1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

Just to ask why did you pin the grip safety? Never got why people defeat a safety device like that one? :P

I mean i can see why on a Detoncis where it is not feasible due to the size but a full size, hmmmm.

Also CALLAHAN_88 how is the grip? Seems like it is interfering with that ambi safety on the left side? As for the gun, Desert Warrior slide and frame internals mated to a MEU frame?

'FireKnife'

If it's good enough for Big Boss, it's plenty good enough for you. Mmmmmk?? :cookiemonster:

But Solid / Old Snake prefers his un-pinned therefore it is the better option :P

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/7/75/MGS4-Operator.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/f/f3/MGS4-GSR.jpg

So meh :P.

Still i just can't see the need in pinning it unless it is loose, but each to their own, have heard that pinning is more the preference of competiton shooters in IPSC (not allowed in IDPA from what i know due it being more defence based) rather than military and defence shooters.

'FireKnife'

But Solid / Old Snake prefers his un-pinned therefore it is the better option :P

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/f/f3/MGS4-GSR.jpg

So meh :P.

Still i just can't see the need in pinning it unless it is loose, but each to their own, have heard that pinning is more the preference of competiton shooters in IPSC (not allowed in IDPA from what i know due it being more defence based) rather than military and defence shooters.

'FireKnife'

Variety of reasons, for competition it has a few advantages:

- The grip has the same shape, always

- There is nothing making pressure against you (makes it somewhat easier to pull the trigger badly for people with small hands)

- Sometimes when picking the thing up in a rush your grip won't be perfect and having that safety pushing against your hand doesn't help matters

- Makes the grip constantly slimmer for people with small hands.

Also apparently some people do not depress the safety fully (big handed people IIRC) so the trigger gets a little wonky.

And if you search the interwebs people give all kinds of reasons, mine is: it's more comfortable for me.

Also, big boss >> old snake.

If it's good enough for Big Boss, it's plenty good enough for you. Mmmmmk?? :cookiemonster:

Damn right.

Not a big MGS fan, only played one, but is that IMFDB picture basically this?

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=WA-PS-WLWR&search=searchItem&rs=mc%20operator&catid=&cat=

Edited by bladerunner168

I'm not sure whether it's the rendition in the game or the WA that's different to the original Springfield (probably both to a small extent) but on a basic level they're based on the same 1911. Wouldn't be all that hard to make one that's 'close enough' to the game version using that WA. Think I saw one once on here actually, fair old while back though.

Just to ask why did you pin the grip safety? Never got why people defeat a safety device like that one? :P

Some real steel 1911's (including high end models) can be a bit problematic regarding the grip safety. The general rule of thumb by most 1911 gun smiths is that a grip safety is flawed when you have to depress it MORE than 50% of the grip safety's travel before the gun fires. This weekend I was at a 2 day adv. handgun class taught by Larry Vickers, former Delta operator and considered by many an authority on the 1911 platform. One of the students was having issues with his 1911's grip safety. Larry was very clear that in this day and age, the grip safety was absolutely redundant given that the 1911 already has a mechanical safety on the side of the gun and that if the grip safety was giving the student issues, he should without a doubt pin it immediately after class. So long as you're cocked but with mechanical safety on, there's no reason why that's unsafe, including while holstered.

Variety of reasons, for competition it has a few advantages:

- The grip has the same shape, always

- There is nothing making pressure against you (makes it somewhat easier to pull the trigger badly for people with small hands)

- Sometimes when picking the thing up in a rush your grip won't be perfect and having that safety pushing against your hand doesn't help matters

- Makes the grip constantly slimmer for people with small hands.

Also apparently some people do not depress the safety fully (big handed people IIRC) so the trigger gets a little wonky.

And if you search the interwebs people give all kinds of reasons, mine is: it's more comfortable for me.

All of which i know and all of which can be changed with good training or a speed bumped safety :P.

But still it is a personal choice thing but i just never got defeating a safety in that way.

Sort of, with a few changes. Though still not as good as the correct Big Boss one, just proof that Old Snake prefers his safties activated :P.

Some real steel 1911's (including high end models) can be a bit problematic regarding the grip safety. The general rule of thumb by most 1911 gun smiths is that a grip safety is flawed when you have to depress it MORE than 50% of the grip safety's travel before the gun fires. This weekend I was at a 2 day adv. handgun class taught by Larry Vickers, former Delta operator and considered by many an authority on the 1911 platform. One of the students was having issues with his 1911's grip safety. Larry was very clear that in this day and age, the grip safety was absolutely redundant given that the 1911 already has a mechanical safety on the side of the gun and that if the grip safety was giving the student issues, he should without a doubt pin it immediately after class. So long as you're cocked but with mechanical safety on, there's no reason why that's unsafe, including while holstered.

Noted and heard of many times this has been the case. But again it is defeting a safety device, if you have that thumb safety on and it gets caught or knocked off, easy with an extended one, it will then be missing the grip safety too and more likely to lead to an issue. I must admit in airsoft i have found one or two 1911 designs that don't have a good grip safety but this is a parts issue, not an issue with the person. If you train from the start using the grip safety on then it will become a lot easier. Larry Vickers sounds like he is used to having it pinned and that suits him, but as said i would rather take an extra bit of time to learn how the grip safety on my airsoft 1911s functions and feels so i have that little extra safety. Each to there own, just pointing out i never really got why defeat something that is an added safety feature? :P

'FireKnife'

bla bla bla

Here's my take on it, it's his gun, he's happy and it works, debating it in a picture thread wont alter it,

And here's a picture ;)

fm1911.jpg

new to me Kimber Warrior in ###### colour :P and my new PGC 1911 Military to the left :D all my TM built 1911, now I just NEED a chrome S70/black S70 kit to be readily available :)

Edited by Aitch

Here's my take on it, it's his gun, he's happy and it works, debating it in a picture thread wont alter it,

And here's a picture ;)

new to me Kimber Warrior in ###### colour :P and my new PGC 1911 Military to the left :D all my TM built 1911, now I just NEED a chrome S70/black S70 kit to be readily available :)

Not a fan of the grips on your bling framed kimber.. otherwise it's great. That nighthawk and SA operator make my pants moist...

I just found different coloured Nighthawk grips on the net as I found the black ones to be a bit boring, OD will do, I'm awaiting a reply from the seller to see if he'll ship to the UK, it's a bit of a pain having to beg them to take my money :P