Army Works MEU in Black and Stainless

Army Works MEU GBB

Mini-Review of Army Works Latest Tokyo Marui 1911 GBB Clone
Part I
Introduction and Test Results

Guinness

Army-MEUs2_med.png

I saw the MEU's pop-up at Gunner's and RSOV and thought what the heck, how bad can a $60 full-metal MEU be? My thanks to Keith at RSOV for such speedy service as usual! I figured I'd give one a try, and at this price, why not do a combo deal and pick up the Black and the Stainless at the same time.

I have not owned the Tokyo Marui MEU these are 'cloned' from, but I do have a TM 1911 that I turned into a nice Springfield Armory G.I. Pistol

Springfieldfinal4_med-1.png

The MEU's are not my first Army Works GBB pistols, I picked up the Detonics clone in chrome a few weeks ago-

ArmyDetonics1_med.png

...but that's for another review :P

Right then, we are here to discuss the Army Works MEU!

This is a clone of the popular Tokyo Marui MEU which is a replica of the now legendary MEU (SOC) Marine Expiditionary Unit .45 Caliber Sidearm.

I'm not going to spend a second going over the history of the real-steel MEU, that has been doen to death before, and this is a 'mini-review' afterall.

So lets get to the important stuff, testing results!

ARMY-MEUTesting1_med.png

At these prices, I really didn't expect much from these guns, but figured they should at least be able to hit a target at 25 ft.

That's a 4.5 inch round target, would have liked a tighter grouping to be sure and judging by how the shots were placed in progression, the Stainless is a bit more of a sprayer than the black. Mind you these guns have not been 'broken in' nor have the hops been even slightly adjusted.

Chrono results are as follows:
(73 deg. ambient temp)
-Same Magazine used for both weapons
-Filled with 10 BB's and refilled with air for each test

Army Works MEU (Black)

Army Works MEU (Stainless)

ArmyMEU-BlackChrono1_med.png

ArmyMEU-StnlsChrono1_med.png

I used the same mag for both guns for the test, so it's interesting that there is such a variance in recorded FPS between the two.

So that's the nuts and bolts of the guns, how about the look, feel and shooting experience? That will follow in part two of this mini-review.

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Army Works MEU GBB

Part II:
Aesthetics and Shooting Impression

Army-MEUs3_med.png

So out of the wrap from Hong Kong, they look like this-

ArmyMEUsBox_med.png

Army-MEUs1_med.png

The finish on the black model (Parkerized Grey) is pretty nice, although you immediately notice the difference betwen these and their Japanese cousins by the quality of paint application and metal casting.

The Stainless models finish is somewhat rough as if the paint didn't dry properly, however this is more just the application of the chrome finish- almost like a powder-coat finish.

The Trade marks are nice and deep, however they came out better on the Black model than the Stainless, just due to the thick chrome finish applied.

Sadly, the blaze-orange muzzle paint was the death blow to the black MEU's finish. It appears that the folks at RSOV used a different mixture than normal, and it was not soluble with alcohol as it usually is, using a little 'goof off' took the orange off, as well as the grey parkised finish underneath. Right down to a nice shiny black underneath that.

So yeah, I F'ed the black one up removing the orange.... :rolleyes:

And as I was trying to get angry with myself for that, I remembered who much they cost..... ;)

ArmyMEU-Black1_med.png

ArmyMEU-Stnls_wood4_med.png

ArmyMEU-Black2_med.png

ArmyMEU-Stnls_wood6_med.png

I need to respray the slide on the black model a nice flat gunmetal and redo that- but it works for now.

As far as looks personally I prefer the Stainless, no surprise there, I'm partial to shiny things I guess.

They both feel good in your hands, but their standard 1911 frames, so that also, is no news.

Negative things to point out in the look and feel department I suppose would be the rough finish of the Stainless pieces, very thick application of chrome and the metal itself is pocked and pitted. On the black model as well, even when buffed down to the shiny black underneath, it shows a bad application of paint. The Parkerised gray top finish is not durable at all and came off way to easily.

The other thing that really disappointed me were the grips- While they are spot-on great visual copies of real Pachmayr wrap-around grips, they are hard plastic! I was bummed- They couldn't make 'em soft? :(

Shooting Impression

The guns feel, well, just like any other metal bodied 1911 when shooting. I really like the Novak sights and the annoying magazine bumper seems to somehow balance the weight and feel of the gun and make target acquisition quicker than other 1911's I own.

Both weapons cycle crisply and well on the elixir of full-metal GGB's, Green gas. Right now I admit Im partial to the black model shooting wise, if only for its increased FPS power.

Army-MEUs4_med.png

Conclusion

For $60 dollar pistols, I really don't think you can go wrong here- They are upgradable with TM bits, heck you could even put them in better metal bodies and be ahead of the game.

I would definitely recommend these to anyone considering spending $30 to $40 on the plastic springer alternative.

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness

Great review! They look great, for $60, but somehow, the finish on the plastic detonics looks better than the chrome MEU.... The MEU looks plasticy, oddly enough. Maybe I'll refinish if I buy.

How much was shipping from RSOV?

Thanks! :wub:

I hope you don't mind that I didn't disassemble the guns down to their protons and electrons...... ;)

Shipping to my door in Colorado was 87 bucks- I still wonder if the prices we see for guns being so low is so they can increase the shipping charges lol.

I also agree about the Detonics, I mean if they are going to make up a fake silver MEU in the first place, may as well make it chrome! That finish on it would have been killer- The only way I can describe the finish on the Stainless MEU, its like they sprayed the silver paint from across the room through a garden hose. I tried to use a dremel to smooth it out, but its impossible- it's not paint. It's like I said, it's almost a 'chrome powder-coat'

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness

Sorry, just wanted to make sure I understand. $87 for shipping or $87 shipped?

Also, how's the metal quality?

Glad you put this up. I was considering getting another 1911, but I didn't know these existed as an option.

Edited by Chris North

lol :P

Whan asked how much shipping was, shipping to my door was $87 bucks- but so I'm clear,

1 'Army' full metal caliber .45 M.E.U. pistol (SOC) - (R27 Black) kg USD58.99 USD5.90 USD53.09

1 'Army' full metal caliber .45 M.E.U. pistol (SOC) - (R27 Silver) kg USD63.99 USD6.40 USD57.59

1 (Lot of 2) x 'Dboys' WWII 98K rifle cartridges stripper clips kg USD6.99 - USD6.99

Subtotal: USD117.67

Included discount: USD12.30

Shipping cost: USD87.00

Grand total: USD204.67

The metal is ok- I suppose its zinc? I mean I wouldn't use it as a hammer.... ;)

lol :P

Whan asked how much shipping was, shipping to my door was $87 bucks- but so I'm clear,

1 'Army' full metal caliber .45 M.E.U. pistol (SOC) - (R27 Black) kg USD58.99 USD5.90 USD53.09

1 'Army' full metal caliber .45 M.E.U. pistol (SOC) - (R27 Silver) kg USD63.99 USD6.40 USD57.59

1 (Lot of 2) x 'Dboys' WWII 98K rifle cartridges stripper clips kg USD6.99 - USD6.99

Subtotal: USD117.67

Included discount: USD12.30

Shipping cost: USD87.00

Grand total: USD204.67

The metal is ok- I suppose its zinc? I mean I wouldn't use it as a hammer.... ;)

That's what I thought but $87 seemed absurd for one GBB. I forgot you'd bought two, even still it seems a bit much. Thanks.

Edit: Quote added for clarity. Stupid distracting TV...

Edited by Chris North

Hmm. I was going to pick up a pair of the chromes but now I think I'll go with the black ones and just strip the frames down and polish them.

Great review, Guiness. In my experience the clone GBBs tend to have wank barrels. Getting a tightbore will really help - or you could try to re-crown the stock barrels with a lathe.

Nice review :D Although I got a bit confused when you said you refilled the mag with air in the first part lol

Just wondering if the TM 1911A1 mags would be compatable?

Hi, yes they are compatible. The stock magazine takes an eternity to load in gaz (and it doesn't hiss when its full or anything... so no way of knowing when its full) and I haven't managed yet to get it to fire 20 rounds. The Marui mags on the other hand work flawlessly.

The accuracy is terrible, though. The inner barrel wobbles like mad inside the outer barrel. I applied straps of teflon tape around the inner to make it a tight fit with the outer. It improved accuracy. When I dissasembled the hop-up chamber, I also noticed the hop-up rubber is really sloppy (Rough edges and everything) and the adjustment wheel doesn't seem to work. Gonna replace it with a hi-end after-market part, as well as getting a PDI inner. I hope it'll greatly improve the gun. I'll post feedback after upgrade.

Edited by Arion

Nice review as always, Guinness!

Think Im gonna get the black one with Simonich grips or wait for Army to redo the chrome version with all bits in chrome too and get SA wood grips.

I know these kind of things never have gone too well, but what do you guys think about we make a petition for Army to clone a proper Kimber? Frontiers (member of this forum) apparentely knows the owner and maybe we could convince him to try to convince the guys at Army?

That "stainless" finish is zinc-plating, gives a rougher, yellowy-gold finish, generally when chroming aluminium you zinc plate it first as chromium doesnt grab to alu very well, alas, they obviously decided to just zinc plate it, its a pretty tough wearing finish but obviously doesnt have the same shine!

The detonics is electroplated plastic, they brass dip the plastic bodies and then apply a very very thin layer of chromium, you can polish it, but be warned polish it for more than a few seconds and you'll be left with a nice brass coloured finish, then get thru to the black/brown plastic under-neath!

Wow, this review convinced me. Next chance I get, I'm picking up a Army MEU, I want the TM, but that would take ages to get the funds, so I'll settle for the Army. If it dies, I'll save for a MEU but for $60 (actually $73 since I'd use EBB) it can't hurt right? I do have 2 nearly full cans of Green Gas laying under my bed I might aswell put to use.

Do they always come with a orange front from RSOV, how do you get it off, and will it damage the normal paint on the gun.

Plus, how many rounds can there be in the magazine, and how good are the magazine?

Edited by p0inT
Nice review. Ordered one last week from eb. Has yet to arrive, it will be interesting to see what kind of orange they use on the tips.

Leatherneck,

Can you keep us updated on your order from EB and let us know how it goes?

Also can you tell me what kind of orange paint?

Just ordered the black MEU. B)

I'm going to test if my KJ 1911 hopup and inner barrel will fit it, since that gun has pretty decent accuracy and is also compatible with Marui. I'm also going to install a 150% recoil spring, a steel outer barrel and either the real steel wood grips I have in my KJ or the ones from my Socom Gear Wilson CQB Elite (which is a real gas squirter and has pretty hard to fill magazines). I'm gonna use this gun with the TM 1911 magazines I have for my KJ 1911.

I'll keep you guys posted when I get the gun...

Edited by Lupus78