1911 Picture Thread

Sorry for the awful pictures, but this is the start of my MGS Snake Eater 1911 based on the Inokatsu. The slide is custom made, with fictional NM 7267719 and semi-fictional MFR CAGE code on the right side. The inside of the slide has a barrel positioner like the guns from Swenson and Hoag did back in the '60s and '70s.

This is probably going to be the tightest Inokatsu I know. The slide needed to be lapped before with diamond paste before I could get it to function.

20210923_101714-1.jpg

20210923_101145.jpg

20210923_101046.jpg

20210923_101025.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

You can see how I lapped the slide to the frame. I am not peening the slide with the hammer, there is just enough material to cause friction. I put small amounts of diamond paste on the inside of the slide and remove very small amounts of that material using the force of a dead-blow hammer

Next is to adjust the barrel positioner with a file to get the outer barrel and barrel hood completely aligned with the lugs when the slide is at rest. Most Inokatsu slides sag in the rear of the slide, causing the slide to set itself ahead of the rear slide rails due to poor quality tolerances. The barrel positioner looks silly but fixes the problems with lockup on these cheap steel guns.

received_555539979051447.jpeg

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, icolater said:

How do you get the slide custom made?? Cool project. I actually love the MGS series. I have enjoyed every single game to the max. I’m actually planning another run of phantom pain at some stage, it’s such a pity the game was never actually finished. 

The slide was a Inokatsu blank slide, the I had July_Pi from CustomGBB engrave trademarks. 

I picked a steel gun because it's easiest to get the high polish blued flats on it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Gunnman said:

The slide was a Inokatsu blank slide, the I had July_Pi from CustomGBB engrave trademarks. 

I picked a steel gun because it's easiest to get the high polish blued flats on it.

Are those blank slides readily available? How about frames to match?  Would leave to build either an al steel or Steel / Ally gun but haven't the funds to buy it all at once.  Would cost more but maybe buy ing bit by bit could work for me. :)

3 hours ago, BigAl said:

Are those blank slides readily available? How about frames to match?  Would leave to build either al steel or Steel / Ally gun but haven't the funds to buy it all at once.  Would cost more but maybe buying bit by bit could work for me. :)

Yes, I think the going rate for everything is USD 380 for a slide, frame, faux extractor, and chassis. You are going to want a slide, frame, chassis, and faux extractor. These guns can go from wonderfully made to some of the worst guns you can buy. The Inokatsu is Real Steel spec in many areas, and a slide will NOT fit other aftermarket frames.

Inokatsu had tons of rejects, the "ideal" reject is cosmetic. July_Pi sent me the best example of the M1911A1, then he called a shop that has these "ideal" rejected slide blanks ordered from Inokatsu. The slide was then engraved by him and finished in a phosphate coat to ship.

Ultimately, I plan to have the frame Phosphate finished and the slide hot salt bathed in a deep blue with polished flats. You can't see too well, my slide has many small pitting marks that I must remove, these are heavily DIY guns, and you should not expect Nova level of fit and finish unless you do some work. I've known you for a while, so it's just a matter of where you want to go with it.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001202433187&ref=content_filter

• Like 1
On 9/27/2021 at 6:21 AM, icolater said:

Are they old spec frames with separate inner frame? Or newer advanced type. 

They are real steel spec with a proprietary inner chassis.

If you put the slide on a TM spec frame, old or advanced frame, the dust cover of the frame will be way too short. The slides are cast and are often mated to the frame (usually poorly) from the factory.

Edited by Gunnman
  • Like 1
On 9/27/2021 at 2:19 AM, Gunnman said:

Inokatsu had tons of rejects, the "ideal" reject is cosmetic. July_Pi sent me the best example of the M1911A1, then he called a shop that has these "ideal" rejected slide blanks ordered from Inokatsu. The slide was then engraved by him and finished in a phosphate coat to ship.

Is this available on the stainless steel ones they make? The idea of finally getting a stainless steel Silverballer is extremely interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BigAl said:

Another quick question, how hard is it to make a WE Thumb Safety fit on a Prime/TM Build?  I have a Combat COmander but it has wrong safety and hammer?  Just realised I have a WE I don't mind changinf safety on that has the correct one.

Should fit, or TM S70 safety fits perfect, I have both the correct Nova safety,  nickel though and KM head commander steel hammer, buy them from me or sell me the gun and you go build your steel 1911.

• 3 months later...

Oh yeah, forgot to post my last project here.

1qqkVtc.jpg

c7fM8a5.jpg

Mafioso Hardballer Longslide (refinished with aluminum oxide blasting + polishing slide flats), Mafioso laser, real Weaver ring, real NPC mount, DIY pressure switch.

Don't buy the Mafioso kit or laser, it's worth maybe a quarter of what they charge. I had to fix a bunch of stupid little things with this gun to make it usable, and the use of real mounts are solely because the Mafioso parts were hot garbage.

On the bright side, since I've now reworked the laser to hold zero and mount with real-steel hardware, I was able to do this:

l5eFi9V.jpg?1

• Like 7
3 hours ago, paranoiddroid said:

oh man thas gorgeous... so 3d print the laser instead then?

Or, frankly, just get one milled out of aluminum tubing, or even sleeve it together yourself.

The Mafioso one isn't accurate to the real prop, doesn't hold the laser securely (which, itself, is about a two-dollar Aliexpress probably-not-eye-safe laser), and uses a toggle switch to turn the laser on and off which is about as useless as it gets. So, there's not a lot of value there.

The Weaver ring is cheaply made and not actually Weaver spec, so it can't be replaced without also replacing or modifying the mount. Which is a good idea anyways, because instead of the mount and grip being one giant chunk of aluminum (with the paint stripped above the grip), Mafioso made the mount a flimsy piece that sorta secures to a plastic grip via a single screw, which will strip out the frame if you torque it much because the screw threads are slightly undersized for no apparent reason.

And that's not even getting into what's wrong with the gun itself. Not movie-accurate-wrong, functionally wrong. For example, it seems every single one left the factory with geometry that renders them incapable of fully returning to battery if tilted at all upwards.

Bad gun. Bad parts. Do not.

Edited by CatgutViolin
  • Like 1
On 1/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, blobface said:

Ooof, I have always had good experience with Mafioso's kit, this sounds pretty bad. Guess anything outside of just CNC'ing something nicely is out of their comfort zone. 

I found my list of things I had to do to make the gun serviceable.

-Refinishing the entire gun by media blasting with 120-grit aluminum oxide, then polishing the slide flats
-Major reprofiling of the barrel and slide to address a serious fitment issue during cycling
-Shimming the laser diode inside the housing (it didn't even work out of the box)
-Cutting down the vertical adjustment screw on the rear sight to stop it contacting the nozzle
-Securing the rear sight after the adjustment screw head stripped through the sight itself
-Shimming the mainspring for reliable function on propane
-Replacing the piston seal with a CowCow cup seal
-Replacing the bucking with a PDI W-Hold (70D)
-Swapping out the grip screws after the original ones stripped out their bushings
-Shimming the frame rails for tighter slide fitment
-Replacing O-rings in the magazine valves, as they failed to seal reliably
-Replacing the entire laser mount with the actual NPC mount, as the Mafioso mount was too poorly-designed to hold zero, and stripped out an essential mounting screw
-Gutting the toggle switch on the laser and replacing it with a homemade pressure switch

And then after those, the replacement grip screws stripped out the bushings anyways and I had to tap them for a slightly larger size. On top of those, the magazine valves are poorly made and basic TM mags work a lot better (although, credit where it's due, the Mafioso mag bodies are nicely made and lightweight). So, yeah, not a huge fan of Mafioso at the moment.

Let's just say you've really *fruitcage*ed up when I look at an actual AMT pistol and go 'ah, much better'.
Edited by CatgutViolin
  • Like 2

Knocking up a little custom based on an old WE Desert Warrior but need a few parts.  What I need are:

1. The forward part of the plunger assembly, I have the rear pin and the spring, just need tiny forward pin that butts up to slide lever.

2. Right side safety catch, or left side only catch.

3. Springfield Armoury Grips.

Cheers guys.

• 6 months later...