Magpul Sling

smokenghosts

yes. a few of us have these.. did you want to know something specific?

Yea, I was wondering how it was. Is it really as good as it seems. A 1 and 2 point sling that wont fail and was durable. I was thinking to get one instead of a Tactical Link Sling. What do yall think, is it just as good as a standard 2 point and 1 point even though the 2 are together? Thank you

I like mine. I do have a couple issues with them though. One of which is that the secondary hook called the Lock Jaw Hook (the one that's supposed to hook into the front mount of a two point setup) is a bit oversized and and doesn't really swivel in most of my mounts. The second issue I have with it is that I'm not a fan of the placement of the adjustment loop. When using the sling in a single point mode, I find the adjustment loop tends to sit right under my arm in the arm pit area which can be a little uncomfortable to use occasionally. The fact that the primary hook can be unhooked pretty easily has me a little nervous too.

A similar sling I bought a while back is the EMDOM USA Gunslinger Sling that was co-developed with MilitaryMorons. I actually prefer the Gunslinger Sling over the Magpul MS2 Sling as it has very similar features with fewer drawbacks.

What's really awesome is Magpul's ASAP Sling Plate. That thing is simply brilliant. I have a few including one mounted on either one of my Chris Costa SR16 Setups (one an GBB and the other an AEG) and I LOVE them. It has never felt so natural to switch shoulders as it does now with the ASAP Sling Plate.

I like mine. I do have a couple issues with them though. One of which is that the secondary hook called the Lock Jaw Hook (the one that's supposed to hook into the front mount of a two point setup) is a bit oversized and and doesn't really swivel in most of my mounts. The second issue I have with it is that I'm not a fan of the placement of the adjustment loop. When using the sling in a single point mode, I find the adjustment loop tends to sit right under my arm in the arm pit area which can be a little uncomfortable to use occasionally. The fact that the primary hook can be unhooked pretty easily has me a little nervous too.

A similar sling I bought a while back is the EMDOM USA Gunslinger Sling that was co-developed with MilitaryMorons. I actually prefer the Gunslinger Sling over the Magpul MS2 Sling as it has very similar features with fewer drawbacks.

What's really awesome is Magpul's ASAP Sling Plate. That thing is simply brilliant. I have a few including one mounted on either one of my Chris Costa SR16 Setups (one an GBB and the other an AEG) and I LOVE them. It has never felt so natural to switch shoulders as it does now with the ASAP Sling Plate.

Yes I was worried about accidentally relasing the system dropping my weapon. I gues I should give it more thought, it's hard though because I'm a huge Magpul fan. BTW: Saw your Chris Costs based gun, it's simply amazing, great job and thanks for your help.

Yes I was worried about accidentally relasing the system dropping my weapon. I gues I should give it more thought, it's hard though because I'm a huge Magpul fan. BTW: Saw your Chris Costs based gun, it's simply amazing, great job and thanks for your help.

Thanks for the kind words! It's one of the few AR setups that has really struck a chord with me. ;)

I still think the MS2 is a decent sling, I'm just still trying to decide how I ultimately feel about it for my own personal uses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-FDE-Magpul-MS2-Sl...93%3A2|294%3A50

It seems like your in HK, so you gotta wait for PTS to get them in, or you could probably by this one LOL

supply and demand eh?

That's freakin' ridiculous.

I have taken mine to the range a few times now... The sling does what it is supposed to do, that's about all I can say

If you need the ability to go from 1 point to a 2 point sling then it is great, but I have to say that there are better slings out there if you only need one configuration

I pretty much use single points only, as such I wish it used a bit thicker webbing or had a bit of padding to it... The thin strip tends to put a little more pressure than I like when running slick (Granted this is also with a 11 1/2 pound weapon)

The ASAP, is the absolute heat however... Best designed sling mount I have ever came across

Yea, I guess I will just wait to see if I can try out a friends. I basically only use sling's in a single point configuration except for when I'm completely out of ammo for my primary, or when I need to climb over an obstacle. In both airsoft situations and when I'm messing around at the range. I guess I could always get a weapon catch.

The ASAP attachment system seems to be the main selling point. Aside from the modularity of the MS2 it still basically replicates the VTAC/VCAS style slings. I snagged a VTAC sling for $15 and can't fault it. Unless you want the gucci name associated with the MS2, or you absolutely must have the modularity it offers, some version of the VCAS/VTAC/Gun slinger is probably a more affordable bet.

For you guys with the MS2 sling and the 1 point to 2 point slings. what in your opinion is the better forward attachement point?

Is the classic swivel/QD mount or a fixed HK look better?

http://www.cobratactical.com/Midwest...op-_p_694.html

or this

http://www.cobratactical.com/Midwest...8HD_p_695.html

Has anyone used the daniels Defense Rear QD sling mount

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/de...p;product_id=78

How does that product fare against the ASAP plate?

Your first two links are broken. The DD QD Mount is decent, but I have yet to find a rear mount as versatile as the ASAP.

Links corrected:

Just reread my post above the grammar is terrible. Which mount would work better with the alligator clip that the MS2 sling has.

http://www.cobratactical.com/Midwest-Indus...oop-_p_694.html

http://www.cobratactical.com/Midwest-Indus...08HD_p_695.html

The ASAP attachment system seems to be the main selling point. Aside from the modularity of the MS2 it still basically replicates the VTAC/VCAS style slings. I snagged a VTAC sling for $15 and can't fault it. Unless you want the gucci name associated with the MS2, or you absolutely must have the modularity it offers, some version of the VCAS/VTAC/Gun slinger is probably a more affordable bet.

+1 on that. VTAC MK2 (padded) rocks. I picked up a Viking Tactics one and a 5:11 licensed one (a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of in the UK). I haven't looked back.

Links corrected:

Just reread my post above the grammar is terrible. Which mount would work better with the alligator clip that the MS2 sling has.

http://www.cobratactical.com/Midwest-Indus...oop-_p_694.html

http://www.cobratactical.com/Midwest-Indus...08HD_p_695.html

Probably the second link with the QD mount would be better. The first mount with just a loop might be too narrow in diameter to work with the Lock Jaw Hook/Clip. I have trouble using the MS2 with my CQD front mounts... and Chris Costa uses the exact same setup on his gun. I'm still wondering if he has the same issue.

Edit: I should also mention that when you get the MS2 Sling, you can switch the Lock Jaw Hook/Clip to a H&K Clip quite simply. That's something I'm considering doing with all of my MS2 slings as I'm not a fan of the Lock Jaw.

You will need to dremel the mount out a bit and hit it with some paint

Is that what Costa did to get his to work with it? :huh:

I just find it surprising that Magpul would choose a sling hook that has so many compatibility issues with so many common mounts out there. The other annoyance is that there's not a lot of room to get a dremel sanding drum in there ... I'd probably have to use a needle file. <_<

I will try and find the link tomorrow... Yeah kind of a pain

Not a huge issue for me since I only use the single point configuration but still it doesn't make much sense

I'm finding that while I spend the majority of the time in single point config, I do find it helpful to quickly switch to two point when I want to go hands on or climbing over large obstacles requiring both hands.

If you do find a link please do let me know. I'll head over to AR15 to see if I can dig anything up.

Not a huge issue for me since I only use the single point configuration but still it doesn't make much sense

Yeah, I used to run mostly in single-point mode, but the more I use it and get 'used' to some of the advantages of the two-point mode, the more I find myself simply leaving it in two-point after slinging my rifle on my back. Without getting into a 1pt-vs-2pt discussion (there's pros and cons to each, obviously) I just very much like the ability to easily change modes according to the situation.

That being said, the Magpul sling is freakin' thin. Too thin, I think. It digs in and abrades the neck and shoulder very easily, I got a sling-hickey the very first day I brought it out. I adjusted the sling 'location' a bit so that it doesn't quite ride on my neck as much, but inevitably I end up rubbing myself raw. Made me miss my old Gear Sector ASP sling, which was infinitely more comfortable (even though it didn't have that sweet modularity). That being said, I don't really like super-thick slings - that Emdom Gunslinger seems a bit on the thick side, but there *is* a happy medium (again, Gear Sector - they're just really comfortable).

The ASAP plate is, as a previous poster said, "brilliant". Transitions are smooth and feel great - no awkward pulling or sling positioning. I wasn't lucky enough to nab one of those, but my buddy has one mounted on his AR and I got a chance to rock it out for a bit. I was extremely impressed.

From what I'm reading here it sounds like the sling is good but not a great leap over pre-existing convertible slings like the EMDOM.

If i'm going to buy the MS2 and replace the clip on it why wouldnt i just buy the EMDOM and put the right HK clip on right away.

I do find it helpful to quickly switch to two point when I want to go hands on or climbing over large obstacles requiring both hands.

I have never really found the need to place my weapon on my back to cuff anyone but to each their own... As for climbing over an obstacle... If it is that large then I am not going to be covered by my guys on the other side, I would rather be able to quickly get my gun back into the fight then have to mess with it once I get over

Archived