1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWA Nighthawk steel 1911 with machined rs Heinie tritium sights, stainless threaded insert (to match this two tone oddness), grey Magpul grip panels!  

Posted Images

My latest project now completed...

SFARO1.jpg

SFARO2.jpg

TM 1911a1 frame mated to a 5.1 Hi-capa slide with added serrations. Also fitted an MEU grip safety, Tanio Koba checkered MSH, TM trigger, TM MEU 'Delta' hammer, TM MEU custom made single thumb safety, 4.3 fore sight, TM Night Warrior outer barrel and Shooters Design grips. All internals are standard TM parts.

• Like 1

Added Magwell, had to change the grip....Kimber Carbon Fiber magwell grip is out of stock, ended up with Alumagrip...

original.jpg

Did I ask you about the way you crown your 1911 barrels? I thought I did but I can't find the PM. I'd love to have my RedwolfAirsoft Nighthawk's barrel crowned like that. Nighthawk does that kind of crowning on their Dominator and Enforcer guns. If you do it yourself or know someone who does, could you LMK? I'd really like to get it done. Thanks!

The barrel is a SD outer barrel, which means the barrel screws off from the chamber and thus its easy to chuck on a lathe. I just use a counter sink bit and countersunk the barrel.

I think you can still chuck a regular barrel though. And if you don't have counter sink, a bigger drill or just a regular cutting tool should do the trick too...

More reason why as I mentioned to you over at GGI to fit the SD stainless steel barrel/chamber for your Nighthawk!

Edited by RacingManiac

Yeah, just standard skateboard grip tape. Made by a company called 'Enuff skateboards' if you were after that exact type!

How does it feel on bare hands? too coarse or is it okay? I normally play with gloves on, but I'd like to know that if I took them off the gun would still be comfortable.

How does it feel on bare hands? too coarse or is it okay? I normally play with gloves on, but I'd like to know that if I took them off the gun would still be comfortable.

Not too bad actually - I never use gloves myself, and I don't find it uncomfy. Saying that, I only have a small square for a finger-rest on the L/H side of the frame and the bit above the sights for slapping the slide when inserting a mag. As an actual gripping surface on the panels, I'd say it's a bit less aggressive than diamond checkering, but it's definitely quite rough. I'd imagine it'd be alright for a while, but it'd probably start to get uncomfy after an extended period.

Beign an avid skateboarder, I can tell you thus, the grip tape is COARSE. However, if you sand it down against another peioce of griptape, you can get it to a desired 'roughness' easily. Mob griptape is the roughest, with budget makes being the least corase, jessups is also rough and hard wearing, both can be obtained for free from local skate stores (there's more than enough left over for gun use from any board off-cut, just ask nicely)

Beign an avid skateboarder, I can tell you thus, the grip tape is COARSE. However, if you sand it down against another peioce of griptape, you can get it to a desired 'roughness' easily. Mob griptape is the roughest, with budget makes being the least corase, jessups is also rough and hard wearing, both can be obtained for free from local skate stores (there's more than enough left over for gun use from any board off-cut, just ask nicely)

That's a good point actually, mine has been rubbed a lot to get it to stick properly to the slide so it might have made it less gritty.

The barrel is a SD outer barrel, which means the barrel screws off from the chamber and thus its easy to chuck on a lathe. I just use a counter sink bit and countersunk the barrel.

I think you can still chuck a regular barrel though. And if you don't have counter sink, a bigger drill or just a regular cutting tool should do the trick too...

More reason why as I mentioned to you over at GGI to fit the SD stainless steel barrel/chamber for your Nighthawk!

Ahhh! That's right. It was on GGI.Thing is my pistol is running so well, the thought of trying to fit another barrel to the gun makes me nervous. I'd rather modify the barrel I have on the gun right now. I just don't have access to a lathe. I guess I could ask my machinist that does a lot of the manufacturing I've had done on my other guns.

• 2 weeks later...

...I'd love to have my RedwolfAirsoft Nighthawk's barrel crowned like that....

I love these crowned barrels too, but I don't think the RWL Talon's barrel would look the way it should crowned, because the wall of it at the muzzle end is just so thin that you won't really get the looks of the crowning. I have an RWL Talon too, but I'll go with a stainless barrel for sure. You should try Illusion Kinetics' stainless barrels, they are non tilting ones so won't contact the slide, therefore should be an easy fit.

Not as nice as RM's, but still - Added some grip tape and some abuse to my Kimber. I got a tiny ding on the slide at a skirmish, and thought I might as well wear it a bit...

Is this the Hurrican Kimber Tactical Entry II CNC kit? It looks kinda blueish. Is it, or is it just my display playing tricks? Does the magwell tend to get loose during skirmishes?

I love these crowned barrels too, but I don't think the RWL Talon's barrel would look the way it should crowned, because the wall of it at the muzzle end is just so thin that you won't really get the looks of the crowning. I have an RWL Talon too, but I'll go with a stainless barrel for sure. You should try Illusion Kinetics' stainless barrels, they are non tilting ones so won't contact the slide, therefore should be an easy fit.

Good points, singleStack. Very interesting. I'm not familiar with Illusion Kinetics' barrels. Where do you buy them? I can't find them online for sale. If nothing comes up, I may end up getting a SD barrel like RacingManiac suggested. The other question is, can I crown it properly?

Is this the Hurrican Kimber Tactical Entry II CNC kit? It looks kinda blueish. Is it, or is it just my display playing tricks? Does the magwell tend to get loose during skirmishes?

Tis indeed! I imagine it's down to the awful lighting in the photos - One or two pages previously (I think) are some better pictures in decent light before I did the wear job. It does have a very oceany kinda grey colour to it, but it's not really blue... Close to the blue side of grey, if that makes sense? It probably doesn't... Either way, bad colour descriptions aside, it's a hell of a nice kit.

Good points, singleStack. Very interesting. I'm not familiar with Illusion Kinetics' barrels. Where do you buy them? I can't find them online for sale. If nothing comes up, I may end up getting a SD barrel like RacingManiac suggested. The other question is, can I crown it properly?

You can check his products here: http://www.pbase.com/illusive_airsoft/custom_parts

As RM said they are mostly Prog4 products but as you are in the US, I thought it would be more convenient for you than an HK company. Moreover you can have the same "NIGHTHAWK MATCH 45ACP" engraved for your taste and fitting really shouldn't be a problem. Crowning won't be a problem for anyone regularly using a lathe I believe! :)

If you are interested, I will send you Brian's e-mail in a pm. He also has a very good stainless slide catch with has a 1911 style rod with a rounded end and not the flat ended one that makes field stripping a nightmare.

(By the way we are just setting up a cooperation to make these products more easily available in Europe through me.)

Tis indeed! I imagine it's down to the awful lighting in the photos - One or two pages previously (I think) are some better pictures in decent light before I did the wear job. It does have a very oceany kinda grey colour to it, but it's not really blue... Close to the blue side of grey, if that makes sense? It probably doesn't... Either way, bad colour descriptions aside, it's a hell of a nice kit.

It does make sense in a unique manner! LOL

I'm makin eyes with this kit for a while now, I guess I'm gonna have one in my inventory soon (the first Kimber). I just don't know if the kit's magwell is sturdy enough or should I buy a Nova one with it.

It does make sense in a unique manner! LOL

I'm makin eyes with this kit for a while now, I guess I'm gonna have one in my inventory soon (the first Kimber). I just don't know if the kit's magwell is sturdy enough or should I buy a Nova one with it.

Arg, forgot to mention the magwell! I wouldn't bother with a Nova to be honest - The included one is a perfect fit and very solid. Pretty confident the magwell is steel, although I'll magnet test it on monday to confirm. Only thing I can fault the kit on is the lack of checkering on the underside of the trigger guard and the rear sight is a little loose.