rep points missing....due to upgrade methinks

Personally, (and just to balance Crazy_Harry's point of view), I like the reputation system.

When a user makes the effort to post useful information, it gives them a nice feeling when they see that someone thought enough of that post to give them a rep point. They then make that same effort on more occasions and the community benefits. All the time, the users getting the valued rep points feel better and better, further enjoying the Arnie's experience. Everyone benefits - everyone has more fun here.

People who gain points without putting in the effort are only kidding themselves. They get little to no enjoyment from the points they get because they engineered their acquisition.

True, some people abuse the system by neg-repping people to retaliate or get one over on another user. Well, I say that we as mods should be tougher on these people - don't let them ruin a perfectly good system for the rest of us. I would be happy saying that if anyone is caught abusing the rep system or giving un-deserved points (either positive or negative), then from this day forth, they get a 5 day account suspension and 10% warning points. After all, abuse of the rep system is specifically mentioned as a no-no in the forum rules.

Let's not be beaten down by the thoughtless and angry people - we stand, we fight, and we keep our rep system.

*gets off soap box* :D

I see your point, but the vast majority of people couldn't decide definitively on who they wanted instead ;)

They split the votes between the two opposition parties whereas if they had made a concerted effort to vote for one they would have succeeded in their wish ;)

No need to continue in Off Topic really, just couldn't understand where you were coming from but I can now :)

good point r22, I concede that its worthwhile, just wish people would put less stock in it.

and as to the election farce- the way the first past the post system works is by saying "unless you vote for the party that wins, you're vote means nothing"

in the case of britain, 64% of people who voted, lost. and 36% is no mandate to govern the masses.

Everyone knows thats only possible after a farcical aquatic ceremony...wait, strike that...reverse it...

and horror upon horrors, to add insult to injury...

That filthy fascist Blunkett is back in the Cabinet! oh, a dark day indeed...

and here, to illustrate my point further, is a map. just a bit of fun, you understand...

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/election2005/map/

Wtf? Its all blue and yellow...

Back on topic, sort of... In the spirit of malfunctioning democracy, could we have a poll to see what the opinion on the rep system is before it is brought back? Or is this a dictatorship under Arnie? :)

and here, to illustrate my point further, is a map. just a bit of fun, you understand...

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/election2005/map/

Wtf? Its all blue and yellow...

WTF??????

Now THAT REALLY annoys me. Labour got such a tiny proportion of the country's support and they still win! If that doesn't say that they have played the system, I don't know what does.

well i didnt vote as none of them mentioned they liked airsoft :(

most of the parties are trying to ban airguns anyway... so i see that as a threat to airsoft... damn faygits...

we should start a new political party... the AA party. then we can dominate a county... that'll be enough... make that bucks :P and we're allowed to use local public woods on weekends for airsoft purposes and everyone has to wear eye/face protection to walk in the designated public woods if they wish to. and it's free to join :D that'll be great :P

I am in the US at the moment, and away from my system at home. As I said before I'll get to adding access to the system back soon. It' s not gone, it's just not showing. I was more concerned about fixing possible security holes than getting the rep system back online for the moment.

If you could cut me some slack and realise that I'm on holiday (and still working) that'd be appreciated.

Nah no need, just wanted folks to know that I didn't remove it deliberately.

I kinda assumed that folks knew how server software works. Basically when an update is released new files are added to the server by me. These replace the current ones. If I've made any modifications (such as adding a mod like reputations etc.) I have to re-add those mods for them to work afterwards. Not all mods work the same, but most custom ones need to be reapplied after a software update. That's why I try not to have too much custom stuff working on the forums.

I've just not had the time to go through the files I updated with the security changes as the notes to do it are at home and I'm on a laptop working remotely. ;)

Currently there's an error in the profile views, and rep doesn't show on the main topics. I need to re-edit three files to fix that, but don't have the time at this moment right now to do it here.

think i might donate again... this guy works too much and too hard on this site and gets nothing from it... i think we should have a special forum section :P where only people have paid more than US$20 can access... and no monthly fee ;)

and this will also fund future projects arnie might want to do to the site.

edit: i'll say something when arnie is actually not so busy

Edited by urban-ninja