1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

First line: "Quick question"

LOL

I got really carried away with my posts....XD

Anyway, as promised, pics of the Kimber SIS! :D

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Also, a PGC 1911 barrel and the Bell 1911 barrel will work as a drop in fit to the gun and allow it to shoot without jamming; the Kimber chrome barrel that comes with the fit jams the gun when a magazine is inserted and the slide is cycled via green gas (slide will not jam if the slide is cycled manually).

Okay, much quicker question LOL.

If I wanted to put a Shooters Design 5.1 slide on the TM Night warrior, would I need to buy any additional bushing or guide rod?

I know the Night Warrior takes 5.1 slides, but the guide rod config confuses the hell out of me

I think this is correct--if not someone will correct it.

There are two kinds of recoil plugs--the "blind" ones (1911 style) and the ones with a hole in them (hi-capa style).

Each style forms a set with a spring guide (short--1911; long--hi-capa) and a spring length (slightly different).

So long as you have a complete set of one or the other they should be interchangeable on slides.

Except... that Shooters Design are a little quirky--most SD slides are provided with the recoil plug as part of the kit, and when I've tried to push a different brand plug into the SD machined hole, it wouldn't fit.

Anyway, as promised, pics of the Kimber SIS! :D

Also, a PGC 1911 barrel and the Bell 1911 barrel will work as a drop in fit to the gun and allow it to shoot without jamming; the Kimber chrome barrel that comes with the fit jams the gun when a magazine is inserted and the slide is cycled via green gas (slide will not jam if the slide is cycled manually).

Odd. The kit barrel is OK on mine.

SIS003.jpg

Edited by mimesis

Odd. The kit barrel is OK on mine.

Nice Kimber SIS :P

Illusion on AirsoftCanada wrote to me on the 1911/hicapa FAQ that he found the Hurricane Kits to be manufactured inconsistently. Granted he was talking about the Kimber Custom Covert II and how 4 of the kits he got only had one that was drop in fit, the rest had different problems related to moulding flash near the BBU, the barrel jamming (like my SIS kit), and some other issues regarding the fitments of the slide itself. Since both the SIS and the Covert came from the same manufacturer I suppose we can say whatever issues Illusion encountered with the Covert kits the same is true for the SIS and Desert Warrior kits.

As such I suppose you're really lucky that yours is a complete drop-in fit? :P I count myself lucky too since it's only the barrel that's giving me problems. The Covert kit I got for my friend was such a *badgeress* to install that after 4 hours of trying to fit everything together me and him gave up and decided to bring it to a gunsmith instead XD

Oh also am I right to assume the kits are uniquely serial numbered? My SIS kit is number 110, what's yours? :P

Is that Tanio Koba part essentially the same as the Airsoft Surgeon slide guide, or does this have a different function?

http://www.airsoftglobal.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=634_239&products_id=14295

Yes its identical in function to the TK slide spacer.

Ok great. but is the Hi capas BBU the same as the MEUs? because i only have an MEU and its BBU to fit the hi capa slide.

The MEU BBH is different to the Hi-capas but will fit the Hi-capa slide OK. Actually the MEU BBH is a universal type and will fit all of the TM 1911 style pistols.

Hope that helps guys ;)

P.S: Hurricane kits are usually a drop fit but like all things you will on occasion get 'rogue' ones that fall the through the QA net. Ive installed a Hurricane Desert Warrior kit to a friends MEU and it was a pleasure to do, with no jams or malfunctions but you must lap the slide by racking it for a good while to bed it in and get a smooth cycle action.

The jamming barrel you speak of 'intenirious' is more than likley due to the lugs and mortices locking up. Not suficient depth allowed in the moulding of the Lugs and also poor fit to hop unit so barrel is forced into a non-alignment with slide mortices, it would seem to me.

Edited by MrManiac

Nice Kimber SIS :P

Oh also am I right to assume the kits are uniquely serial numbered? My SIS kit is number 110, what's yours? :P

On the right side of the frame I've got K000393.

Are those Ready Fighter mag bases you've got fitted?

Other differences I'm noticing: trigger (3 hole/solid) and hammer. See pic.

SIS006.jpg

Edited by mimesis

On the right side of the frame I've got K000393.

Are those Ready Fighter mag bases you've got fitted?

Other differences I'm noticing: trigger (3 hole/solid) and hammer. See pic.

Ah so they are unique, thanks for confirming! :P

Yeah its the readyfighter mag bases....they were HKD130 at DEN Trinity, comes in a pack of three. Thought they are good but a few mag drops will start to break the plastic where the retention pins hold it in place. I've fixed some of the cracks with superglue (works wonders on the plastic for some reason) but because of the thin plastic near the pin holes and the bigger lever arm that the base allows you to 'hook' your finger onto the mag (from the front of the mag) the readyfighter kimber base plates are gonna break quicker than the wilson combat style ones.

The hammer on mine is a ProG4 one and the trigger is a NOVA trigger. I initially had plans to build a NOVA kitted MEU but when I saw the discount of the SIS kit at UNCompany I just HAD to get it XD

Hurricane kits are usually a drop fit but like all things you will on occasion get 'rogue' ones that fall the through the QA net. Ive installed a Hurricane Desert Warrior kit to a friends MEU and it was a pleasure to do, with no jams or malfunctions but you must lap the slide by racking it for a good while to bed it in and get a smooth cycle action.

The jamming barrel you speak of 'intenirious' is more than likley due to the lugs and mortices locking up. Not suficient depth allowed in the moulding of the Lugs and also poor fit to hop unit so barrel is forced into a non-alignment with slide mortices, it would seem to me.

Sorry couldn't reply to your post since Arnies was down for two days for me.

I've exchanged a few posts with Illusion on ASC and he said that he found the Hurricane kits to be manufactured inconsistently across all three Kimbers. The barrel is indeed locking up with the lugs on the slide (I think primarily the rear one) since after a few good sessions of trying to rack the gun to submission I've noticed very faint lines of scratches on my Kimber barrel and some of the paint wearing out on the rear lug (albeit faintly). I've given my Kimber to get the barrel sorted out by a local gunsmith since he lives closer to the gunsmith's place so any work the gunsmith does should probably be lightly grinding off the rear lug of the slide...I'll see what else he'd have done once I get my gun back and make sure all the aftermarket parts I've installed aren't missing (just in case...I find it unlikely that the smith will remove or replace any of my aftermarket parts since he's somewhat reputable especially within the international school / westerners airsoft scene in Hong Kong from what I can tell).

By the way, can anyone tell me whether the WA 1911 recoil spring plugs fit the marui slide and recoil spring and bushing? I'm asking this because I want to use the flat faced recoil spring guide so as to imitate the real SIS but for TM based 1911s no airsoft brand makes the particular recoil spring plug style that I want. WA makes them (and have it on their version of the Kimber SIS) so if the WA plug fits I'll scour the airsoft shops for a spare WA recoil spring plug.

By the way, can anyone tell me whether the WA 1911 recoil spring plugs fit the marui slide and recoil spring and bushing? I'm asking this because I want to use the flat faced recoil spring guide so as to imitate the real SIS but for TM based 1911s no airsoft brand makes the particular recoil spring plug style that I want. WA makes them (and have it on their version of the Kimber SIS) so if the WA plug fits I'll scour the airsoft shops for a spare WA recoil spring plug.

Ive used WAs guide rods and springs before now and they fitted fine in TM 1911 pistols (My Wilson KZ-9 still has its one fitted!) but why dont you just grind down the checkered face of the standard 1911a1 plug till its smooth then 'key' it with sandpaper for a coat of paint? I did this with my custom made AMT Hardballer 6 inch I did a while back. Check it out on my YouTube page link in my signature ;)

Ive used WAs guide rods and springs before now and they fitted fine in TM 1911 pistols (My Wilson KZ-9 still has its one fitted!) but why dont you just grind down the checkered face of the standard 1911a1 plug till its smooth then 'key' it with sandpaper for a coat of paint? I did this with my custom made AMT Hardballer 6 inch I did a while back. Check it out on my YouTube page link in my signature ;)

I've seen your vids before on customisation of the 1911s, they're very good I must say :P

The problem is I don't want to spend the time doing it as I'm busy with research and course work in Uni and I don't have access to a dremel for grinding :P I also highly doubt whether I can get the same smooth finish as the production WA recoil plugs compared to one where I just modify the stock Marui one so I don't want to risk spending some 2-3 hours grinding and sanding away from the stock plug only to find out I screwed up later or it doesn't look as appealing as the stock WA one as I like.

Thanks for the suggestion and information though, I appreciate it! :P Btw, you said you've used guide rods and springs; but that's not the same as the recoil spring plug and that's what I'm concerned with. 3 things jump out at me if I want to use the WA plug:

1. Does the plug fit the marui 1911 spring (well I run the Hurricane one but I suppose the dimensions be the same) or do I have to use a WA one?

2. Does the plug fit the frame of the Marui 1911 (if it does then I suppose the dimensions are the same with the Marui plug hence it'll fit in my Hurricane kit).

3. Does the plug fit the marui bushing when it is locked into place? If the circumference of the plug is larger or smaller than the one where the bushing locks into place; either the plug won't fit or the bushing will wobble around in the slide.

Anyway thanks again for your help MrManiac :P

Edited by intinerious

My current 1911 collection - all Western Arms, all full metal. Almost all Prime kits with custom bits and grips.

img6639n.jpg

img6643p.jpg

- SFA V12 Face Off edition matt gold

- SFA V12 Face Off edition brass

- Kimber Ultra CDPII

- Kimber Raptor II two tone

- SFA V10 frame with Tommy Franks slide

- Tommy Franks SFA frame with V10 ported slide (all black)

- MMC Tiki ported with MS engraving

- Prime Tiki with SV hogue grips (WA Tiki based)

• Like 1