I'm in the process of looking for a new rifle base for a project and I thought an excellent little place to start would be the readers reviews sections.

Ah.

One rifle I was looking at was the WE GBB M4 and the thread is currently 194 pages long, which is a bit mad really when I just want to get a basic idea of a rifle. Also that thread has gone from a review to a general discussion about the rifle.

What I'm suggesting is clear the clutter from these reviews and move them to a separate section (new area in technical perhaps?) where there are threads on the discussion of rifles (much like in the snipers section). This will also remove general *chaffinch* chat from the already manic picture threads.

I'm thinking threads which people discuss in and then the first post is routinely updated with info on these rifles. It would also cut down on endless new threads in the technical discussion asking 'whats the best hop unit?' etc.

Now I'm not suggesting that someone goes back through every thread ever to make this. I just mean clear out the threads in readers reviews to start things and let it build up from there. It's a pretty big task but I'm willing to put myself forward to do it, because the amount of times I've wanted to learn about something and I've felt absolutely overwhelmed. Sitting down and working through 194 pages seems a bit mad when that could probably all be compacted into one good post.

I await your opinions.

The real problem behind this idea would be what defines a "good post".

The gear section already has separate moderators, could work in the same way but people with detailed technical knowledge would need to come forward.

Yeah I agree

I wasn't suggesting moderating the whole thing. I was just willing to spend a few hours moving everything over, get it all started etc. In hindsight, it probably isn't the best idea as it would require a lot of time. I just think that 194 page threads are silly really. Esp when you might just want to know a few little things and no doubt asking would result in 'already answered 50 pages ago etc'

gotta admit having ploughed thru around fifty pages of that thread I gave up trying to see if there was an actual 'heres what it looks like and heres how it works with photos' review amongst it :)

not sure why it ever actually started off being in the readers review section (the inital posts werent a review),

is probably manageable enough to 'keep on top of' for folks who were following it from the start, but isnt doing anyone else (or the gun itself) much favours growing as one huge catch all 'advice/impressions/questions/advertising/news and complaints about suppliers' thread

Is a bit like having the entire technical discussion or projects forum chucked into one thread Would be easier going if it was in parts. Doubt it's fixable now (will probably hit 800 pages eventually lol) but might be an idea in future to try and ensure that any review in the readers review section actually stats off with erm.. a review :)