AA L85 dead simple mod: Battery in receiver

mikoyan99

Hi,

This is a dead simple mod for the army armaments L85; it's just how to fit a battery in the receiver, so you can chop the front end to carbine length, fit an RIS unit etc. There isn't actually any cutting or anything involved, you don't even need any tools:

1) Split the gun in half using the TMH pins

2) Remove the resin block in the lower receiver

3) Put the battery in. You'll need a 6 cell 7.2v battery, with the cells lying side on to each other.

hpim4598.jpg

4) Remove the cabling in the upper receiver. If this is a permenant mod for you, just cut with pliers. otherwise, I think you need to slide the barrel forwards. I don't actually know how to move the barrel assembly yet; any suggestions?

hpim4597.jpg

5) put the gun back together. Known issues are the low cyclic rate 9due to 7.2 volt battery), and there are missfires on semi auto. I think the piston spacer mod should sort this. certainly, while the cyclic rate was low on my ak, it worked fine on all settings with this type of battery.

hpim4599.jpg

Hopefully how to make/fit an L22 front end at some point.

-Matt

What he said. There are 1600mAh Li-Po packs that should fit there, maybe even up to 2000mAh. And is there anything in the grip other than supposed cleaning tools? I'm thinking with the Ni batteries that you have, you could fit one or two more cells in there to bring your rof back up.

What he said. There are 1600mAh Li-Po packs that should fit there, maybe even up to 2000mAh. And is there anything in the grip other than supposed cleaning tools? I'm thinking with the Ni batteries that you have, you could fit one or two more cells in there to bring your rof back up.

With the NiMH cells, I think theres actually space for another cell under where the battery is atm - just have it on flexible wires - it's just that it jams on semi with 8.4v batteries, and on 7.2v ones. Only the supplied battery seems to cycle it properly on semi, so I think i'm going to get the piston spacer mod done and see where to go from there. If it stops jamming, i'll get a lipo or see what I can do with an extra cell like you suggest.

Cheers,

-Matt

• 1 month later...

Archived