Magpul Sling

smokenghosts

*snip*

I liked my Gear Sector Slings, especially the thickness of the webbing, I just wasn't a big fan of the length of the part that attaches to the gun. I understand that a lot of that is dictated by the side release clip, but I like to be able to adjust the length of the relative distance between body and weapon and I couldn't do that with the ASP. The ASPV did allow that kind of functionality, but the adjustment strap wasn't anywhere near as simple to work with as the EMDOM Universal Rig Strap ... But then, those are both rig straps and not stand alone single point slings.

From what I'm reading here it sounds like the sling is good but not a great leap over pre-existing convertible slings like the EMDOM.

If i'm going to buy the MS2 and replace the clip on it why wouldnt i just buy the EMDOM and put the right HK clip on right away.

You could definitely do that and I personally think you'd be equally satisfied.

I have never really found the need to place my weapon on my back to cuff anyone but to each their own... As for climbing over an obstacle... If it is that large then I am not going to be covered by my guys on the other side, I would rather be able to quickly get my gun back into the fight then have to mess with it once I get over

Hmmm... Good points. Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my approach to it. I will definitely say that going two point and slinging my weapon on my back for a long march back to camp during ENDEX has proven to be more comfortable than single point, but for the vast majority of the rest of my day, I am in single point mode.

Corps, how the hell did you manage to mount the ASAP plate to your AEG?

Do the VFC SR16's have realistic buffer tubes?

As far as the ms2 sling goes...meh, i like it but for one reason alone. As far as it being a good single point sling, yeah its not bad but again, it doesnt do anything that my other slings dont already do.

What i DO like is the fact that i DO have the option of converting to a two point IF i feel the need for more weapon retention. Its a slick little setup but its nothing revolutionary.

The price is not terrible, i would suggest everyone pick one up to at least try.

Corps, how the hell did you manage to mount the ASAP plate to your AEG?

Do the VFC SR16's have realistic buffer tubes?

As far as the ms2 sling goes...meh, i like it but for one reason alone. As far as it being a good single point sling, yeah its not bad but again, it doesnt do anything that my other slings dont already do.

What i DO like is the fact that i DO have the option of converting to a two point IF i feel the need for more weapon retention. Its a slick little setup but its nothing revolutionary.

The price is not terrible, i would suggest everyone pick one up to at least try.

heh... I had to modify it a touch but it worked. The first hindrance of installing the ASAP plate on the SR16E3 was the fact that the SR16E3 has those QD mount points on the rear of the lower receiver. Right there, I new I'd have to remove material from the ASAP's anti-rotational lugs on either side of the plate. The next problem was that I wanted to use the old end plate as well to avoid removing too much of the side lugs which meant I had to remove the elliptical bevel on the inside of the ASAP plate so that the ASAP would lie flush against the old end plate. The resulting modification allowed me to have both the ASAP plate and the receiver's QD mounts still 100% functional. I'll try and take a pic tonight.

As for the price of the MS2, I'm really impressed that they didn't charge an exorbitant amount for it. For what it is, and the hardware they used, I personally think it's very reasonably priced. I'm even more impressed with the pricing of the ASAP Sling Plate. At under $30, that's VERY competitive. Plus the fact that with a little work you can use it with an AEG ... I'm well pleased with it.

I just wish they'd release their B.A.D.. Every time I use my GBB M4 I wish I had one.

Here's my VFC SR16E3 URX with the Magpul ASAP Plate installed:

magpulasap01.jpg

magpulasap04.jpg

magpulasap05.jpg

You'll notice I've modified the lugs on either side of the ASAP plate to make room for the QD mounts (which are still functional with the ASAP Plate installed). I also had to shave off some material from the inside of the lugs as the VFC's receiver was somewhat wider than standard. As I mentioned before, I decided to keep the original carbine end plate as it offset the ASAP plate a little further away from the QD mounts meaning I'd have to remove less material from the ASAP lugs. On a normal AEG, that may not be needed. The other necessity for the presence of the original end plate is because I wanted to use the anti-rotation pins that came with the ASAP, and without something backing the ASAP, the pin would just fall into the lower receiver. Another modification to the ASAP, was that it that oval bevel on the inside face of the mount that's supposed to interface with the back of the RS lower receiver and reduce the likelihood of rotation. In order to make the ASAP fit flush against the original end plate, I have to dremel the oval bevel off the ASAP (which was very easy to do). The resulting installation is 100% rock solid, but if you do try to do it yourself, make sure you tighten the castle nut down as securely as possible (preferably with an AR armorer's tool).

And some eye candy...

sr16e301aai.jpg

sr16e302aao.jpg

sr16e305.jpg

Where did you find the material to place onto the pmag and Ranger plates? I've been trying to find something that will work but won't wear down pouches.

They're called EMGs/Enhanced Magazine Grips. I bought them from RainierArms.com

But as Wayneard said, you could probably do the same thing with skateboard grip tape. The stuff RainierArms uses is rubbery though, where as typical skateboard grip tape is more hard gritty like sandpaper.

uscmCorps: Dude - you are the MAN once again. I was really considering getting one of those MagPul slings after seeing milspecmonkey's video from the SHOT Show, but now I'm seriously thinking of that Gunslinger unit from Emdom.

I assume it would work just as well on a Galil SAR?

I have the gunslinger, it is nice, but not great IMO. It adjusts far to long and doesn't adjust short enough. Even with an armor carrier stuffed with molle pouches, there is a lot of superfluous length..... And with a normal "vest" (I usually run Brit PLCE or an Arktis jungle vest) I can't cinch it in tight enough (though I have a relatively small frame, 5' 10ish" 130 lbs). When I have the cash I want to try out the MS2 or BFG single point and ASAP.

If I could go back in time, I'd have bought the BFG VCAS Padded sling.

Archived