Best 5.45 Style AK Mags?

Horse

What is the best mid/low/real cap 5.45 style AK magazine out there?

I do not want 45 round mags, or high cap mags, just mids and lows etc.

I love the STAR revolution mags, but they are 7.62 not 5.45.

Give me your AK loves and thoughts.

tbh I doubt you'll ever get a final definitive opinion on that cos theres too many variables in mag catch and magwell dimensions and in the mag lips of the mags themselves.

eg star mags will probably work wonderfully in a Kalash or RS type 56 where the mag catches are large and keep the narrow mag lip they used up tight in the receiver, but when I owned them they wobbled in a guarder kit cos the catch is shorter and the magwell a little wider so dropped down at the back and misfed etc.

whereas on a VFC where the catch was inbetweeny sized they were held tight enough to be usable if a little wobbly

some folks curse G&P midcap 74 style mags as being jam prone but other folks get on just fine with them etc

you're best bet is probably to go to a game and try borrowing as many mid cap 74 style brands as you can lay your hands on and try them in your gun then buy a bundle of that sort

personally I got on well with G&P in Guarder and VFC guns (and in Kalash guns with their mag latch filed down to suit the mags)

Archived