1911 Picture Thread

P1010959.jpg

P1010970.jpg

P1020005.jpg

P1010961.jpg

In the hope of making up for using post #1911 on a normal reply, and given which year it is, I fired an e-mail off to mike at ESC. Lots of work and a few hundred quid later, I have this great heavy beast.

• Tokyo Marui M.E.U. Base gun
  • HurricanE Kimber Covert II Aluminium kit (details of everything included in the kit here)
  • Guarder Steel outer barrel in black
  • Nineball Hop-up bucking
  • PDI Raven 6.01mm Inner barrel
  • TM Strike Warrior MSH and flared magwell
  • COLT Rubber grip set*
  • TM Night Warrior Hex head grip screws*

*Added myself

I've written up a more in-depth review here.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

Wow Choosker, that is an extremely early Laser Products 610. The area where the extended slide stop goes through is a lower profile than later models, which would make the slide stop shorter than most 610 slide stops. The company name also appears cast into the housing rather than being some kind of thick, rubbery sticker like on later models. Laser Products first came out with that line of weapon light systems back in 1986. I guess your 610 is one of the very first generations of the Laser Products classic system, which makes it even more rare than later models of that system. Nice piece of Laser Products / Surefire history, man!

CKinnerley, beautiful Hurricane Covert-Set (or is there a native WA model?). Everything fitted well? I had lots of trouble with my Kimber SIS kit.

But you should definitely upgrade the grips. Those plastic cheapy Colt-Grips are not suitable for a high grade custom Kimber. ;)

Choosker, wtf is this rubber thing for? Buy yourself some propper grips. Then you don't need those stupid frame condoms that disables the main savety feature of your 1911 (therefore the gun is always hot and likely to go off, if cocked and thumb savety not active). There are a lot of propper and even aggressive grip cuts that work well with normal and sweaty skin and with gloves. The G10 Gunner grips and the equivalents by VZ grips are extremly aggressive (good for gloves). But nice WA Wilson Combat there. Good to see those in action.

CKinnerley, beautiful Hurricane Covert-Set (or is there a native WA model?). Everything fitted well? I had lots of trouble with my Kimber SIS kit.

But you should definitely upgrade the grips. Those plastic cheapy Colt-Grips are not suitable for a high grade custom Kimber. ;)

No idea about anything WA to be honest, just a TM MEU with the HurricanE kit. I didn't do the work myself, and since the guy who runs ESC is far more of an expert I left that job it in his hands. He certainly got everything to fit and work smoothly, and I can't see any filing marks on the insides so I guess it must've all gone together fine.

I'm aware the Colt grips are hardly gucci or high-end, but the only place I know of to buy grips for 1911s (outside of airsoft stuff) is Midway, and I went through their entire selection and couldn't see anything I liked that wasn't made of metal, so went with the rubber set. They may be cheap and I will look to change them fairly soon, but they do fit perfectly, the interface with your hand is excellent and they make the pistol very comfortable to hold. So I've got no issues with 'em.

Edited by CKinnerley

Choosker, wtf is this rubber thing for? Buy yourself some propper grips. Then you don't need those stupid frame condoms that disables the main savety feature of your 1911 (therefore the gun is always hot and likely to go off, if cocked and thumb savety not active). There are a lot of propper and even aggressive grip cuts that work well with normal and sweaty skin and with gloves. The G10 Gunner grips and the equivalents by VZ grips are extremly aggressive (good for gloves). But nice WA Wilson Combat there. Good to see those in action.

SamJacksonFan, I'm used to work with hot handguns (in the shooting field, too) but the main reason is the tail switch (not a R series :angry: ) and I don't want to put velcro on the gun. But I'll take a look on other grips (too bad my Pachmyars doesn't works with the Wilson Combat).

Where did you get the long mag Choosker?

Imperator, it came with the 1911 (WA Wilson Combat DX edition) but I'm searching a few more (about 7 :P )

Wow Choosker, that is an extremely early Laser Products 610. The area where the extended slide stop goes through is a lower profile than later models, which would make the slide stop shorter than most 610 slide stops. The company name also appears cast into the housing rather than being some kind of thick, rubbery sticker like on later models. Laser Products first came out with that line of weapon light systems back in 1986. I guess your 610 is one of the very first generations of the Laser Products classic system, which makes it even more rare than later models of that system. Nice piece of Laser Products / Surefire history, man!

Payne, that's a great history, It's even older than I thought, thanks for the info!. From what I've been told, that was the last one forgotten on a corner on the surefire main warehouse found by "mistake" :D

I have too the old-school L30 module (with 2 bulbs), I promise to take photos of the beauty with the Safariland 3004 for 1911/610 and the Safariland 6004 for 1911/310 :)

SamJacksonFan, I'm used to work with hot handguns (in the shooting field, too) but the main reason is the tail switch (not a R series :angry: ) and I don't want to put velcro on the gun. But I'll take a look on other grips (too bad my Pachmyars doesn't works with the Wilson Combat).

Imperator, it came with the 1911 (WA Wilson Combat DX edition) but I'm searching a few more (about 7 :P )

Payne, that's a great history, It's even older than I thought, thanks for the info!. From what I've been told, that was the last one forgotten on a corner on the surefire main warehouse found by "mistake" :D

I have too the old-school L30 module (with 2 bulbs), I promise to take photos of the beauty with the Safariland 3004 for 1911/610 and the Safariland 6004 for 1911/310 :)

If you do find the long mags, be sure to publicitate it here! :P Very nice piece you have there!

Edited by Imperator

Colt grips on a Kimber are not sexy … but they work. ;)<_< Maybe have a look on VZ grips. I myself had a very pleasant outcome wiht my first order. They deliver for Nighthawk Custom and others. Maybe an option.

Choosker, shure I guess you can handle the gun. No doubt. It though is not optimal to dissable a safety feature. But I guess you'll run fine with the rubber. But nice 1911 on the out of the holster look.

They were in stock at hk shops just last month but they're all sold out now. Seems like a very limited production. I never saw them in the past 3 year before that.

Thanks man! ;)

The problem with HK shops, even if they were in stock there, is the costums office here, when the package would arrive...

Thanks man! ;)

The problem with HK shops, even if they were in stock there, is the costums office here, when the package would arrive...

at $65 per mag I can't say it would be worth it either. 1 for pics would be cool I guess... I would never skirmish with a mag that expensive. I've had dozens of WA mags in the past few years, never bought a single new one, its just not worth it. I'd rather buy a used one and replace the seal with a NIB one from sanko. Plus the newer ones have paint that chips practically instantly. The older 15rd mags were made way better.

Edited by lazyshark

Regarding the Hurricane Kimber SIS on Page 106:

The Original also has this kind of grayish and glossy finish … looks like some powdercoating.

Hurricane maybe made it a bit too gray for my taste. But otherwise kit is nice. But a pain to make it work … at least on my model.

KIMBER%20SIS%20CUSTOM%20RL.jpg

Nice Springfield: The Hammer is nice, wasn't this the kind of hammer on the MEU Type No.1 (first model with high profile sights)?

I would think over the beavertail. This Hicapa 4.3 doesn't fit a 1911 frame. feels like chopped off a piece and unbalanced. With a nice Springfield type beavertail would look pretty nice.

You like the old style A1 mainspringhousing? I feel on a nodern sighted (Novak or other sights) 1911 the straight hammer spring housing fits the look better.

And trigger is not my taste eighter. But the nice thing about all of that: Taste is not to discuss. It's just the way one personally likes things. :)

Edited by SamJacksonFan