1911 Picture Thread

i can machine most parts such as the threaded barrel as i am unsure if ther is a 4.3" threaded barrel on the market.

If you do start selling them en masse.

I am sure a lot of players would pay for such an item given the very limited options for a threaded barrel on their 4.3s.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

Doable? Yes. BUT not without some SERIOUS work on redesigning both a new slide and a new BBU.

See the problem with current availiable slides is.. there is not enough material to secure an RMR in there, the slide would have to be designed anew. Plus there aren't any tall sights availiable on the market.

A while ago I toyed with the idea of securing the RMR directly to a custom BBU, and machining the slide to accomodate that. 

On the current designs, even if you opened up the slide to accomodate the RMR, the space for the sights would be gone (since those also use the BBU for secure placement).

The best bet would be a custom BBU with a dovetail for RS sights (or for sighs in general) with  a place to screw the RMR into. That way the RMR would fit snuggly into the slide AND the bbu, securing it in place for good.

that would require alot of work but i will "practice" on the plastic slides to see what and what can't be done but my guess would be that i would either have to make a platform that would just grub screw into the slide on the sides or another option which i have seen is buy or manufacture a mount that will slide into the dovetail slot eliminating the chances of a rear iorn sight. it is an option but until i can start fiddling around with things i will not know for certain, i have access to a 3D scanner and 3D printer at work and with some CAD manipulation and some careful measruing i may be able to come up with something so stay tuned for this.

found what i hope to achieve

RMRMount2.jpg

RMRMount3.jpg

with an luck i can get hold of a RMR mount but the issue i have is that the one i need i can't ship over here from the USA which is a big bummer :(

Edited by Fellowz

The only way you're going to get this to work with any reasonable amount of effort is a custom mount like the one you've pictured that's attached to the top of the slide. There simply is not enough space in the slide above a standard BBU to 'sink' the RMR into it; if you look at similar weapons (like the Gunsmodify Salient kits) you'll see they have completely custom BBUs, nozzles, the works.

i have access to a 3D scanner and 3D printer at work

Oh really? I'll file that information away - I might have some business for you later this year.

with an luck i can get hold of a RMR mount but the issue i have is that the one i need i can't ship over here from the USA which is a big bummer :(

There are several American members on this forum who may be happy to help you with shipping difficulties.

The only way you're going to get this to work with any reasonable amount of effort is a custom mount like the one you've pictured that's attached to the top of the slide. There simply is not enough space in the slide above a standard BBU to 'sink' the RMR into it; if you look at similar weapons (like the Gunsmodify Salient kits) you'll see they have completely custom BBUs, nozzles, the works.

Oh really? I'll file that information away - I might have some business for you later this year.

There are several American members on this forum who may be happy to help you with shipping difficulties.

that shouldn’t be much of a problem, I have a good machine shop at work with people who are willing to make some parts for me if i cross their palm with silver, the other option would be to use the rear sight dovetail to make a mount for them to fit but the mount i have pictured is made of steel and may be a little heavy but even if i do purchase it i can always have it redone in work with some aluminium. the RMR replica is ordered so when it arrives i can have a closer look and practice a few solutions on the TM plastic frames as they are cheap and easy to source before i move on and purchase a metal slide of any description.

as long as this work you have in mind is relatively small i am more than happy to do it size limitations on some of the equipment stops me from making anything over 8" square in the 3D printers.

I have emailed the company regarding the mount if they don't ship i need a willing volunteer to ship it over to me :)

Edited by Fellowz
  • Like 1

is this Volante's power up BBU as good or if not better than the AIP one or the NOVA? ive used a few in the past and so far the only one i rate is the Airsoft Surgeon version.

i will most likely run this gun on green gas or propane and of course using the 40rd long mags with 30 rounds in them should give me enough bang for my buck.

Hi all, long time airsofter, first time poster.

I always admired the Springfield Operator, but since my technical knowledge is poor (and poor is an understatement) I asked Squad_701 for help in building one. I got the kit from Boomarms after searching for an Operator MBK that was not a full rail version.

Many thanks to Squad_701 for putting it together and for all those cups of tea. He has a very keen eye for detail.

IMG_3898_zpsc06fb8c8.jpg

IMG_3886_zps1460a74d.jpg

IMG_3875_zpsb3ee5c9e.jpg

IMG_3858_zps1a30faa5.jpg

The MBK is a Nova Operator, all external parts are Nova except the Detonator barrel. The grips are RS Springfield wooden grips, many thanks to Squad for sourcing them.

Btw, the photos are also by Squad_701, my photography skills are also lacking.

• Like 4

that would require alot of work but i will "practice" on the plastic slides to see what and what can't be done but my guess would be that i would either have to make a platform that would just grub screw into the slide on the sides or another option which i have seen is buy or manufacture a mount that will slide into the dovetail slot eliminating the chances of a rear iorn sight. it is an option but until i can start fiddling around with things i will not know for certain, i have access to a 3D scanner and 3D printer at work and with some CAD manipulation and some careful measruing i may be able to come up with something so stay tuned for this.

found what i hope to achieve

( Picture )

( Picture )

You may want to study GunsModify SAI kit closely if possible, what I mean is you do not necessary need custom BBU but a D shaped nozzle...... I would say a Detonics BBU may be a good start for a 1911 platform.

Hi all, long time airsofter, first time poster. I always admired the Springfield Operator, but since my technical knowledge is poor (and poor is an understatement) I asked Squad_701 for help in building one. I got the kit from Boomarms after searching for an Operator MBK that was not a full rail version. Many thanks to Squad_701 for putting it together and for all those cups of tea. He has a very keen eye for detail. IMG_3898_zpsc06fb8c8.jpgIMG_3886_zps1460a74d.jpgIMG_3875_zpsb3ee5c9e.jpgIMG_3858_zps1a30faa5.jpgThe MBK is a Nova Operator, all external parts are Nova except the Detonator barrel. The grips are RS Springfield wooden grips, many thanks to Squad for sourcing them.Btw, the photos are also by Squad_701, my photography skills are also lacking.

Welcome onboard Mr P, hopefully a few more custom 1911's will be line for you this year ;)

Thanks for the kind words :)

• Like 2

Er - Squad, just out of the vaguest, most penniless interest, what exactly would an all-Nova SDC Operator like that set me back? That is, with the donor TM pistol, the Nova kit and controls (I'm perfectly happy with the Nova barrel) and the Springfield grips, and all your assembly and workmanship? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not publicise it!

Is it now generally accepted that price no object, Nova's 1911 kits are the best out there? How's their ruggedness?

@ Aitch : that's certainly different, quite an imaginative build, Very Nice ;) I'm not a lover of square-triggered frames, but with the Infinity slide and the two-tone - it's perfect, well done :)

@ Puresilver : PM sent.

@ Icolater : Thanks for the compliment, I've never seen my name and the word Genius in the same sentence before ;)

The cheque is in the post :) Your not too bad yourself, a bit of modesty there :)

Edited by Squad 701

the Project has started, Magpul Grips arrived and fit well and feel great! RMR mount and RMR are on their way with any luck and the threaded outer barrel is being drawn up as. i think i will keep it TAN and do the black detailing.

once the machining trials have been done to the slide i can move on to the Metal slides, might get the lightweight blowback unit too.  

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Edited by Fellowz
  • Like 3