. The LiPo, SW-Evolution and LiPo monitoring Board (WolfDragon) all fit in the front of the K, in the C it may be an issue.

FINAL THOUGHTS AND SCORING:

Externals: 8/10 – It’s a rock solid gun, it has some niggles with it like the Fire Selector. I’m not counting the fact I still don’t like plastic bodied guns, despite how solid this one is. It’s a risk in my mind. There are a few more refined things I hope the Gen III guns fix especially the Fire Selector, thats incredibly annoying.

Internals: 9/10 – Considering my options where a CA or SRC G36, I’m thoroughly impressed. The Spring Guide is a POS and the motor isn’t the World’s fastest but it gets the job done. In terms of stuff needing replaced to make an EXCELENT gun… Spring Guide is all! Truly a work of art!

Shooting: N/A – I said I can’t comment on stock performance. I can’t! Upgraded it turns over very nicely and has good range, about 150-180ft max to hit a man size target with .25’s. I’m not complaining, but it’s not objective to base stock Performance on an upgraded platform.

OVERALL: 9/10 – This gun has done nothing but impress me. I’m not a huge fan of plastic but this gun’s performance outweighs any complaints about plastic. I’m truly impressed. I spent no more than 500$ in total on my set up and have a ROCK SOLID G36K with 10 Star Midcaps and 2 HiCaps.

Would I recommend this over another brand? HECK YES. In terms of what you have in the K market you are basically limited to STAR, CA, SRC, or clones. And I have to say the SRC is head over heal better than the CA and STAR offerings and light years ahead of any clone I've seen. I can’t imagine a better base for a good all around AEG.

I will entertain questions, but keep in mind that I CANT COMMENT ON STOCK PERFORMANCE so ask away :D

nice review man didnt know SRC were still making AEGS!

Thanks, and yeah, SRC is still kicking! Generation III guns are supposed to be an improvement on this generation which says alot since it's already pretty impressive. Cant wait for the Gen III guns to come out, may pick up another for grins :P

Man I just hate that proprietary hopup design - sucks when something breaks.

Otherwise amazing review. I was amazed by a friend's KWA G36 the other day, and according to your review SRC's definitely stepping it up. Let us know how the scope is - I've never purchased one mainly from hearing issues with the scope keeping its alignment.

Man I just hate that proprietary hopup design - sucks when something breaks.

Otherwise amazing review. I was amazed by a friend's KWA G36 the other day, and according to your review SRC's definitely stepping it up. Let us know how the scope is - I've never purchased one mainly from hearing issues with the scope keeping its alignment.

I dont know if the hop up will ever break though, every bit of it is metal and it takes standard barrels and hop up rubbers and nubs. The quick and dirty fix would be to buy a new mag well and hop up unit but I dont forsee this one breaking anytime soon as it's very well made.

I'll let ya know about the scope, I've never taken the time to zero it as I probably wont use it very frequently if at all. But I'll keep ya posted :)