DSR CO2 Rig Options + Opinions

The Chef

Hola,

Just a quick question for all those over the water.

Is Palmer Pursuit still open?

The only reason I ask is that I am after some regulator parts for my DSR, and I've a few questions about fittings etc before I splash the cash on something that may be incorrect.

So I've emailed PP, both through their contact page, and both the registered email addresses for Glenn and his web-monkey.

All have elicited no response what so ever, and this is a few weeks now.

Are they closed, or have they cornered the market so much that customer service has gone right out of the window?

Without these I can't get it running properly.

So any ideas? or anyone over here know of a decent place to get regulators and fittings in the UK?

Cheers chaps.

Hola,

Just a quick question for all those over the water.

Is Palmer Pursuit still open?

The only reason I ask is that I am after some regulator parts for my DSR, and I've a few questions about fittings etc before I splash the cash on something that may be incorrect.

So I've emailed PP, both through their contact page, and both the registered email addresses for Glenn and his web-monkey.

All have elicited no response what so ever, and this is a few weeks now.

Are they closed, or have they cornered the market so much that customer service has gone right out of the window?

Without these I can't get it running properly.

So any ideas? or anyone over here know of a decent place to get regulators and fittings in the UK?

Cheers chaps.

i found the same, they have ignored me loads now so i gave up trying

I was hoping you'd chime in Magnum...

I know what you're saying, and I'm certainly open to alternatives. The regulator though is my sticking point. I am tight for space and the reg that I end up with has to have a diameter (barrel body) of about an inch with the input/output at the 3-9 positions. It has to sit underneath a scope hi-mount.

The rest of the fittings I think I can seek guidance on. It's just knowing what bits to order.

I can't believe a retailer that disregards customer emails.... shocking, and utterly stupid in todays world.

I was hoping you'd chime in Magnum...

I know what you're saying, and I'm certainly open to alternatives. The regulator though is my sticking point. I am tight for space and the reg that I end up with has to have a diameter (barrel body) of about an inch with the input/output at the 3-9 positions. It has to sit underneath a scope hi-mount.

The rest of the fittings I think I can seek guidance on. It's just knowing what bits to order.

I can't believe a retailer that disregards customer emails.... shocking, and utterly stupid in todays world.

Never been a big fan of Palmers Pursuits. They've been overrated for a long time and definitely overpriced. They've been riding their early paintball custom marker laurels for a while and airsofters who aren't familiar with the plethora of quality regulators available at competitive prices to anything PP makes will often know that one brand.

If you're just wanting air fittings such as 45 or 90 degree elbows etc, then a hardware store can provide you with plenty of cheap single cast brass fittings which are more than enough to do the job. Macro-lines, etc will require someone else from the UK to help you in that department.

I'm figuring you're probably going to attempt to mount the regulator inside the "see through" section of the high mount brackets. Something like a Hyperline II, or Custom Products (CP) regulator would work. Unfortunately, most regulators are going to "grip" style with the input coming from the sides and the output coming through the top requiring a reducer or cap fitting. However, whats really important to this whole design is where you want to put the air source.

I can also see a customized Cold Shot Kit with the macro-lines repositioned to be inline instead of side by side and mounted in a pipe for aesthetics. More details and possibly a pic would also help although you might want to start a new thread for this project.

Righty...

thanks for the responses guys.

I shall enlighten you all of my plan.

I am fitting a CO2 rig to my DSR as you've probably guessed and whilst I know where I want everything to go, I'm not certain of the exact fittings.

First off. I've got a PP Female Stabiliser and 12g CO2 adaptor which is going to be my main power source and is going to be mounted on the rail on top of the barrel.

As the picture below shows.

P1000584.jpg

I am looking to mount the secondary regulator (the one I need) underneath the hi-scope mount. The space is limited. I'm constrained by a cylinder diameter of 30mm (about 1 1/8") and 80mm long.

I'm after various input and output places. Hopefully explained by this diagram.

Regulator.jpg

So from the Female, I've got a 90 to a macro line. I am then looking to get this to go into a straight at the fore part of the secondary regulator. The output from that will be on the left hand side of the rifle and come out via another 90 to a flexible hose that goes to the mag.

On the right hand side of the regulator I'll want a low pressure gauge (0-150psi or as near as dammit).

Now, in the line to the mag I really want a self sealing quick disconnect, so I don't purge gas when I have to split the mag. (not too much of a priority, but a 'would like').

So, the line from the 1st to 2nd regs goes in through the front of the scope mount. The adjuster for the 2nd reg is accessible through the rear of the scope mount. Nice and Tidy see.....

Now the bit I am unsure about is...

what size line and the best fittings for the line, and also what reg to suit my application.

Edit for clarification... I do go on a bit.

SO what I need to know.

1:What regulator do I need? Needs to fit the size constraints and have input/output parts in the correct places.

2:Is this list of parts for what I need correct?

Regulator

Straight Connector (in)

90 Degree Elbow (out)

90 Degree Elbow (into Mag)

0-150psi Gauge (or as close as)

QD for line

Flexi-Line

(all connectors to be of the high pressure push fit type)

3: Can you advise on connector/line sizes.

Cheers guys.

Eh didn't know Mcmaster was finicky about international like that. Yeah PM AW on here or Ca.net or one of many other places he frequents. If needed I could make an order for you too and ship it out to you, but you'd have to wait until after next week I have to go out of town.

1:What regulator do I need? Needs to fit the size constraints and have input/output parts in the correct places.

For what you are asking, this will do. Has 3 1/8npt ports ( at the 9 12 and 3 o'clock positions) 1/8npt male input and adjusting knob on the top.

boulder.JPG

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.p...roducts_id=1069

2:Is this list of parts for what I need correct?

Regulator [yes]

Straight Connector (in) [ yes, 1/4OD tube to 1/8npt female]

90 Degree Elbow (out) [ yes, 1/8npt 90 degree swivel to 1/4OD tube]

90 Degree Elbow (into Mag) [ yes, depending on the magazine thread, you'll want 10-32UNF or 1/8npt ( I prefer 10-32UNF, less material to drill out and easier to correct mistakes)]

0-150psi Gauge (or as close as) [ an ashcroft model will do fine, the +/- 1% gylercine filled gauge is what you are looking for in fine tuning]

QD for line [ if you are using 1/4OD tube, you'll need barb style set for 5/32 ID tube]

Flexi-Line

(all connectors to be of the high pressure push fit type)

3: Can you advise on connector/line sizes.

stick with 1/4OD which can be used interchangeably with 4mm hose found in the UK.

As it so happens, I am upgrading 3 full classic rigs for a guy on AS-R, DRK. I have an account with Palmers and will be making the order for the regulator and misc fittings this coming monday. If you need the fittings or palmer's unit ordered, gimme a heads up.

Magnum.

Thats a blinder.

In a word YES, I need those bits.

I'm going to have to tap the magazine, so really anything goes at that point.

I'd be much obliged if you could order those bits. At least I know they'll all fit together.

Cheers

Rob.

Why exactly do you need the second regulator? A straight inline setup like that would benefit more from an inline mini-expansion chamber between the 12gr quickchange and primary regulator to keep liquid CO2 off of the reg's o-rings which is your only real worry. Regulation-wise a heavy duty primary like the one you're using should give you solid results unless you haven't performed any maintenance on it.

BP, I've found that the single reg system just isn't stable enough for a sniping based system. It was giving me fluctuations of well in excess of +/-30fps. The Female Stabiliser is brand new (well a little old now, but was brand new when I tried it last time).

Having done a lot of digging, the consensus was that a secondary regulator would iron out those spikes caused by seepage into the primary and also allow for a more tuneable set-up. It probably doesn't help the set-up being mounted laterally, but I want the system firmly placed on the gun and not remote hosed based. I put my rifle down (a lot) in order to switch to my pistol for room clearance so don't want to have to keep 'disconnecting' myself.

And seeing as gas rifles are inherently unstable due to their very nature, the more help the better.

I love my gas rifles, I've had Tanaka's ever since I started and this DSR is beautiful in every way barring its performance (and seeing as thats the top priority for me in a rifle, it has to be right), but I've been tainted by the phenomenal accuracy and stability of the VSR (yes I know I shouldn't compare a gas based and spring based system but what's a man to do!) and unfortunately thats spilled over into this project.

I've got to get this DSR firing at 500fps (it's so heavy I don't really want to have to run about with it.... getting old see), and I've got to be able to hit a good torso sized target at 70m+. So Stability is pretty crucial.

BP, I've found that the single reg system just isn't stable enough for a sniping based system. It was giving me fluctuations of well in excess of +/-30fps. The Female Stabiliser is brand new (well a little old now, but was brand new when I tried it last time).

Having done a lot of digging, the consensus was that a secondary regulator would iron out those spikes caused by seepage into the primary and also allow for a more tuneable set-up. It probably doesn't help the set-up being mounted laterally, but I want the system firmly placed on the gun and not remote hosed based. I put my rifle down (a lot) in order to switch to my pistol for room clearance so don't want to have to keep 'disconnecting' myself.

And seeing as gas rifles are inherently unstable due to their very nature, the more help the better.

I love my gas rifles, I've had Tanaka's ever since I started and this DSR is beautiful in every way barring its performance (and seeing as thats the top priority for me in a rifle, it has to be right), but I've been tainted by the phenomenal accuracy and stability of the VSR (yes I know I shouldn't compare a gas based and spring based system but what's a man to do!) and unfortunately thats spilled over into this project.

I've got to get this DSR firing at 500fps (it's so heavy I don't really want to have to run about with it.... getting old see), and I've got to be able to hit a good torso sized target at 70m+. So Stability is pretty crucial.

Whoa whoa there coochese. +/- 30fps?! Brand new or not your regulator is either malfunctioning, a defect, or you have other issues causing those problems. At worst your o-rings are letting micro units of liquid CO2 pass through and flash expand on the other side. A double regulator setup can solve those problems as the first regulator would act as a catch-all and the second as a proper reg much like the Cold Shot kit setup. But then an expansion chamber or even an extended macro-line for the unique way you want to set this up would do that same job and for much much less. You might want to consider that before you drop the extra cash for another regulator.

Would recommend doing a full check of your air system for any leaks while under pressure with some soapy water. Check for proper magazine to air nozzle/bolt fitting. And then disassemble your reg to check for any obstructions or possible o-ring degredation. Then give it a proper oiling (silicone, not grease or petrol based).

but I've been tainted by the phenomenal accuracy and stability of the VSR (yes I know I shouldn't compare a gas based and spring based system but what's a man to do!)

Gas rifles can match spring rifles. Their knowledge on tuning and setups far outweighs what we have. Its time to start expanding our codified data a bit.

Archived