Best BB weight for Green gas

Horse

I have been reading a lot about the fact that Tanaka M629 was made to use 134A and .2g bbs. With the fixed hopup and using green gas .2's swerve like crazy and are terribly inaccurate. What bb weights have people been able to use properly in the Tanaka M629's?

As I recall I left it somewhere in the middle so that it wouldn't ware anything down to aggressively.

I think that the main reason my numbers are on the lower side is the fact that I have an older version with a brass flow restrictor in opening at the front of the cylinder. According to some removing it could help me pick up another 20-30 FPS. I really don't feel like I need it at this point though. Before I sacrifice efficiency I'd rather get a 6.01 tightbore cut.

I think yours must be a NEWER version, rather than older.

The flow restrictors were fitted to make the guns less powerful to comply with the new Japanese legislation.

Older ones didn't have them.

Cheers.

I used to use .36 or .43s in my M629 Nato Green - the hammer spring had to be adjusted to give the right fps to make the bbs fly flat but once adjusted it was amazingly accurate. You may want to remove the outer barrel and superglue the inner barrel to the breech to stop it rotating, which they sometimes do.

Of course you may find the fps too high for your site by doing the above so test it with a few different weights of bb and tune the spring accordingly until you get a good balance. I think with the 4 inch barrel you should be OK to tune the spring closer to the stiffest setting though.

Interesting. Cyclops-a-thon (he was the one who gave me the info on this) was saying the opposite (that the new versions just had a smaller hole so that none could mess with it). Now I don't know what to think :)

No - We're both right :)

The originals had no restriction and gave the high FPS figures people associate with Tanaka revolvers (especially *29s).

Then they sleeved them to keep the flow rate down (In Japan you could get a part to restrict the power of your gun), but the latest ones are just restricted by design, as Cyclops-a-thon says.

Cheers.

It's a common question, and I've certainly noticed .25s attempting to make orbit out of my pair of x29's and my Mates one.

As I'm in the middle of some customising the Performance Center, I'll have a play with and without the hop, and with different FPS settings when I can. Won't be for a few weeks. Stoopid work...

Then I'll have to replicate the best results on my Umbrella Magnum with the extended Tight Bore. Oh Joy!

Horse, how far is it going before it swerves? The few test shots taken within the 10 yard or so within the apartment weren't anything unusual in a pistol. Try lightly lubing the rubber rings holding the BB's light silicone oil as well. That ways seem to help in about half-dozen Tanaka revolvers I've had.

And one of the older tricks dealing with the overhop is to take the inner barrel out and lightly file the hop-up nub.

Perhaps I should have tested the revolver little more extensively before selling it, but I haven't had much time for airsoft these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived