1911 Picture Thread

Nice! How did you managed to retrofit a magwell for single stack? 

and for rear serration you have to get gold of special gunsmithing 20/30 lpi file, but not sure if it will work with abs...

I cut an old frame up and fitted it around the base of the original. Its pinned, superglued and also glued with MrCement'S' model glue which seems to like ABS plastic and melts it just right for blending in etc. When dry I filed the inner magwell funnel to be wider.

The serrations to the rear sight aren't the best but they are saw cut and filed by hand :unsure: . As you say I could do with a 20/30LPI metal file which should work for MIM aswell as ABS. I just have to be a bit more careful with it than when used on metal.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

God no I didn't do it, I've no clue about pistol internals.  ESC had it on sale and bladerunner was selling a G-Code 1911 holster for a very attractive price at the same time, and I'd been wanting one for ages, so it seemed like fate was calling me.  Problem is now I want a more fancy light and need another SOC cowling...

I've watched a lot of your videos and I wish I had that sort of knowledge with regards working on pistols.  Personally I've decided it makes more economic sense at this point to focus on doing ARs sort-of well and paying other people to do the pistols who have infinitely more skill and experience than I do.  I've had to fettle a 1911 leaf spring once and that was a bloody pain.

Edited by CKinnerley
Love the Series 70. Reminds me of my first real-steel IPSC carry 1911. The one thing we all did with Series 70 1911's was to dump that POS accurizer bushing and install a older style solid bushing. The reason being that the spring like fingers of the newer bushig has a real nasty habit of breaking during sustained shooting. If that happened, the only way to remove the slide from the frame to correct the problem was to cut the front of the slide off as most of the bushings wouldnt turn to be removed and the broken part wouldnt allow you to pull back the slide far enough to remove the slide stop. Probably not a issue with an airsoft pistol but I'd change it just out of habit.

Guess I'm going to have to buy one now (sigh-gonna make the wife mad I guess-she should be used to it after 33 years eh). You do some real nice work sir!

Love the Series 70. Reminds me of my first real-steel IPSC carry 1911. The one thing we all did with Series 70 1911's was to dump that POS accurizer bushing and install a older style solid bushing. The reason being that the spring like fingers of the newer bushig has a real nasty habit of breaking during sustained shooting. If that happened, the only way to remove the slide from the frame to correct the problem was to cut the front of the slide off as most of the bushings wouldnt turn to be removed and the broken part wouldnt allow you to pull back the slide far enough to remove the slide stop. Probably not a issue with an airsoft pistol but I'd change it just out of habit.

Guess I'm going to have to buy one now (sigh-gonna make the wife mad I guess-she should be used to it after 33 years eh). You do some real nice work sir!

Yes ive heard about the 'colleted' accurizing bushing and the problems with them on RS series70s.  Pity as the idea was sound and if the barrels were fitted right they worked. Colt's quality control at the time however was none to good so many broke. Not an issue with airsoft as far less stresses are involved.

Well im sure when your wife see's the airsoft version she'll love it as TM have really gone to town and made it worthy of anyones armoury.

Many thanks for the compliments regards my work ;)

God no I didn't do it, I've no clue about pistol internals.  ESC had it on sale and bladerunner was selling a G-Code 1911 holster for a very attractive price at the same time, and I'd been wanting one for ages, so it seemed like fate was calling me.  Problem is now I want a more fancy light and need another SOC cowling...

I've watched a lot of your videos and I wish I had that sort of knowledge with regards working on pistols.  Personally I've decided it makes more economic sense at this point to focus on doing ARs sort-of well and paying other people to do the pistols who have infinitely more skill and experience than I do.  I've had to fettle a 1911 leaf spring once and that was a bloody pain.

Ha ha! Yes trigger work and especially the leaf spring area are a pain to set up correctly, many a time has the air turned blue for me whilst doing this! Good luck with the AR work. Now thats an area im not familiar with  :unsure:  each to his own :)

tnx guys,

if anyone is interested in how much weight u lose if u change the grips here are the stats,

tm original grips with weights = 150g 

hogue rosewood grips = 20g

hogue fake ivory polymer grips = 60g

(both rs grips came from http://www.hogueauction.com/)

the only other part i may change in the future is the hammer, im wondering can i fit other hammers without having to change or mod the grip safety ?

cheers

You could fit a ring hammer, but it would require you sanding or doing something to the grip safety.

If only the 4.3 standard Hi-Capa safety would fit, that way you could run ring hammers with a very short beavertail :P.

Also, where is my Nickel Finish Series 70. I want my damn TM based Coltonics :D.

'FireKnife'

MMMM nickel S70, pearl grips waiting, I've bonded bone colt medallion grips in the drawer too for when I bother picking up a black S70,

<pedant mode>FK, if you mate a nickel S70 with a black S70 you'll get a two tone S70 (well you'll get two) but they'll never be a coltonics </pedant mode> :D

MMMM nickel S70, pearl grips waiting, I've bonded bone colt medallion grips in the drawer too for when I bother picking up a black S70,

<pedant mode>FK, if you mate a nickel S70 with a black S70 you'll get a two tone S70 (well you'll get two) but they'll never be a coltonics </pedant mode> :D

*fruitcage* it, it is close enough for me and it stays all TM.

Plus aside from a few people how many really know that much about it and airsoft, I often have to explain that my Night Warrior is not a MEU, or that a Beta Spetz AK is not a AKS-74u :P

'FireKnife'