Star M4's

PynkPanthyr

Alright well I have been considering purchasing a Star M4. So I did some searching here, on some other site/forums, and read a few reviews. However they all left me feeling, unsure. So does anyone here happen to own one or have any opinions on them? Mostly about the internals to be specific.

Thanks.

PynkPathyr,

I think you're going to find that not many people own Star M4s or Stars in general, and as a result you'll get a lot of hearsay and rumor about their performance. I personally don't own one and as a result I'm not going to make any comment about their reliability or quality.

I'd take everything you hear from non-owners with a grain of salt and keep searching for someone who actually owns the gun. All brands have had rough patches in their development. G&G used to be anathema, ICS was once considered terrible. Those companies today are generally regarded as not half bad. The same could be true of Star (or ARES, whatever they are calling themselves now).

I've taken one of these apart, so i'm speaking from experience. The STAR M4 has one superb feature - the ability to change the spring without having to crack the gearbox shell apart. Hell, you don't even have to open the receiver to do it. Cosmetically as well, I rather like 'em.

That's the good bits. Now the bad.

*fruitcage* all spare parts support. Not good with an AEG that uses a lot of non-standard parts (gearbox shell being the prime example). I for one, would never choose to buy an AEG that you cant get spares for...

• 3 weeks later...

Something happened over in Hong Kong, I'm not exactly sure what, but STAR is now ARES, and from what I've heard they are reasonably good, now CNC all their metal parts and were the only competition for the CA '249 until A&K came along. As for their M4's, they won't be bad but would not be the best choice for a first gun as stated (you could do MUCH worse though), also as stated take all this with a grain of salt. I do not own one, have considered it, but never got around to it :D . If your still worried WGC is having a considerable sale on most of the ARES guns, might be less of a risk then. Also the FNC is aparently sublime (Oorah! 3 rnd burst!!). I haven't heard anything bad about it but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Something happened over in Hong Kong, I'm not exactly sure what, but STAR is now ARES, and from what I've heard they are reasonably good, now CNC all their metal parts and were the only competition for the CA '249 until A&K came along. As for their M4's, they won't be bad but would not be the best choice for a first gun as stated (you could do MUCH worse though), also as stated take all this with a grain of salt. I do not own one, have considered it, but never got around to it :D . If your still worried WGC is having a considerable sale on most of the ARES guns, might be less of a risk then. Also the FNC is aparently sublime (Oorah! 3 rnd burst!!). I haven't heard anything bad about it but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Please be aware that STAR is not now ARES. ARES used to supply OEM products to STAR to there specs. ARES no longer deals with STAR. ARES now has made a lot of improvements to its product line.

In the USA all prodcuts come with a metal gear box. Please also be aware that WGC and other far east retailers are selling old STAR stock as ARES. Also the far east models can not be relied upon to come with metal internals.

To ensure that you get a skirmishable weapon with metal gear box and extra quality control please purchase ARES products through an ARES USA authorized dealer.

Dealers can be found on www.aresusa.com

All well and good ARES USA, but I ask one thing. Spare parts availability. Will ARES support all their products with a FULL range of spare parts?

If you look around the forum, you'll find several annoyed owners whose guns are beyond use because they cant get the parts they need to get them working again!

Please be aware that STAR is not now ARES. ARES used to supply OEM products to STAR to there specs. ARES no longer deals with STAR. ARES now has made a lot of improvements to its product line.

In the USA all prodcuts come with a metal gear box. Please also be aware that WGC and other far east retailers are selling old STAR stock as ARES. Also the far east models can not be relied upon to come with metal internals.

To ensure that you get a skirmishable weapon with metal gear box and extra quality control please purchase ARES products through an ARES USA authorized dealer.

Dealers can be found on www.aresusa.com

im little confused, if i go to aresairsoft .com there based in hongkong and aresusa in usa im guesing. Are you both the same???? if so who if anyone is going to be stocking your aegs in the UK as basicly your guns are STAR but slightly better by what your saying and i want that tar 21

Hm. My mistake then, ARES USA. Good to see that there is now a US distributor for ARES guns. In that case, I'd say go for it. With a US distributor in town even if they don't offer backup parts now, I'm sure they will. So from the looks of things they ARE in fact completely separate now and with a metal rather than Lexan gearbox. I like this...

ARES USA offers a complete spare parts service. We have been helping old STAR customers since Jan to obtain spare parts for there STAR products. Although we can not 100% confirm compatibility with all STAR guns but we work with the customer to get them back up and running.

If you need spare parts for your exisitng rifles then please send an email to cs@aresusa.com deatiling as much as possible the parts you need and we will try our best to source the part for you.

Mad props to ARES. By all means go for it, in fact, I don't see a reason not to get one now. Is ARES going to release any of the M249 series?

The M249 has many issues. ARES USA has decided not to release this version untill we are happy that the weapon is of skirmishable quality.

Archived