1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

Get a less chewed up pencil to hold it up? :P

Though as for the screws not sure, I think Mike at ESC had a set of thinner grip screws for sale but can't recall if he has them any more.

Failing that try US shops, your local hardware storee for similar ones or file / cut down what you have?

'FireKnife'

File down those screws?

If I filed down the screws to the point where they sat flat, there'd be nothing left to screw... literally all of the head screw is out of the grip.

Get a less chewed up pencil to hold it up? :P

Though as for the screws not sure, I think Mike at ESC had a set of thinner grip screws for sale but can't recall if he has them any more.

Failing that try US shops, your local hardware storee for similar ones or file / cut down what you have?

'FireKnife'

NEVER, that's the official pistol-holding-pencil. 

Again, I won't file those. so yeah, time to search for some screws.

On a related note, when nighthawk says SLIM grips, they're not kidding.

Edited by kenxin

Well I am not sure on how exact the dimensions are on TMs (I assume it is a TM) are to the real deal but slim grip screws can be gotten quite cheap from the US (well cheap until you add the postage).

Failing that surely someone in Europe has an interest in the 1911 enough for their parts to be made over here too, so might have some luck asking around.

Outside of that sorry I can't be more help.

'FireKnife'

Finally all the pieces came in..... still sporting a marui frame.....

Fnp9JsWh.jpg

70RGUM1h.jpg

I also need shorter/flatter screws..... any ideas?

Try Tercel 1911a1 screws, the heads are thinner by about 1.5mm, then just cut the threads down. Nice looking piece  B)  and the correct thumb safety. Where did you source that?

Sorry to re-post the pics in my quote but don't know how to stop it :unsure:

Edited by MrManiac

Try Tercel 1911a1 screws, the heads are thinner by about 1.5mm, then just cut the threads down. Nice looking piece  B)  and the correct thumb safety. Where did you source that?

Sorry to re-post the pics in my quote but don't know how to stop it :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestion. If you happen to come across a NOVA/PGC frame to spare, do tell : P. I sourced the thumb safety in the good nature of Mr.Hwagan, original owner of the piece.

To remove the pictures, edit the quote. Select the picture and just hit delete.

It feels so weird to have a metal slide but plastic framed 1911...

I have looked through a few of these pages now and have not seen one extended mag release. I normally shoot my pistols with one hand and when using my awful WE Dragon Hi Capa, struggle to release the slide with my thumb. Dumb question maybe but my TM XDM is fine doing it with one hand.

I really want to build a Kimber Hi Capa, should I go for it and get an extended mag release or learn how to use a pistol properly?

I have looked through a few of these pages now and have not seen one extended mag release. I normally shoot my pistols with one hand and when using my awful WE Dragon Hi Capa, struggle to release the slide with my thumb. Dumb question maybe but my TM XDM is fine doing it with one hand.

I really want to build a Kimber Hi Capa, should I go for it and get an extended mag release or learn how to use a pistol properly?

Well ESC has 1911 ones at £25 in a sale at the moment.

If not you could use the roll in the hand technique to bring the slide catch to your thumb.

'FireKnife'

• Like 1

Wonderful job! care to post a parts list?

EDIT: Sigh....double post. It wasn't me, I swear.

Sure. I didn't really want to spend 50-70 bucks a part for the more boutique brands, so this gun was more labor intensive than expensive.

Base guns:

- Tercel 1911A1 frame

- KJW MEU slide (I wanted this one in particular because of the untraded slide, I might add the serial number for a Drake slide in the future.)

Modified parts:

- I polished the sides of the slide with up to 2500 sandpaper, and also polished inside the front serrations.

- Polished A1 grip safety

- I pinned down the grip safety, so it is always off.

- I cut down the right side MEU ambi safety, and sanded the pin until it looked like a rolled one. I then polished the left side safety.

- Polished ring hammer from the MEU

- The blowback unit is modded to work flawlessly with the ring hammer.

- Fitted the MEU inner frame into the Tercel frame for a tight fit with the slide.

- Polished the original Tercel grip screws

- A polished feeding ramp for better feeding (not really, I just did it because the gun from the game ahs it XD)

- Tercel nozzle on MEU slide

- Tercel hop up chamber on MEU slide

- MEU leaf spring and hammer parts

Aftermarket parts:

- Element long slim slide stop for Marui Hi-Capa

- AIP aluminum trigger for Hi-Capa

- TSC CNC aluminum flat Main Spring Housing

- Nine Ball outer barrel SAS

- Wilson Combat blued checkered front strap

- 1911 Auto wood Combat Grips 

I'm probably forgetting one or two things in there, but should pretty much cover it!

Nice, but how is the hammer and grip safety mesh as I could never get a ring hammer to work with the A1 style grip safety.

Also polished metal flanks on the side I presume? Not a slide made that way.

'FireKnife'

They worked no problems, I just filed down a bit of the indentation on the blowback unit for better cycling, but that's it.

And yes, the slide has polished sides and front serrations, with very fine sandpaper. Otherwise, it's just a stock KJW MEU slide.

Fox.

Edited by Fox62
They worked no problems, I just filed down a bit of the indentation on the blowback unit for better cycling, but that's it.

And yes, the slide has polished sides and front serrations, with very fine sandpaper. Otherwise, it's just a stock KJW MEU slide.

Fox.

Ah I see. So it required a little work but not much. Then again yours is pinned, mine is still in use which would help to :P.

Still lovely looking 'as near as' design. If only there was one made that wasn't the rather expensive WA one, plus from what I have seen the model they have at the moment doesn't have polished slide flats now.

'FireKnife'

Ah I see. So it required a little work but not much. Then again yours is pinned, mine is still in use which would help to :P.

Still lovely looking 'as near as' design. If only there was one made that wasn't the rather expensive WA one, plus from what I have seen the model they have at the moment doesn't have polished slide flats now.

'FireKnife'

LOL, the WA? It's full plastic, wrong color scheme, it doesn't have a checkered front strap, has a similar MSH to mine (which has a horizontal design, but is far from the original), the grips on the WA are also plastic. So I'd say it's a really horrid, overly expensive, and inaccurate copy. For what you are paying, and considering it's a piece of plastic, they could had at least got all the details right.

Taking mine slightly further, you can make an exact copy of the MG gun if you put the work into it. I'm happy with what I've got though, I was never after an exact copy.

Fox.

Edited by Fox62

170 pages, and no 1911 inspired on Snake's Custom from Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4? Shame on you, guys

Fox.

Now that is a nice piece of kit. Top marks on an exceptional replica B)

170 pages without one huh? Weeelllll....may just be doing another very much like yours very soon :rolleyes:

Now that is a nice piece of kit. Top marks on an exceptional replica B)

170 pages without one huh? Weeelllll....may just be doing another very much like yours very soon :rolleyes:

If you put a little more money in it, you could correct a couple of things:

THIS is the correct grip safety, and it'll save you the trouble of sanding it down, it just costs more than a full new Tercel. You can try and find an A1 frame that has a checkered front strap, instead of using the Wilson Combat add. The trigger, you can start off a solid one, and have the holes custom driller to get the correct ones. Now, the tricky parts are the MSH and the sights, those you'd have to get custom made. My replica is nice for being made so cheaply, and with off the shelf parts, and just lots of work that can be done at home. Get it custom engraved with a NM serial (either snake's, or your own, which is what I might do in the future, meaning it's another custom NM slide).

Go a step further than my project!

Fox.

Edited by Fox62