PLA Camouflage

Grimm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Non to be had in Beijing, short of buying one of someone who was wearing it. No use to meas you can tell from my Avatar, i'm not Asia Size Friendly!

:D :D :D

Me too, I'm skinny but 6'2". Thankfully northern Chinese are quite tall so I can get stuff to fit. My brother's a fat B.... but my missus has managed to find him the same stuff as me in his size- 180/110 jacket and 180/105 trousers..

oooooooooo a PLA thread, bout time i contributed to this forum

both these patterns i bought in hong kong at the PLA surplus store at inspoint mall at nathan road, tonnes of interesting stuff there so i definately recommend checking it out. (not to mention it is the only PLA surplus store in hk)

first up, my type 07 urban transitional BDU. due to production on the proper uniform being delayed for a few months back in 07, the PLA opted to outfit itself with a temporary replacement to make up for the shortfall. its made to the same specs and pattern but out of a lighter material.

dsc05653lb5.jpg

as said before, material was very thin and light, could dry very quickly in the rain but lord help you if its cold. didnt fit me very well seeing as the trousers were too small and the shirt too big but they were dead cheap so no complaints.

closeup of the pattern

dsc05648kf2.jpg

the urban pattern is used by a majority of the PLA ground forces in the eastern provinces, essentially what UCP is to the americans. however, units operating in cetain conditions will use more specific types depending on their location. despite being 'urban' i found the pattern very effective in jungle as well as manmade areas with the larger pixels and contrasting colours helping to break up my outline making it a pretty useful multipurpose BDU

-----------------

next up is the Type 07 ocean BDU used by the PLAN Marine Corps. a very rare find indeed, only one the shop had (consequently the only one in hk) which reflects the ungodly price i paid for it.

marineuniform.jpg

unlike the previous, this is the real deal which is reflected in its superior quality. material is thicker and definately more resilient to outdoor use, in addition it fitted me PERFECTLY. i especially like the attention to detail even down to matching buttons with the words 'PLA' engraved on them.

sany0014w.jpg

closeup, pretty much identical to its army counterpart with the colours changed around.

sany0013q.jpg

unfortunately i havent been able to use this in the field yet (blame uni) so i cant comment on the effectiveness of this rather unique camouflage pattern but there has been plenty of debate about it.

comparison pic

sany0017e.jpg

there are lots of theories waving about the PLANMC's obsession with bright blue in their uniforms. one is that since the marines are purely an elite beach assault force, they are camouflaged by the sea behind them when advancing up the beachhead, another ive heard is that since blue is at the far end of the visible spectrum it should be harder to spot them from a distance (confirm??) and another is thatits down to tradition and identity

and yes, that shop does have a wide variety of webbing but supplies are very patchy at times, i currently have a 1991 issue rig (flimsy little thing but good for those hot days) but ive seen newer vests in type 07 urban. dont get too caught up on the whole webbing issue though, since the PLA is so massive, only the top divisions are fitted with matching digicam gear. everyone else simply has to scavenge what they can find, hell the shop even had recent additions that date from the 1950s and i wouldnt be surprised if some of those pentac clones have managed to make their way into the ranks in some obscure outpost.

on the subject of blue chinese camouflage, anyone know what the pattern the 2nd picture down is (http://www.tridentmilitary.com/World-Militaria/China.html) ? I've been looking at buying them for as long as I care to remember, sadly ive spent so long second guessing myself, i'm no longer a 34 waist!

I might be tempted to buy some of that rsov stuff, but the mediums only go down to approx 33 inches, where as i'm more of a 31/32. Got a funny feeling itll be too big. Clearly not made for the asia market.

On the subject of sizing, I found that to get the right size jacket and leg length (180 height and I'm 185) I had to have slightly too fat trousers. I got around this by getting a seamstress in the shop next door fit an elasticated waistband for about 50p. Gotta love cheap Chinese labour rates... I'm the same as you, but a belt is fine on my other ones that I didn't get modded..

1) that soulds like a waste, use something else?? Up to you though of course.

2) yes, 49.99US free shipping (ACM clone...)

http://www.airsoftpark.com/chinese-tibetan...ants-p-560.html

Thanks. I'm not doing a full ghillie, so I need a good pattern. I orginally was going to use desert flecktarn but its too light. Where i play at is heavily wooded and the ground is covered in brown year round, with green above it in the spring and summer. PLA fleck looks like it'd be the best to try out.

wannabeswat..where did you source that Tibetarn Kit at? Especially that chest rig! I have been looking for one of those.

Sorry bro, it's a home-job. All hand painted...took long enough! It's still a little shiny, will be fine after a good bit of use. It's actually a cheap ACM OD chestrig i got for about $12 landed:P

Spacemonkey, i totally agree, i wore my 07 desert on saturday (it's summer where i am) and stewed in my own sweat.

My 03 plateau is the same (or very similar) weight too so i can't win- when it's summer is when it's brown, and when it's hot:(

Archived