AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice mate :) However maybe give the reciever a bit of rub (the flat) in certain places?

disagree. why would there be patches missing on non protruding parts. looks pretty good as it is, maybe focus a bit on the bolt and the edges/raised areas on the sight block, it looks a bit fresh there.

flolito, if that's the steel one you might want to try a little bit of saltwater to add a bit of rust. not permanent, you can rub it off afterwards just do it to speed up the metal oxidisation. the bare steel will start to dull and change colour (oxidisation) on it's own accord, but this takes a long time. i did my AKS74 about a year and a half ago and it looks much more realistic now the metal has dulled. next weathering job i do i'll definitely give controlled rusting a go.

Edited by my_plague_666
disagree. why would there be patches missing on non protruding parts. looks pretty good as it is, maybe focus a bit on the bolt and the edges/raised areas on the sight block, it looks a bit fresh there.

flolito, if that's the steel one you might want to try a little bit of saltwater to add a bit of rust. not permanent, you can rub it off afterwards just do it to speed up the metal oxidisation. the bare steel will start to dull and change colour (oxidisation) on it's own accord, but this takes a long time. i did my AKS74 about a year and a half ago and it looks much more realistic now the metal has dulled. next weathering job i do i'll definitely give controlled rusting a go.

That is true, I've seen a lot of people do that and it looks great, I cant bring myself to blemish my gun. Though the 74 has aquired some good natural ware due to playing in a sandy place. Never heard of using salt water though, sounds pretty nifty.

haha, i started weathering my VFC a couple of days after i got it. i was so worried i'd *fruitcage* it up. the trick is to go steady with a scotch brite pad, you have less chance of overdoing it.

i havent actually tried saltwater, no need to now as the wear on my AK has dulled naturally over a long time. but in theory it should give the same effect, just gently wipe/scrub off excess rust and the steel should have dulled nicely. i've seen people give their AK the far cry 2 treatment (i.e completely rusted) by leaving it in a tub of saltwater, but i reckon a light misting left overnight shouldn't produce stupid ammounts of rust and should do the trick nicely.