New type DBoys HK416

TheFull9

I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

First off:

*orgasm noises*

It's awesome. Really, really awesome. full VFC clone, the difference in finish between the upper/lower receivers is invisible to the eye, the markings are all there. Metal hop-up unit. Metal everything.

Included in the package is also:

14.5" Barrel extension! And the flip-up sight for the front gasblock!

Gearbox sounds silky smooth, and though I need to grab a chrono it sounds like it's about 380-400fps. Pics as soon as my camera behaves.

:D

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for the minor hijack, but, Dboys HK416 should be more or less the same quality than their M4 RASII, shouldnt it? im looking any review about it but no luck until Darklite post a more detailed one.

Thanks, and apologies :)

It's part of the same series - their new BIAR series (VFC clones - PDW is next, apparently). The external quality should be similar.

Had a play around with the 416 - converted it to the 14.5" version and back again. Only took about 5 minutes, though you'd really want to swap the hop-up unit and barrel to do it right. An extra hop-up unit is on it's way already, so I should be able to hot-swap within 10 minutes for CQB or woodland... ACE!

The gun is really, really solid. Shake test doesn't lead to any noise at all, the PEQ included is odd - not as big as the older DBOYs PEQ, which could easily take a nunchuck or two 9.6v minis side by side. This one could take at most a 13.2v, 2200mAh battery composed of 4/5F cells.

All the rails are to spec, and they are crisp and clean, good milling here. The finish is sexcellent on all the parts - aside from the gasblock, which could be a tad smoother.

The VFG included is pretty standard, but had a LOT of flash on it. Took a few minutes with a file to clean up, but eh, it's a free addon anyway. The stock has a tiny bit of flash on it, but again tis not cripplingly serious. The pistol grip is nice and grippy, but not rubberised. The plastic on the grip and stock feel like the CA fiber-polymer, but I doubt it actually is. More likely just surface finishing. But it feels good, and the grip is positive, so it's a win anyhow.

The receiver pins are the VFC style captives, so they don't come out accidentally and take some definite engagement to get the receiver open. Good, no lost pins here.

The bolt catch works, the 'bolt' is shiny, but has a nice HK pressed into it. I've had far too much fun cocking the gun and pressing the bolt catch to let the thing make metallic clicks and clacks.

The wiring seems decent - up to TM standards, but that still means plastic-sheathed 18g. Automotive fuse hidden in the RIS - which, according to the manual, houses a fake gas-piston assembly, but I haven't taken her to bits just yet.

The included battery is wank, it's a 8.4v 1100mAh mini. Trigger response and RoF is good when tested with a decent 8.4v battery, about 15rps. FPS unknown as of yet, but the gearbox sounds smooth and snappy. Probably in the 380-400fps range.

Alas, they cloned the VFC mag catch too, and it's tendency to not like some magazines. The metal hop-up unit is decent enough, but it occasionally rotates a degree or two to the right which makes getting magazines to fit a chore.

Speaking of which, the magazine is beeeeeeeeeeautiful. VFC clone again, very nice, feeds well and winds very quickly.

The trademarks on the gun are laser-etched, not painted or cast. The magazine trades are pressed.

I'm working on doing a video review later. Camera still not behaving. -_-

Looks like this new series is full of WIN!! and next monday purchase is INMINENT!!! :lol:

Thank you very much darklite, but let me be one of the first here to shoot some questions.

* Have you tested it with some different mag brands? I mean, I had a AGM HK416(luckily sold) and I had issues with KA metal midcaps

* Would you recomend changing the metal hop unit? if so, which brand?

Thanks and expecting that video review :)

Looks like this new series is full of WIN!! and next monday purchase is INMINENT!!! :lol:

Thank you very much darklite, but let me be one of the first here to shoot some questions.

* Have you tested it with some different mag brands? I mean, I had a AGM HK416(luckily sold) and I had issues with KA metal midcaps

* Would you recomend changing the metal hop unit? if so, which brand?

Thanks and expecting that video review :)

1) Seems to take my MAG midcaps fine. It seems to be a combination of the hop-up unit's feed tube shifting about slightly and the VFC-esque mag catch. I'm going to change that out for an ambi-mag-catch anyhoo.

2) I haven't had a chance to test the HK416 outside, I live in the city center, so it'd be a tad inadvisable. ;) But if the hop-up unit works as it should I don't think it'd need replacing.

Darklite, have you had a peek inside the gearbox yet? How's everything looking in there?

Gearbox shell is a clone of the VFC with the bolt catch mech on the side.

Otherwise it's the same Dboys Gearbox - 7mm plastic bushings, hi-torque motor, *suitcasey* nozzle, wiring could be better, I suspect it'll have lots of grease inside etc.

They also cloned the fake gas system inside the RIS! :D

Well, so I will be rdering element nozzle and metal bearings, or bushings? price is the same for both, so which are more advisable?

Anyway, everybody is waiting for your camera to work so you can shoot us some photos, external and internal ;)

7mm, make sure. Bearings give better RoF.

Camera is behaving a bit! Yey!

Box is nice and made of cardboard, but stylish and striking.

2009-03-30001001.jpg

2009-03-30001002.jpg

2009-03-30001003.jpg

2009-03-30001004.jpg

2009-03-30001005.jpg

And inside there is a very secure clamshell polystyrene insert, and a manual.

2009-03-30001006.jpg

2009-03-30001007.jpg

My gnu was bashed about a bit, but was undamaged - the box did it's job well. It will be missed.

2009-03-30001008.jpg

Inside you get:

- Craptastic 8.4v 1100mAh mini

- Craptastic 8.4v 450mA charger

- PEQ2 style battybox

- KAC style VFG

- 2 sets of stickers for PEQ2 style battybox

- Fold up front sight and associated bits for 14.5" conversion

- 14.5" barrel extension

- VFC style (aka PROPER HK416 STYLE) hicap and winder for it (notice the curve? Tis how a 416 mag SHOULD be)

- HK416 (Dahr)

2009-03-30001009.jpg

Hmm. This needed tightening, but that's the only problem I found out of the box.

2009-03-30001010.jpg

Trades!

2009-03-30001011.jpg

2009-03-30001012.jpg

2009-03-30001013.jpg

2009-03-30001014.jpg

2009-03-30001015.jpg

My battery died so I cannae get anything else tonight. Tommorow I'll show you the trades on the mag, the gun in both 10" and 14.5" configurations and some more details on the gun in general.

Tis so much win. Eeee!

omg you have a campanion cube too, awesome :)

Ladies love the companion cube. :D

That cube has been squeezed into more breasts than I can remember.

I'm hoping that DBOYs releases the HK416 magazines soon, I'd like a few more for my CQB loadout. They wind QUICK.

Ladies love the companion cube. :D

That cube has been squeezed into more breasts than I can remember.

I'm hoping that DBOYs releases the HK416 magazines soon, I'd like a few more for my CQB loadout. They wind QUICK.

yeah i know, its surprising!

well dboys have HK marked M4 mags... are they not the same?

Archived