1911 Picture Thread

Ditto. Ever since I used a 1911 I have found my perfect pistol. Perfect size, placement and everything for my hands when using the weaver stance.

Too bad i got this 'oh you have a 1911, just like Steven Seagal' <_<

However whatever people say about them i can understand why they are still popular.

Plus i have yet to find a pistol equal to the 1911 for use at other times, not like i haven't been trying :P

'FireKnife'

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

Well think about it this way, Tom Selleck (yes Magnum PI) is a huge fan of the 1911 design and owns loads of them. My favourite pistol is my Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II. I've got some wood grips on it now and it looks incredible.

Steven Seagal did some good films in the 80s and early 90s lol. It's always great to see a 1911 on screen.

The 1911 is a pure bred combat pistol. What other pistol had a 60+ year service record with a Military organisation? I can't think of one. Hell the 1911 is still used by the more elite units in the US Military like Delta or the Green Berets, The design is 100 years old and it is still used today, what other pistol has that track record? There isn't one. People might say "but you can put 50,000 rounds through a Glock without needing to clean it" I say you should clean your pistol even if you put one round through it. A Glock is a law enforcement pistol, not a combat pistol. I know which i would trust with my life. And the 1911 is the most customisable weapon every built with thousands possibly even millions of after market parts available.

Matt when the hell did you become a 1911 guru?? lol really enjoying your conversation here guys, very interesting. I'm getting a 1911 for my nam kit (hopefully Darthwhite's if he gets back to me) so I'll be joining the brotherhood soon!

Edited by spetsnazdave87
The 1911 is a pure bred combat pistol. What other pistol had a 60+ year service record with a Military organisation? I can't think of one. Hell the 1911 is still used by the more elite units in the US Military like Delta or the Green Berets, The design is 100 years old and it is still used today, what other pistol has that track record? There isn't one. People might say "but you can put 50,000 rounds through a Glock without needing to clean it" I say you should clean your pistol even if you put one round through it. A Glock is a law enforcement pistol, not a combat pistol. I know which i would trust with my life. And the 1911 is the most customisable weapon every built with thousands possibly even millions of after market parts available.

If i remember rightly it is 74 years that the 1911 and 1911A1 was officially the US Army handgun, the Beretta was accepted for service in 1985, but didn't really replace the 1911A1 truly until the 90's with many units still sticking to the 1911 due to the stopping power, availability of custom parts and the fact they have used it since day one. Considering that at the time the 1911 was designed it could have the power to be carried as a primary (which against bolt actions and static machine guns was entirely possible) where as modern 9mm are designed for police carry or as a compliment to the main weapon rather than an equal or replacement.

As for Steven Seagal he has never made a good movie, he just has a collection of 1911's and that is all that is good about him :P

And finally, pink Alien grips, i have seen it all now :D

'FireKnife'

• Like 1

While I can't stand Seagal's films I always feel a little sorry for him when people take the mick out of him.

Unlike a lot of 'action stars', the man can actually shoot- very well- and he knows his stuff when it comes to martial arts too. He's just a bit of a cock.

Edited by spetsnazdave87
Unlike a lot of 'action stars', the man can actually shoot- very well- and he knows his stuff when it comes to martial arts too. He's just a bit of a cock.

True, i have only seen him flinch once in a film when firing a gun.

But his singing career, well erm, just no.

Though hi Lawman show isn't too bad, bit like all the other US cop shows but at least he actually does something rather than just make bad films.

I did look into his firing technique and it is very odd, lots of moving about, waving the gun and firing using instinct rather than sights. That and getting 15 rounds out of a single stack 1911 :P

'FireKnife'

Edited by FireKnife

Nico was a good film as was Marked For Death and Under Siege was very good, but a lot of that was down to Tommy Lee Jones' performance to be honest lol.

The flinching thing depends how used to firing guns you are. With Michael Mann he has the actors trained using live ammo and the training is very intensive. They get used to not blinking when shooting. Most films don't bother with an intensive firearms training program because the average person won't notice, but a director like Michael Mann is a perfectionist and want's the actors to become the characters they are portraying so he has training programs designed for the actors to mirror what the characters would go through themselves.

Nico was bearable and Under Siege was just funny, but even his early work like The Patriot was ######.

As for the training i find that even after training some actors still flinch as a natural reaction to gunfire. I have even seen airsofters that flinch due to a GBB going off, which always makes me laugh. However i find that the more i concentrate on a long shot, the more likely i am to blink rather than flinch.

Micheal Mann just has an obssesion with new guns that run .45 hence why in all his non-period films and Miami Vice they all had the latest hardware that made the biggest bang, like the D&D Bren Ten and Detonics Combat Master in MV and the .45 handguns in Heat and Collateral. Even in Public Enemies you can see the odd technique from the 80's in it, in fact back then cocked and locked carry was frowned upon so the fact every one with a 1911 is using it is a bit off. But that is picking the little bits up, nothing the general public would care about.

And while i am here, how about a new family shot:

pict00022y.jpg

'FireKnife'

Your detonics needs a black outer barrel!

Nah, and too bad they don't do one anyway, i prefer that sliver barrel on the black slide look, like the Custom and Custom 2 by Kimber. Considering there already is quite a few silver things on the Detonics they all fit together.

'FireKnife'

They really don't make a black outer barrel for the detonics? Dang.

As far as i know, no they don't make one. All the outers i have seen are silver, on both model colours.

However as a few of the parts are silver it isn't that bad, would be odd if it was the only silver part :P

'FireKnife'

Just get a silver one and a bit of Kylon :P

As for Michael Mann's obsession with .45s, I think it's great that he has an obsession for the .45, it's so much more practical. The 9mm is less powerful and over penetrates. The .45 is a one shot stopper in most cases. If I were doing a job that required the use of a firearm I would have a .45 because I trust that when I put a round in someone they will go down and that round won't pass straight through them.

Personally i prefer the 1911 for the natural fit that it gives over other, more modern guns (particularly squared double stackers that have little rounded edges).

I have seen that whole thing about the .45 man-stopper, however considering that you can run rounds like the .357 SIG that can achieve lower end .357 Magnum power in a regular handgun it has kind of lost its power that it once had. From what i have heard (and hope one day to get to try at a range) the .45 has lower psi and pressure and is more comfortable to shoot than a 9mm.

However in airsoft i just run heavier weight bbs in the .45's, makes me feel a little different and that i am actually using it differently to the lower weights but higher capacities that i get in other guns (i only fill a 1911A1 mag with 21 rather than 26 rounds, means i never suffer a lack of gas in the mag).

'FireKnife'

I use .3g BBs in my Kimber. And the 1911 is the perfect fit for my hands as well. I still would take a .45 over any other round because it's like the 1911, combat proven. Like you mentioned earlier the 1911 could have been used as a primary because it had equal stopping power to most weapons in WWII. It's amazing that a 100 year old design is still preferred by a lot of people/shooters over modern designs. But it just proves how perfect the design was. John Browning was a genius.

It's amazing that a 100 year old design is still preferred by a lot of people/shooters over modern designs.

I think 50% of that is the same reason the Armalite is so popular, American patriotism and the desire to let nothing they have ever made die out. Plus it was born from a country founded on firearm ownership. But the fact that the Browning Action is in most of the modern pistol that aren't straight blowback must mean something.

But it just proves how perfect the design was. John Browning was a genius.

Odd that he didn't like it and built the HP-35 to 'put right' what he claims was wrong on the 1911 design. However the M1911 didn't have all the slide cracking and refitting issues that the M9 had, just shows what happens when you buy a pistol for your army as it is the cheapest :P

'FireKnife'